snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
kw clubsport vs ohlins

im going to be upgrading my suspension soon for my m2. Which one should i go for kw clubsport or Ohlins (the counterpart for clubsport). The m2 is my daily, so its mostly for street and very little track time.

I chose the clubsport over the v3 because of the 3 way adjustability including dampers. let me know.
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
anyone? i did some searching, i mostly saw threads on ohlins vs m performance coilovers and ohlins vs bilstein
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipersix View Post
im going to be upgrading my suspension soon for my m2. Which one should i go for kw clubsport or Ohlins (the counterpart for clubsport). The m2 is my daily, so its mostly for street and very little track time.

I chose the clubsport over the v3 because of the 3 way adjustability including dampers. let me know.
Two very different coilovers in my opinion. Ohlins is for road and track with single adjustability. CS is definitely more track oriented with camber plates and more adjustments.

If you drive mostly on the street, Ohlins R&T is a no brainer. If you track more than you drive on the street, then KW CS is your best friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
are the ohlins comparable to a h&r sport springs paired with koni yellows in terms of ride quality? or are they more stiffer?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipersix View Post
are the ohlins comparable to a h&r sport springs paired with koni yellows in terms of ride quality? or are they more stiffer?
The easiest way to get an idea about ride characteristics is to compare spring rates. With adjustable dampers it really comes down to the spring rates in terms of stiffness. Off the shelf springs typically have a lower spring rate than coilover options.

That said, I would imagine that the Ohlin's will have a better damper than Koni's for sure. I've had some experience with an H&R/Koni setups, which is a great DYI "club kit", but there's nothing like a properly valved coilover setup for your given spring rate. Ohlin is definitely more road compliant than KW clubsports, the valving is less aggressive to be sure. In my experience Bilstein setups are typically softer than average, although usually the most comfortable of coilover setups.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I'd suggest Ohlins, for your intended use. Or even the KW V3's, non CS version. What makes you think you require that much tune-ability for a primarily "Street" car?

I opted for 3 way CS's for my build, but it will be getting tracked pretty hard and I don't mind the higher spring rate on the street. If I hadn't received a very stellar deal on the CS, the Ohlins were on my build list, hands down best option out there, for under $3k
      12-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I'd suggest Ohlins, for your intended use. Or even the KW V3's, non CS version. What makes you think you require that much tune-ability for a primarily "Street" car?

I opted for 3 way CS's for my build, but it will be getting tracked pretty hard and I don't mind the higher spring rate on the street. If I hadn't received a very stellar deal on the CS, the Ohlins were on my build list, hands down best option out there, for under $3k
ok great thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
Soren535
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS

Don't forget to consider the different warranties. Ohlins 2 year vs. nothing on KW Club Sports.

I was ready to purchase KW V3's for my F22 and was quite happy to see they came with a limited lifetime warranty. Last minute a changed my mind and went with the more adjustable Club Sport 2-ways with camber plates. I mistakenly assumed the same warranty applied, but no... 1 track season in the reservoirs started to leak and I was stuck with paying for a rebuild. If I was more observant and noticed that warranty difference I would have stuck with the V3's and added camber plates separately, for the amount of track time my car sees I don't really need the Club Sports.

From KW's product warranty tab:
"KW Suspensions

Street Coilovers , Variant 1, Variant 2, Variant 3, Street Comfort – Limited Lifetime Warrantee
Bushings, Bump stops and Ball Joints - 1 Year
Club Sport Coilovers, 2 way Race Coilovers, 3 way Race Coilovers – No warrantee
."
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #9
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren535 View Post
Don't forget to consider the different warranties. Ohlins 2 year vs. nothing on KW Club Sports.

I was ready to purchase KW V3's for my F22 and was quite happy to see they came with a limited lifetime warranty. Last minute a changed my mind and went with the more adjustable Club Sport 2-ways with camber plates. I mistakenly assumed the same warranty applied, but no... 1 track season in the reservoirs started to leak and I was stuck with paying for a rebuild. If I was more observant and noticed that warranty difference I would have stuck with the V3's and added camber plates separately, for the amount of track time my car sees I don't really need the Club Sports.

From KW's product warranty tab:
"KW Suspensions

Street Coilovers , Variant 1, Variant 2, Variant 3, Street Comfort – Limited Lifetime Warrantee
Bushings, Bump stops and Ball Joints - 1 Year
Club Sport Coilovers, 2 way Race Coilovers, 3 way Race Coilovers – No warrantee
."
Thanks for the info.i didn't know that
Appreciate 0