BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 13

11-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #45
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

well, I test drove yesterday. Was going to trade in my 991 and M4. Driving home to get the M4 and I realized I like my Porsche much better than the NSX. Something about the NA engine sound and manual shifting just made it more enjoyable. 50 grand off was tempting though.
2015 Cayenne Diesel
2017 M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #46
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Great deal! The NSX is a great car. Very tempting to take a look now.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #47
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC X3M40i, DINAN M5 V10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
Thanks!

Well, if you need any help let me know or PM me, I just found a guy a 186k sticker one for 1400 a month. Haha.
PM is coming when I return to Chicago Monday! thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #48
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Rated View Post
Quote:
Thanks!

Well, if you need any help let me know or PM me, I just found a guy a 186k sticker one for 1400 a month. Haha.
PM is coming when I return to Chicago Monday! thanks
There Is actually an amazing deal in Chicago for one.
They keep calling me haha!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #49
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991M4 View Post
well, I test drove yesterday. Was going to trade in my 991 and M4. Driving home to get the M4 and I realized I like my Porsche much better than the NSX. Something about the NA engine sound and manual shifting just made it more enjoyable. 50 grand off was tempting though.
Was really considering selling my 991 C2S to pick one of these up, but then I drove the P-car (I don't daily it) and I just can't get myself to do it. I'll miss that crazy howl of the 3.8
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:01 PM   #50
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC X3M40i, DINAN M5 V10

Thumbs up

Quote:
There Is actually an amazing deal in Chicago for one.
They keep calling me haha!
Really!?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #51
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
Was really considering selling my 991 C2S to pick one of these up, but then I drove the P-car (I don't daily it) and I just can't get myself to do it. I'll miss that crazy howl of the 3.8
There is an allure to a C2S 991, it's a Porsche after all! There is no wrong choices here! I still miss my 991 GT3 at times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Rated View Post
Really!?
Yeah absolutely!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #52
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04mazdaspeed View Post
Great looking car! I could never understand the appeal of leasing a car though. I get that it allows you to get into a nicer car for less money but you always have a payment though.
Under a 6 year period, you are paying less for 2 new cars than 1 financed car. After 6 years, your financed car starts to have an advantage when it comes to money out of pocket. If you plan on keeping your car more than 6 years, you buy. If you don't, then you lease. Keep this in mind: The entire lease payment is subject to a business expense, while your financing payment is not. If you are a business owner, this is something to consider.

The appeal of a lease is real, even financially. Yes, you are paying more, but you are getting into a new car every 3 years. You pay less if you want to drive an old car in 6 years. It actually makes perfect sense.

BTW: I own 2 cars, 1 is paid off, the other is very close. And I lease 2 more cars. The only thing that sucks about having this many cars is the insurance.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:55 PM   #53
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
We should seriously start a thread about great deals on $100k+ cars. Most people think they are priced out of range, but you would be surprised. This is a GREAT deal on an NSX. Want an even better deal?

Visit your local Maserati dealer and look at the GTs. There's a fire sale going on. I'd be all over some of these deals if I had anymore room in my garage!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 01:36 AM   #54
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

So, how’s it drive? Is it deserving of all the hate that it has received?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:56 AM   #55
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
So, how’s it drive? Is it deserving of all the hate that it has received?
It's one of the better drives I owned. Although Im basing it off a 30 min test drive. The hate for this car I don't understand, it seems like those mags who reviewed it didn't understand the point of the car. It's not supposed to be an first gen NSX with more power. It's what the first NSX did to the car world which was revolutionize and this car does the same with hybrid technology and whatnot. It drives like a GTR mixed with a GT3.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 05:00 AM   #56
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

I wish i was rich....
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #57
04mazdaspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Under a 6 year period, you are paying less for 2 new cars than 1 financed car. After 6 years, your financed car starts to have an advantage when it comes to money out of pocket. If you plan on keeping your car more than 6 years, you buy. If you don't, then you lease. Keep this in mind: The entire lease payment is subject to a business expense, while your financing payment is not. If you are a business owner, this is something to consider.

The appeal of a lease is real, even financially. Yes, you are paying more, but you are getting into a new car every 3 years. You pay less if you want to drive an old car in 6 years. It actually makes perfect sense.

BTW: I own 2 cars, 1 is paid off, the other is very close. And I lease 2 more cars. The only thing that sucks about having this many cars is the insurance.
I still only find a lease somewhat smart if you can write if off for a business expense. While I can agree if you like changing cars every couple years and can stay under the mileage constrants, then more power to you. But still you will always be in a payment which to me is dumb. I suppose I'm in the minority but at 28 with a house paid off and multiple cars paid off and no debt, for being a lowly blue collar worker, I would say im doing It right. I know some people that choose to lease just to get into a certain car because the payments lower and then the end of the lease, they either have to lease again for buy and take a loan for 60 months just to keep that same payment. I dunno, leasing definitely isn't for me. My point was spend over 1300 a month just to throw it away on rent for a car, I suppose that's only for very rich people. Any while I say that I could afford to spend that as well but I wouldn't do that deal in a million years.
      11-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #58
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

You're not crazy, we are a dual professional income household and business owners but i still cannot make leasing add up.

For an NSX though i'd lease.

Between buying and leasing it is very tight but CPO wins hands down every time. The amount one can claim and write off is pretty minimal at best. See maths below;

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #59
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I still only find a lease somewhat smart if you can write if off for a business expense. While I can agree if you like changing cars every couple years and can stay under the mileage constrants, then more power to you. But still you will always be in a payment which to me is dumb. I suppose I'm in the minority but at 28 with a house paid off and multiple cars paid off and no debt, for being a lowly blue collar worker, I would say im doing It right. I know some people that choose to lease just to get into a certain car because the payments lower and then the end of the lease, they either have to lease again for buy and take a loan for 60 months just to keep that same payment. I dunno, leasing definitely isn't for me. My point was spend over 1300 a month just to throw it away on rent for a car, I suppose that's only for very rich people. Any while I say that I could afford to spend that as well but I wouldn't do that deal in a million years.
Look at it this way: leasing for 3 years costs about the same as financing for 3 years and then selling it for a new car. Except that you have less cash flow for 3 years and you have to go to the trouble of selling the car.

I wouldn't necessarily want to have a paid off house either. I'd rather have paid three 30 year mortgage payments for a short amount of time on 3 separate homes and made triple gains on 3 houses over 1 payment to pay the house off in less than 10 years to only make 1/3 of the profit. On the other hand, your have piece of mind that you own your home. Different folks, different strokes.

Appreciate 1
cenix379.00
      11-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #60
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991M4 View Post
I had this same feeling as well.

The drive of the NSX just felt "made up" to me either way the lease rates the OP got is just fantastic not to take a double take on.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #61
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something fast

Quote:
The allure of "owning something" - a car, a house, a boat, etc. - has been decreasing over the past few years as the millennial generation invents and uses new platforms to consume without owning something. This generation sees it as an anchor to their lifestyle.

I'm in the middle somewhere between owning and leasing. I want my wife to drive something relatively new and we know about how much she will be driving per year. If she gets into a fender bender (ding to carfax), who cares. Never out of warranty and usually free maintenance, yay! On top of that, leasing is generally cheaper than financing. So leasing it is for the daily driver type of cars.

There are some cars that I will finance though (i.e. gt3)

No way would I pay everything upfront (as opposed to taking a loan) for a car if it were >$30k. I can easily take that cash and put it into a 529, ETF, 401k, or whatever and get 3-5%.... and finance the rest at ~2% through a credit union.

As for leasing the NSX. I think it's a good idea. They are a hard sale now at $50k off msrp new. In three years you will struggle selling it for a decent price if you own/finance it. Most likely come out ahead in a lease vs. selling it / trading it in on your own.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #62
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post
The allure of "owning something" - a car, a house, a boat, etc. - has been decreasing over the past few years as the millennial generation invents and uses new platforms to consume without owning something. This generation sees it as an anchor to their lifestyle.

I'm in the middle somewhere between owning and leasing. I want my wife to drive something relatively new and we know about how much she will be driving per year. If she gets into a fender bender (ding to carfax), who cares. Never out of warranty and usually free maintenance, yay! On top of that, leasing is generally cheaper than financing. So leasing it is for the daily driver type of cars.

There are some cars that I will finance though (i.e. gt3)

No way would I pay everything upfront (as opposed to taking a loan) for a car if it were >$30k. I can easily take that cash and put it into a 529, ETF, 401k, or whatever and get 3-5%.... and finance the rest at ~2% through a credit union.

As for leasing the NSX. I think it's a good idea. They are a hard sale now at $50k off msrp new. In three years you will struggle selling it for a decent price if you own/finance it. Most likely come out ahead in a lease vs. selling it / trading it in on your own.

Not to mention that the residual is artificially inflated to help the car move. If you buy a new NSX, you will be losing a lot more money in the long run.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #63
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not to mention that the residual is artificially inflated to help the car move. If you buy a new NSX, you will be losing a lot more money in the long run.
Exotic car resale values work very differently to regular cars like M3's/M4's/M5's though. Chances are it wont drop under 90k or 100k for at least 5 years due to being a hybrid that looks exotic in nature. You can't find any newer exotics under 120k anymore even if they are a complete flop like the MP4-12C which is unreliable/ugly and it's still fetching 120k. It's extremely hard to predict for this car specifically where it'll go value wise (whether up OR down). My 570s was losing was felt like 15k a month in value on the used market, but my friends Huracan was stagnant as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I had this same feeling as well.

The drive of the NSX just felt "made up" to me either way the lease rates the OP got is just fantastic not to take a double take on.
Yeah, I would agree hence why I said it's like a GTR mixed with GT3. It's almost insane it how it handles the way it does, but that's because of the torque vectoring. Coming from a GT3 myself, it is a very different experience but it works. And yeah, like you said.. what else can you be paying monthly for $1,400 a month.. an M4? A loaded C63? new Z06? It's a steal and best part of all, it's 10k miles each year and you just give it back!

Last edited by GhostyM; 11-17-2017 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #64
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Exotic car resale values work very differently to regular cars like M3's/M4's/M5's though. Chances are it wont drop under 90k or 100k for at least 5 years due to being a hybrid that looks exotic in nature. You can't find any newer exotics under 120k anymore even if they are a complete flop like the MP4-12C which is unreliable/ugly and it's still fetching 120k. It's extremely hard to predict for this car specifically where it'll go value wise (whether up OR down). My 570s was losing was felt like 15k a month in value on the used market, but my friends Huracan was stagnant as hell.

True, but I'm talking about the NSX specificallyl. I don't think they are in the same category as a Huracan, or even a 570s, despite the initial price tag. I don't think they have the "gotta have it" factor that the Huracan does. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car, and you got a great deal and I would have jumped on it too.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #65
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Personally rather have an M3.. not into cars which look like rocket sleds
M3 punches alot of sport but still has some class
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #66
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, but I'm talking about the NSX specificallyl. I don't think they are in the same category as a Huracan, or even a 570s, despite the initial price tag. I don't think they have the "gotta have it" factor that the Huracan does. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car, and you got a great deal and I would have jumped on it too.
Thank you!
Well I have had a 570s, Turbo S and spent significant time in a Huracan.. there really isn't a difference in terms of presence or perceived value. The NSX is as quick as the other cars I've just mentioned. It looks every bit as good. It's definitely more reliable (I hope of course). I can drive it WAY more thanks to the lease model of 10k (good luck driving 10k in a supercar every year, say good bye to your resale value). The NSX is priced quite low compared to the aforementioned cars, and from my point of view, you'd lose much more money buying a *desirable* Turbo S or a new 570s than buying a new NSX yet getting the same looks/performance/drive experience.

Absolute truth right there but people think they cost the same which once again isnt even close. A similar 570s, Huracan, or Turbo S costs at LEAST 60k more than an equally equipped NSX, hence why its a great value especially for the steal of 140k after discounts.

I'm not saying this as a fanboy, but people need to understand the market of exotics and how much it actually costs to own one. A base LP610 230k Huracan costs 80k more than a base NSX (which will lack the same amount of tech/amenities/features that the NSX offers). I'm a brand atheist, I've bought Fords, BMWs, Mercedes and many other brands over the years and found something great about each and every brand, but it sucks when I read about how "much" the NSX isn't in the "league of exotics" only due to either price or performance: Magazine reviews expecting a N/A V10 with RWD, mechanical steering, Ayrton Senna inspired body control and a manual, when that was never the point of an NSX. The second thing being performance which is funny because: The NSX runs extremely low 11's/high 10's depending on the track. It does great around a track, but like I said.. results were skewed because people didn't understand the point of the new NSX. Not trying to sound like a fan boy but I could write this kind of stuff for any car I've owned, most opinions I seem to read or hear about any given car is typically from readers.. not owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Personally rather have an M3.. not into cars which look like rocket sleds
M3 punches alot of sport but still has some class
To each their own, but these cars aren't really cross-shopped as they fit completely different needs.

Last edited by GhostyM; 11-17-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18652.50