BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone X fits in the wireless charging cradle

11-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #45
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F87 MG DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Does Apple car play work over wifi?

If so, does it require the data SIM in the car to be activated?
it doesn't require a data SIM for the car but certainly for the iphone you are pairing with. also, both wifi and bluetooth has to be on for the phone to make the carplay connection with idrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #46
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPizzz View Post
Is the cradle padded at all on the top or bottom? I got careless and wouldn’t want plastic scratching the stainless band.
yes, the top and bottom are padded with some kind of rubber so practically no risk of scratching the stainless band
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #47
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftsham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Does Apple car play work over wifi?

If so, does it require the data SIM in the car to be activated?
it doesn't require a data SIM for the car but certainly for the iphone you are pairing with. also, both wifi and bluetooth has to be on for the phone to make the carplay connection with idrive.
Thanks. CarPlay over wifi, in combination with wireless charging, is huge, but I'm not planning to keep the AT&T SIM in the car active. I worried iPhone might try to use the same wifi connection for internet access. I appreciate your reply!
      11-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #48
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Has anyone with a MY16 M2 been able to retrofit the wireless charging cradle in the center armrest?

I was reading on another thread that you can do it if you have option 6NS,convenience telephony with smartphone connection.My car has that option and I would like to do the retrofit if it can be done.
Bump - same question - can you retrofit it?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #49
JPizzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftsham View Post
yes, the top and bottom are padded with some kind of rubber so practically no risk of scratching the stainless band
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #50
dromk
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wireless charging mat

The current M2 doesn't have this kind of setup quite yet does it??

https://youtu.be/OvVKnC6gGtg?t=897
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #51
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

This is a subtle iPhone X owner brag thread right?
      11-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #52
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
This is a subtle iPhone X owner brag thread right?
Not exactly. What's there to brag about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=R59TevgzN3k
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #53
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
can i still connect to the wireless carplay if it is not charging? (regardless of whether it is wireless or plugged in charging)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #54
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Yes, CarPlay and charging are completely separate. With my iPhone 6, a iQi adapter and case I often have problems with charging being interrupted randomly on trips because the phone gets shaken out of position, the only thing that changes in CarPlay is you start seeing a battery level indicator. When charging the indicator disappears and it re-appears once it loses Qi charging.

I'm still waiting for my iPhone X, I am pretty hopeful that the built-in Qi will be a bit more reliable than my current Qi adapter + case (it used to be more reliable for me on other charge pads but now it's a bit iffy).

Last edited by tux2005; 11-10-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #55
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
I am pretty hopeful that the built-in Qi will be a bit more reliable than my current Qi adapter + case
ive had my phone for a full week now and was actually out the entire day on sunday doing some spirited driving on mines rd and mt hamilton and the phone stayed completely charged in the wireless cradle.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #56
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

It works! ??
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #57
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Here's an idiotic question. I really prefer having a phablet (Samsung Note 8) so it's not going to fit. What am I losing in that case ? Just the wireless charging (which is apparently rather slow anyway) ? If I connect my USB charging cable that takes care of the charging but what about connectivity ? Or is that by bluetooth in all the above cases (I really don't fancy setting up the bluetooth connection each time I get in the car) ? I'm wondering whether the USB charge cable will allow data and voice transfer as it's much quicker just to plug the phone in. Then there's the wifi but if I understand correctly to use this you have to pay for an extra sim-card for the car.... Sorry but, as you can see, I'm quite confused.
There's no "setting up" for the Bluetooth "every time you get in the car." You do it once, and it just connects, assuming you haven't turned off Bluetooth on the phone for some reason (there really isn't one, when Bluetooth is idle / disconnected it uses such a tiny amount of battery there is no reason to keep turning it on and off).

With an Android phone, the USB cable will only charge and potentially allow music access (most likely the phone shows up like a "USB stick" to the car), plus whatever it can do with the phone on an app-specific basis, if anything.

The only thing the wireless charging is for is convenience, but since you have to open the center console just to put the phone in there, I'd argue that there isn't much convenience at all. Easier to just plug the phone in and drop it in the front storage tray in front of cupholder, at least with the LCI cars where there is a USB plug between the cupholders.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      11-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #58
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I don't have an iPhone X, but I've got to say the wireless charging works incredibly well with my LG G6.

I wasn't expecting it to a) fit, and b) charge at anywhere near a decent rate, but it does both.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it will charge a G6 from flat to 100% in about 2 hours. The special fast charging wall wart takes 1.5 hours to do the same, so this is mighty impressive.

I don't think I'm going to need to carry a USB charging cable or a cigar lighter charge in the car at all, which is a really good thing given the small amount of storage space in the M2!

I can't argue with ZPrime's comment that having to open the center console is a bit of a frustration, and I have lost count of the number of times that I've left my phone in there by accident...

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #59
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Here's an idiotic question. I really prefer having a phablet (Samsung Note 8) so it's not going to fit. What am I losing in that case ? Just the wireless charging (which is apparently rather slow anyway) ? If I connect my USB charging cable that takes care of the charging but what about connectivity ? Or is that by bluetooth in all the above cases (I really don't fancy setting up the bluetooth connection each time I get in the car) ? I'm wondering whether the USB charge cable will allow data and voice transfer as it's much quicker just to plug the phone in. Then there's the wifi but if I understand correctly to use this you have to pay for an extra sim-card for the car.... Sorry but, as you can see, I'm quite confused.
Since you're on Android you wouldn't have CarPlay to lose, I don't think you'll be missing anything. Bluetooth should work for audio and at least some controls. I don't know what options there might be with USB and Android, I know with my previous BMW which didn't have CarPlay, when using USB I would get "better" Spotify connectivity, it would sort of be controllable through iDrive (it was a rather buggy and unreliable). Before I had CarPlay then wiring in always provided more features, I would expect that is still the case.
There a big difference in audio quality when using CarPlay vs Bluetooth. Wireless car play sounds noticeably better.
      11-21-2017, 04:16 AM   #60
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
There a big difference in audio quality when using CarPlay vs Bluetooth. Wireless car play sounds noticeably better.
I find it hard to believe that anybody can actually tell the difference in a noisy automotive environment. Not saying it's impossible, but it just seems unlikely to me. Have you ever tried a blind test with somebody else screwing with the sources so you're not biased?

I'm a "lapsed musician" (spent roughly 40% of my high school life doing band/music-related stuff, then stopped in college which I regret to this day), and in normal listening I can't tell the difference between music streamed via Bluetooth off my phone vs. a USB stick connected in the armrest... and my ears are still pretty good.

I can definitely tell the difference between satellite radio and a "local" source (USB or Bluetooth), but I honestly don't think I'd ever notice USB vs. BT unless I stopped the car, turned everything off, and kept flipping between the two.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #61
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Does wireless charging work with a thin case on the phone? I bought the iPhone X Silicone Case from apple and am wondering if it'll work (still waiting 2-3 weeks for the phone).
Wireless charging in the car works even with my thick otterbox commuter on my Iphone X
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #62
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that anybody can actually tell the difference in a noisy automotive environment. Not saying it's impossible, but it just seems unlikely to me. Have you ever tried a blind test with somebody else screwing with the sources so you're not biased?

I'm a "lapsed musician" (spent roughly 40% of my high school life doing band/music-related stuff, then stopped in college which I regret to this day), and in normal listening I can't tell the difference between music streamed via Bluetooth off my phone vs. a USB stick connected in the armrest... and my ears are still pretty good.

I can definitely tell the difference between satellite radio and a "local" source (USB or Bluetooth), but I honestly don't think I'd ever notice USB vs. BT unless I stopped the car, turned everything off, and kept flipping between the two.
I hear you on the noisy environment. That's what makes me appreciate CarPlay over Bluetooth. I feel like it's got more volume to it. Bluetooth seems like it's either lower or muffled to me or maybe my car has a Bluetooth issue.
      11-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #63
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
I hear you on the noisy environment. That's what makes me appreciate CarPlay over Bluetooth. I feel like it's got more volume to it. Bluetooth seems like it's either lower or muffled to me or maybe my car has a Bluetooth issue.
The Bluetooth audio is affected by the volume setting on the phone. If that's set low because of a Bluetooth headset you use or similar, then your car audio will be low as well. Make sure to turn it up the media volume on the phone if you connect with Bluetooth. Also, remember the media volume over Bluetooth is different from the handsfree volume.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #64
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
The Bluetooth audio is affected by the volume setting on the phone. If that's set low because of a Bluetooth headset you use or similar, then your car audio will be low as well. Make sure to turn it up the media volume on the phone if you connect with Bluetooth. Also, remember the media volume over Bluetooth is different from the handsfree volume.
This exactly!

I wish iDrive had different volume settings for each source. It's supremely annoying to switch to Sat radio and have it be way too quiet, crank it up a bunch, and then go over to USB and get blasted by the level.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #65
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

My MY18 LCI build for USA doesn’t have the Executive Package, so I’m afraid that I won’t have wireless charging. Has anyone found any good wireless chargers for the center console or cup holder? IKEAs new RÄLLEN looks like a viable cup holder option. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40360217/
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #66
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
My MY18 LCI build for USA doesn’t have the Executive Package, so I’m afraid that I won’t have wireless charging. Has anyone found any good wireless chargers for the center console or cup holder? IKEAs new RÄLLEN looks like a viable cup holder option. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40360217/
Does it need to be wireless? Why not look into a dash mounting solution + charging dock?

That Ikea deal won't work in a cupholder, since the phone has to lay flat against it to charge, and there's not enough room in there to fit the dock + a phone.
It is also only a 5W charger; that is currently the max for iPhones but they are supposed to go up to ~7.5W charging in the future with an OS update, so you're better off buying chargers that support at least that wattage.

5W charging is slower than the smallest charging block that comes with an iphone; you can usually charge quicker if you get a 2amp car charger. The factory charging brick is 10w (1amp @ 5v). iPad chargers are ~2amp (20 watt), which is generally the most you can find in a car cigarette lighter/12V socket charger.

Last edited by ZPrime; 11-26-2017 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0