BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Paint protection after re-painting?

10-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Shockwave93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 M2 6MT, '05 330Ci ZHP

Paint protection after re-painting?

I got in a minor accident, and I had to get the front bumper resprayed and the hood replaced.

I had a clear bra on the whole front end, but it's going to have to be replaced. I was told that I have to wait 4 weeks before I can replace it. The paint has to cure fully.

Is there anything I can do to protect the paint from rock chips other than just park the car for a month while the paint cures?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Paint Protection Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave93 View Post
I got in a minor accident, and I had to get the front bumper resprayed and the hood replaced.

I had a clear bra on the whole front end, but it's going to have to be replaced. I was told that I have to wait 4 weeks before I can replace it. The paint has to cure fully.

Is there anything I can do to protect the paint from rock chips other than just park the car for a month while the paint cures?
Were you told this by the body shop?

If so, nothing you can put on the paint will protect it from chips until you can apply PPF.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I can't help you on your protection question, but I've just taken my M2 in to the one shop in Austin that everyone consistently recommends. They've suggested it's 90 days after repainting, I believe ...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

And, I will say, that this whole conversation of 4 wks or 90 days has me wondering how this all works given that the M2's come with some protective film on the rear arches. I don't imagine that BMW paints cars and lets them sit around for either of these durations ...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver21 View Post
And, I will say, that this whole conversation of 4 wks or 90 days has me wondering how this all works given that the M2's come with some protective film on the rear arches. I don't imagine that BMW paints cars and lets them sit around for either of these durations ...
OEM paint goes through a better baking process to cure it more quickly. When you get a body ship to paint your car they either use a lower temps for a short period of time to bake it, or not at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Bull shit on waiting. 4 days and your good to go especially from an approved BMW shop. They paint and bake with the same paint at the same factory temps. Sooner than 4 days and clear bra will not stick properly though.
      02-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Bull shit on waiting. 4 days and your good to go especially from an approved BMW shop. They paint and bake with the same paint at the same factory temps. Sooner than 4 days and clear bra will not stick properly though.
I have heard of clear coat being pulled up when PPF removed on pieces that were painted, baked, then waiting a couple weeks before PPF applied. Maybe the panel wasn't prepped correctly before paint though, I wouldn't know.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #8
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I have seen OEM paint on Honda/Acura products come right off with PPF removal. Luck of the draw. I have removed PPF from painted cars mostly with no issues 98% of time. Bad paint is a bad paint job.
      03-29-2018, 11:44 PM   #9
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I have heard of clear coat being pulled up when PPF removed on pieces that were painted, baked, then waiting a couple weeks before PPF applied. Maybe the panel wasn't prepped correctly before paint though, I wouldn't know.
the fresh paint needs to expel all the gasses, not really an issue of clear lifting i think