BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Scratched my car on every single panel :(

10-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Good PSA to use a cloth like the "Absorber" to dry your car. Simply lay on, pull off. Never swirl, never scrape, none of that. Ultimately you may want to get educated on washing your car. The two bucket method works great if you keep things strict. If you like the wand wash you can do that too, you just need to be very thorough and again, pat your car down, don't wipe.

Definitely go to a bodyshop here. Might cost you but you'll be happy in the end.
      10-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #24
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

On December 31, 2017, if you look back and this is the biggest mistake you made all year.... it was a great year.

I agree with the ones that said to hand it off to a professional detailer. They can work wonders. Keep us posted and let us know how it comes out.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 1
hoyasaxa691.00
      10-10-2017, 01:52 AM   #25
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Good PSA to use a cloth like the "Absorber" to dry your car. Simply lay on, pull off. Never swirl, never scrape, none of that. Ultimately you may want to get educated on washing your car. The two bucket method works great if you keep things strict. If you like the wand wash you can do that too, you just need to be very thorough and again, pat your car down, don't wipe.

Definitely go to a bodyshop here. Might cost you but you'll be happy in the end.

Pretty sure the Absorber is a sure fire way to get swirls in your clear coat. I’d stay far away from that.

Definitely bring it to a pro and don’t try to do anything yourself. Two wrongs do not make a right,
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      10-10-2017, 05:58 AM   #26
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Those OP pictures! I can only imagine the horror.

There is nothing wrong with drying the car with a microfiber towel, just use a clean one? Feel like there is nothing else to be gained from this thread except some beautiful “after” pictures when this episode is over, and I’m confident that will be the case
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #27
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

A competent wet sanding guru will work wonders! Amazing what can be done. Sorry for your misfortune.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #28
GHarris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
On December 31, 2017, if you look back and this is the biggest mistake you made all year.... it was a great year.

I agree with the ones that said to hand it off to a professional detailer. They can work wonders. Keep us posted and let us know how it comes out.
Very true!

Best of luck with the repairs
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #29
Hasan Shaikh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E63 M6, E36 M3 EVO (Euro Spec)

I would also advise against trying anything on your own. Take it to a professional detailer.

Hopefully, it will be sorted and you will be left with some clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #30
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx93 View Post
I picked up this gorgeous, flawless LBB at Performance Center last Wednesday. It rained last night, and after I pulled into my garage, I stupidly decided to dry the car with a squeegee and totally forgot it was covered in dirt and dust from all the highway driving back home. This morning I woke up and found my car like this.

Many of the scratched can be felt with just my bare finger (not even fingernail).

No one to blame but myself. Cant believe I did this to myself, and now have to live with the consequences, a brand new car with major scratches on front fenders, rear fenders, rear bumper, trunk lid and front hood.
We have all made mistakes like this in life, cars, etc. This is an easy fix by a pro detailer.
I bet all of this comes out.

Deep breath my friend!
      10-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #31
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E92 M Sport / 2008 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx93 View Post
I picked up this gorgeous, flawless LBB at Performance Center last Wednesday. It rained last night, and after I pulled into my garage, I stupidly decided to dry the car with a squeegee and totally forgot it was covered in dirt and dust from all the highway driving back home. This morning I woke up and found my car like this.

Many of the scratched can be felt with just my bare finger (not even fingernail).

No one to blame but myself. Cant believe I did this to myself, and now have to live with the consequences, a brand new car with major scratches on front fenders, rear fenders, rear bumper, trunk lid and front hood.
I feel sick to my stomach for you. Not a feeling you are supposed to have. As others have stated, should be able to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #32
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlee23 View Post
Yeah never use a squeegeee gotta use air dryer like a master blaster
Need to be very careful w/forced air too, especially one as strong as a master blaster b/c you can push water into where it normally cannot get into
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #33
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Not sure what type of squeegee he used but the problem may not have been the squeegee as much as the dirt on the car. I have used this in the past w/o one problem on a very wet car... https://originalwaterblade.com/us/

"Absorber" towel wouldn't have help in this case.

The problem is the dirt was not floating above the surface, e.g. soap or water.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #34
longbeachbluem2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '76 2002 / '17 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2004 Audi Allroad  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about that lx93! Notice you're in MA. Any idea where you are going to take it? I'm looking to have mine detailed before hibernation, so hit me up if you know where you're going/need some suggestions.

On another more positive note, congrats on the car and doing both Euro delivery and PCD! And your color choice is perfect #LBBalldayeveryday
      10-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #35
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Look on the bright side - if you take it to a pro detailer and machine polished it will get rid of the orange peel and look better than new!
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      10-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #36
petay135
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Unfortunately not as BMW cleverly make sure the orange peel is under the lacquer

A good pro detailer will have all that out in an hour or so with a Rupes, get it glossed over with something that has plenty of fillers and you will be good to go.

Before you do anything else though, pick up that squeegee, walk over to the bin and toss it in, do it now in fact!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #37
OBXBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017

I did something similar on a black Porsche 25 years ago. Made me absolutely sick but body shop made it new again with wet sanding.

Lesson learned.

Have had multiple black and dark colored cars since then- master blaster or the like is the only way I have found to avoid even tiny swirl marks. I dont touch my cars with microfiber towels until the car is dry, inside the garage and with a spray detailer in hand- and then only very light pressure with a new microfiber towel.

I now xpel and ceramic coat new cars and use foam canon, masterblaster, spray detailer and light pressure with new microfiber towels and have not had a swirl mark in years.

Don't beat yourself up.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #38
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post

Those OP pictures! I can only imagine the horror.

There is nothing wrong with drying the car with a microfiber towel, just use a clean one? Feel like there is nothing else to be gained from this thread except some beautiful “after” pictures when this episode is over, and I’m confident that will be the case

I use a slightly damp microfiber towel. A dry one seems to risk some minor scratching of the clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #39
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

That is painful to look at!

Like everyone else said, that should all come out, and will probably look better than it did before.
Trust me you won?t want to do it yourself. Will take a ton of time and a good amount of skill to fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #40
mrmjk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Sapphire Black

Damn it. I feel so so bad for you man. But nothing is lost just yet. Take it a professional and they'll take care of it. Mine came with a huge scratch on one of the panels (from the dealership, yep they suck that much). Went to a detailer and he fixed it. Now it is in PPF and all is good.

I couldn't sleep when I scratched my rim but its just like when you get a new iPhone and it drops on the floor for the first time. If the car is being driven its okay to have battle scars. Don't stress too much, I did stress at first as well but in the end everything can be fixed
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00
      10-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #41
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Pretty sure the Absorber is a sure fire way to get swirls in your clear coat. I’d stay far away from that.

Definitely bring it to a pro and don’t try to do anything yourself. Two wrongs do not make a right,
Weird, a decade of use, and I still don't have a single swirl. Funny thing about swirls is you actually have to "swirl" or move the cloth or whatever you are using to clean your car to actually get said swirls.

If your car is free of grit aka properly washed, and you keep your towels separated and clean, there is NOTHING wrong with using the absorber in a lay down, lift off manner. Whereas that california water blade that seems so popular around here will absolutely punish you if there is grit attached to the blade surface. To use the blade you will need to use a two bucket method wash and be meticulous. Most people don't do this.

So no I totally disagree. From experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Not sure what type of squeegee he used but the problem may not have been the squeegee as much as the dirt on the car. I have used this in the past w/o one problem on a very wet car... https://originalwaterblade.com/us/

"Absorber" towel wouldn't have help in this case.

The problem is the dirt was not floating above the surface, e.g. soap or water.
Yeah.. nothing would have helped here. The car wasn't clean or the towel had grit in it. Had he used anything else the result would be the same. Again, my recommendation is lay the cloth down, then pick the cloth up. No swirls or scratches.

I actually challenge anyone who's religiously used the water blade immediately after a conventional wand wash to put an LED light up to their car and see what all that scraping has done to the outermost layer of clearcoat.

Last edited by stefan; 10-10-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #42
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Agree with most of the respondents here. Take it to a qualified shop and have them "do what they do"...might cost a bit more than trying to DIY, but likely results will be worth it.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #43
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi, F87 M2 AW EXEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlee23 View Post
Yeah never use a squeegeee gotta use air dryer like a master blaster
Need to be very careful w/forced air too, especially one as strong as a master blaster b/c you can push water into where it normally cannot get into
Yeah I don't stand close with it it's actually mini master blaster I use not as strong
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #44
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
Agree with most of the respondents here. Take it to a qualified shop and have them "do what they do"...might cost a bit more than trying to DIY, but likely results will be worth it.
Good luck.
That's what I would do too.

Those things can happen. We all make mistakes. It sucks and makes us feel frustrated about it, but do know that in skilled hands it can be remedied. And afterwards all will be A-Okay again.

Good luck !