BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 5AP and 8S4 reversal for US LCI Cars

10-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #1
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

5AP and 8S4 reversal for US LCI Cars

In know the LCI M2 has only been out a short while, but for those with the executive package (Adaptive LED Headlights & Automatic High Beams), has anyone tried to reverse the 5AP (Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance) and 8S4 (Variable Light Decoding) decoding that's done on our cars?

Does anyone know if the US LCI 552 (Hex Corona) Headlights have the required masking or LED behaviour for No Glare High Beam (NGHB) and Variable Light Distribution (VLD) to work correctly?

My car is arriving in the US 10/22, and I'd love to get these features enabled if the hardware is there.

If I'm the first, I'd be happy to be a guinea pig for testing, but would need a small amount of hand-holding to learn E-Sys. I'm an engineer, so would be a fast learner, but looking through the threads about E-Sys, there are so many acronyms used with very little explanation. What I'm looking for ideally, is some information on how to backup settings and revert to factory US spec if I mess something up, and then some suggestions of what to try after that.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I'm curious about the same. I have e-sys and I'm an IT guy, plus I have experience with VAGCOM/VCDS on the VW/Audi world... but e-sys is very different and nowhere near as easy to use (having German all over the place doesn't help either... I took French :P)

I wish there was something as easy as VCDS for BMW/Mini.

Whatever I figure out I will definitely try to document somewhere here. I've found that the bimmerworld forum seems to have a much more active coding section, for whatever reason (that's where I've found most of the downloads for the apps / etc).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Whatever I figure out I will definitely try to document somewhere here. I've found that the bimmerworld forum seems to have a much more active coding section, for whatever reason (that's where I've found most of the downloads for the apps / etc).
That would be great ZPrime. Your car is on the same boat as mine, but you'll be getting yours sooner because you'll be on an East Coast port unlike me.

Hopefully you'll have something sorted out by the time mine arrives!

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
That would be great ZPrime. Your car is on the same boat as mine, but you'll be getting yours sooner because you'll be on an East Coast port unlike me.

Hopefully you'll have something sorted out by the time mine arrives!
Don't hold your breath there, I'm going to be busy trying to get rid of my TT and the two sets of wheels/tires I have for it so I can make room for a winter set for the M2... Along with dealing with LIDAR/Radar gear install, PPF, and strongly considering F/R cameras after what just happened with my TT last Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
In know the LCI M2 has only been out a short while, but for those with the executive package (Adaptive LED Headlights & Automatic High Beams), has anyone tried to reverse the 5AP (Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance) and 8S4 (Variable Light Decoding) decoding that's done on our cars?

Does anyone know if the US LCI 552 (Hex Corona) Headlights have the required masking or LED behaviour for No Glare High Beam (NGHB) and Variable Light Distribution (VLD) to work correctly?

My car is arriving in the US 10/22, and I'd love to get these features enabled if the hardware is there.

If I'm the first, I'd be happy to be a guinea pig for testing, but would need a small amount of hand-holding to learn E-Sys. I'm an engineer, so would be a fast learner, but looking through the threads about E-Sys, there are so many acronyms used with very little explanation. What I'm looking for ideally, is some information on how to backup settings and revert to factory US spec if I mess something up, and then some suggestions of what to try after that.
NA F30x LCI's do not have the necessary hardware. Not sure about F87's.

Hopefully the following will help...

Fxx-/Ixx-/Gxx-series Coding:
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post

Thanks for the links Almaretto. I actually found these yesterday when I was doing some research for the I-Step update being discussed in another thread. I've downloaded E-Sys but haven't had a chance to do the install yet.

If I have any questions about theses posts, would it be best for me to ask on the thread there, or email you directly?

Also... how do we find out if the hardware required in present in the LCI F87s or not? Is it a trial and error thing, or is there some other way?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the links Almaretto. I actually found these yesterday when I was doing some research for the I-Step update being discussed in another thread. I've downloaded E-Sys but haven't had a chance to do the install yet.

If I have any questions about theses posts, would it be best for me to ask on the thread there, or email you directly?

Also... how do we find out if the hardware required in present in the LCI F87s or not? Is it a trial and error thing, or is there some other way?
You can post here or message me. Either is fine. If posting, make sure to quote me so I get email notification.

Not sure how to confirm if hardware is present. It was not in Pre-LCI. I guess you could code and use ISTA+ to test light pattern.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:

What exactly is the "necessary hardware"? I thought that it was handled by the camera behind the RVM (also used for lane assist & brake assist), plus the electronics already in the lights for swiveling/etc?

Couldn't you enable it on the Xenon HID adaptives?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What exactly is the "necessary hardware"? I thought that it was handled by the camera behind the RVM (also used for lane assist & brake assist), plus the electronics already in the lights for swiveling/etc?

Couldn't you enable it on the Xenon HID adaptives?
FLA/KAFAS DA+ camera is not the issue. It is the hardware components part of actual headlamps.

Optic Microshutters are imbedded in the Smart Glass Lens on the COB Arrays to selectively dim arrays (or portions of) since they're powered in series and PWM dimming causes very rapid and intense heat buildup. F3x LCI 3er don't have them at all for US cars.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      10-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
FLA/KAFAS DA+ camera is not the issue. It is the hardware components part of actual headlamps.

Optic Microshutters are imbedded in the Smart Glass Lens on the COB Arrays to selectively dim arrays (or portions of) since they're powered in series and PWM dimming causes very rapid and intense heat buildup. F3x LCI 3er don't have them at all for US cars.
Ahhh, so the headlight assemblies are entirely different part numbers for US vs. ROW cars. That's surprising to me, but I guess if the US lights are cheaper to produce, it makes sense.

I always figured the LEDs were separate individual segments that could be activated separately, rather than a single COB assembly using shutters. Fascinating!

So if you want the full adaptive VLD/Antidazzle lighting suite to work over here, you'd likely (not confirmed yet on F87 but seems likely given the F30x situation) have to import the entire headlight assembly from ROW...

Was it possible to enable the VLD/AD system on the old Xenon adaptive HIDs? Or were those lacking certain mechanical aspects needed to handle the job in the US?

It just seems odd to me that the build sheet has specific entries for "decoding" of these features when the hardware installed is actually physically incapable of doing it anyway. One would think that having the "wrong" hardware installed would be enough to prevent those features from working, and that there shouldn't be specific options to "decode" / disable as well. Unless the "decoding" is just a vestigial thing from the cars that are capable of doing the fancy light tricks (like the F80/82 with LEDs)?

Just trying to wrap my head around how BMW does things after living in the VW/Audi world for so long.

Last edited by ZPrime; 10-05-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh, so the headlight assemblies are entirely different part numbers for US vs. ROW cars. That's surprising to me, but I guess if the US lights are cheaper to produce, it makes sense.

I always figured the LEDs were separate individual segments that could be activated separately, rather than a single COB assembly using shutters. Fascinating!

So if you want the full adaptive lighting suite to work over here, you'd likely (not confirmed yet on F87 but seems likely given the 3er situation) have to import the entire headlight assembly from ROW...
There are different part number, but not completely different assembly (See Post). Only BMW knows why there is a difference; I am not sure what was the deciding factor. Even importing does not necessarily work.

Hopefully our market can work out the DOT laws.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      10-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #12
Nezil
Major
Rep

So according to RealOEM, the part numbers for EU are different to US...

US Adaptive LED:
Left - 63117469787
Right - 63117469788

EU Adaptive LED:
Left - 63117469783
Right - 63117469784

Does that mean that we definitely don't have the required hardware? Is there any other reason why there would be different part numbers for US and EU?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So according to RealOEM, the part numbers for EU are different to US...

US Adaptive LED:
Left - 63117469787
Right - 63117469788

EU Adaptive LED:
Left - 63117469783
Right - 63117469784

Does that mean that we definitely don't have the required hardware? Is there any other reason why there would be different part numbers for US and EU?
No; unfortunately, that does not definitely mean you lack required hardware. EU lamps are also not always equipped to display US-mandatory sidemarkers (ie orange lights).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #14
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Was it possible to enable the VLD/AD system on the old Xenon adaptive HIDs? Or were those lacking certain mechanical aspects needed to handle the job in the US?

It just seems odd to me that the build sheet has specific entries for "decoding" of these features when the hardware installed is actually physically incapable of doing it anyway. One would think that having the "wrong" hardware installed would be enough to prevent those features from working, and that there shouldn't be specific options to "decode" / disable as well. Unless the "decoding" is just a vestigial thing from the cars that are capable of doing the fancy light tricks (like the F80/82 with LEDs)?
Pre-LCI F3x's are capable of NGHB.

Agreed. "Properly coding" vehicle without necessary hardware leads to only partial light shaping. To take this further, an I3 will come with decoding variables for some reason on basic LED's that are incapable of any tunneling and removing results in zero change. Just one of the things that only BMW knows why.

Traditionally, decoding required more than simply removing decoding variables from FA and using to apply changes. On cars capable, this alone, would still result in glaring other drivers; additional FDL coding is required.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #15
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
So NGHB on a xenon HID, does that have "Fine motor control" over the highbeam/dipped beam cutoff shutter? Or is it simply a function of the turning headlights + closing the shutter for dipped beam when oncoming traffic is detected?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #16
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So NGHB on a xenon HID, does that have "Fine motor control" over the highbeam/dipped beam cutoff shutter? Or is it simply a function of the turning headlights + closing the shutter for dipped beam when oncoming traffic is detected?
Tech is different in various types of lamps. From Pre-LCI NGHB Guide:

"adaptive Xenon headlights fitted by BMW on US cars lack the required movable mask (or walze in German) needed for the dynamic shadowing and thus are physically incapable of supporting GFHB. By contrast, BMW adaptive LED headlights achieve the dynamic shadowing by pixel light and thus do not require the presence of the walze."

VLD = Low beams & cornering Lights
NGHB = high beams

Last edited by Almaretto; 10-05-2017 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      10-05-2017, 11:30 PM   #17
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Tech is different in various types of lamps. From Pre-LCI NGHB Guide:

"adaptive Xenon headlights fitted by BMW on US cars lack the required movable mask (or walze in German) needed for the dynamic shadowing and thus are physically incapable of supporting GFHB. By contrast, BMW adaptive LED headlights achieve the dynamic shadowing by pixel light and thus do not require the presence of the walze."

VLD = Low beams & cornering Lights
NGHB = high beams
@Almaretto So is that statement only applicable to pre-LCI? This seems to indicate that adaptive LED is OK, but I thought you said that it wasn't on LCI F3x cars.

Another question I have (since my car is still not yet here), do the adaptive headlights in the M2 (both Pre-LCI and Post-LCI) not follow the road based on the steering position? My Jaguar has adaptive Xenons and it doesn't do the NGHB, or change the beam shape based on speed, but it does follow the steering.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 11:37 PM   #18
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
@Almaretto So is that statement only applicable to pre-LCI? This seems to indicate that adaptive LED is OK, but I thought you said that it wasn't on LCI F3x cars.

Another question I have (since my car is still not yet here), do the adaptive headlights in the M2 (both Pre-LCI and Post-LCI) not follow the road based on the steering position? My Jaguar has adaptive Xenons and it doesn't do the NGHB, or change the beam shape based on speed, but it does follow the steering.
NA Pre-LCI with LED's are capable. LCI's are not.

With VLD coding, it will follow the road. It is a speed and steering wheel-based low beam/cornering light system.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #19
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Nezil I'm pretty sure that the only thing that US spec adaptive lights do "out of the box" is turn with steering motion. From what I remember seeing in the manual though, it supposedly only happens at lower speed? My Audi does it even at highway speeds, but ISTR seeing that BMW only does it "up to 25mph" or something silly... But this could be bad memory.

Anything related to beam shape or "becoming brighter" (enabling high beam for only part of the light pattern) is against DOT regulations.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #20
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
NA Pre-LCI with LED's are capable. LCI's are not.

With VLD coding, it will follow the road. It is a speed and steering wheel-based low beam/cornering light system.

View post on imgur.com
Yes, I understand what the VLD does when it's coded, and this should be possible with LCI as well I'd have thought.

With VLD de-coded as it is from the factory, what do the adaptive LEDs do that the non-adaptives don't? What adaptation do they do?

So the reason the LCI F3x LEDs don't work for NGHB is that even though there are multiple LEDs in each unit, they're not separately controlled like they were in the Pre-LCI LED F3x cars, a moving mask is therefore required for the functionality. Am I understanding that correctly?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 11:53 PM   #21
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I understand what the VLD does when it's coded, and this should be possible with LCI as well I'd have thought.

With VLD de-coded as it is from the factory, what do the adaptive LEDs do that the non-adaptives don't? What adaptation do they do?

So the reason the LCI F3x LEDs don't work for NGHB is that even though there are multiple LEDs in each unit, they're not separately controlled like they were in the Pre-LCI LED F3x cars, a moving mask is therefore required for the functionality. Am I understanding that correctly?
The only thing adaptive about lights is the HBA (high beam assistant = on/off). Sometimes you do get slight directing at low speeds (eg turning into driveway), but require separate coding to fully enable VLD.

Yes. As opposed to a physical shutter, the light array selectively dims and shape light pattern:

View post on imgur.com

Without, there is not a perfect tunnel formed and light leakage causes blinding glare for other drivers. Here are more details & here.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      10-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #22
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
The only thing adaptive about lights is the HBA (high beam assistant = on/off). Sometimes you do get slight directing at low speeds (eg turning into driveway), but require separate coding to fully enable VLD.
Isn't BMW falsely advertising the feature then? Auto High Beam doesn't count as adaptive, and it's listed as an additional feature in the 'Executive Package' on the BMW USA website. The details do state:
This technology is combined with the Adaptive feature: at speeds up to 35 mph, the headlights swivel to follow bends in the road, based on your steering wheel motion and other metrics.
If that's true, I suppose it would count, but it's not particularly impressive. I'm pretty sure my Jaguar does that at highway speeds as well and isn't limited to 35 mph!

Is it possible that with VLD de-coded we're only getting the 'Cornering Light' in your diagram below? EU cars seem to be able to do this up to 70 km/h, which is ~ 43.4 mph?

Quote:
Yes. As opposed to a physical shutter, the light array selectively dims and shape light pattern. Without, there is not a perfect tunnel formed and light leakage causes blinding glare for other drivers.
The image you linked here clearly shows the shutter; what do we have to do to get the car to do this (if it's possible). Is that just the pattern for high beam at slow speed (stopped) up against a wall?

Since we're in a position where we're not sure of the abilities of the LCI F87, it really needs someone to perform this test after coding NGHB doesn't it. If we don't see the cut out from the shutter (or the similar LED behaviour), then we know it's not safe to code without doing an EU light retrofit - Correct?

Appreciate 0