BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Break-in driving experience?

08-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #1
jaflak
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Break-in driving experience?

Hi All,

For the past year, i have been 'that guy' who reads in the dark and nobody even knows that he's there. Well iv'e finally created an account and this is my first post.

Last December, i put myself on the waiting list at Sylvania BMW (Sydney) for the M2. Literally, last December and it arrives in 2 or so weeks (already docked at Port Kembla ). I'm upgrading from a Hyundai i30 (I know right, so much for baby steps). Great news is, it was an early July build, therefore an LCI

Every day, i have watched videos, reviews, read forums, etc.. I have only ever seen the M2 about 7-8 times on the road and yet to hear it roar (i have heard the Cold Start though - WOW!)

The question that i have today - what's the overall driving experience like during the break-in? Will i still feel a fair bit of power? Looking for your experiences and answers, without the obvious "It'll still be much quicker than the i30" I do drive my brother's Audi SQ5 a fair bit, however i know that this is quicker by about 1 second (which is heaps in car language)

On another note - video's do no justice for volume. Is it really loud? And will i hear much of it during the break-in?

Incase you're interested - Long Beach Blue, Sun-Roof, Heated Seats (no longer standard with the LCI)

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
Egress
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Congratulation! I went through the same! Waited also about 8 months for my mineral grey and also read everything I could find about the M2, watched every video on YouTube etc.
In terms of feeling the power during break in. Well I did it this way: the first 300km I really drove very smooth, especially let the breaks settle by not breaking too hard.
After 600 or 700 i went above 3500 rpm, all very smooth, no quick acceleration, just let the motor get the revs without doing a kick down. And after 1000km I adjusted the rpm to the full break in amount of 5500. Still no hard breaking, vary the revs, shift a lot just to also break in every gear in the gearbox, though this oil won't be changed during break in service. Only motor and rear diff oil will be changed.
Just before 2000km i nearly drove it as hard as normal but not over 5500rpm!
You will hear the sound I promise although I got my M performance exhaust mounted just before delivery but when I test drove the M2 i loved the noise. This was actually the first car ever where I not only had a grin in my face when hearing the sound and especially the pops and cracks but also giggled like a school girl and laughed out loud because inhaftiert so much fun!
Now when i heard that there is an exhaust that just deepens this experience i immediately had to order it and never looked back!
It is so much more emotion and to me, worth every penny! Yes you have to cut the OEM exhaust, and yes there have been people that had the exhaust coming loose. I never experienced any of these flaws and the only thing I can report is that after 3000km i had to adjust the right side where it is mounted to the car because it got slightly unaligned. This can happen when something is getting that hot and I got it sorted in 5 minutes.
Hope that helps to shorten your wait a bit!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Huge congrats on the car and 1st post OP, good work.

Power IMHO is honestly the same in break in?? I never quite understand the question that keeps popping up. Launch control gets enabled and the oil gets changed, no magic +100HP. It's just that some follow run in and this keep the revs lower etc and thus it may seem a faster car than before.

Don't forget plenty of pics once you have it
      08-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

What JustChris said and truth be told, just drive the damn thing,people go so cray cray about these first 1,200 miles. Don't. Just enjoy and try not to beat the living crap out of it, ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #5
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaflak View Post
Hi All,

For the past year, i have been 'that guy' who reads in the dark and nobody even knows that he's there. Well iv'e finally created an account and this is my first post.

Last December, i put myself on the waiting list at Sylvania BMW (Sydney) for the M2. Literally, last December and it arrives in 2 or so weeks (already docked at Port Kembla ). I'm upgrading from a Hyundai i30 (I know right, so much for baby steps). Great news is, it was an early July build, therefore an LCI

Every day, i have watched videos, reviews, read forums, etc.. I have only ever seen the M2 about 7-8 times on the road and yet to hear it roar (i have heard the Cold Start though - WOW!)

The question that i have today - what's the overall driving experience like during the break-in? Will i still feel a fair bit of power? Looking for your experiences and answers, without the obvious "It'll still be much quicker than the i30" I do drive my brother's Audi SQ5 a fair bit, however i know that this is quicker by about 1 second (which is heaps in car language)

On another note - video's do no justice for volume. Is it really loud? And will i hear much of it during the break-in?

Incase you're interested - Long Beach Blue, Sun-Roof, Heated Seats (no longer standard with the LCI)

Thanks guys!

deleted
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #6
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egress View Post
Congratulation! I went through the same! Waited also about 8 months for my mineral grey and also read everything I could find about the M2, watched every video on YouTube etc.
In terms of feeling the power during break in. Well I did it this way: the first 300km I really drove very smooth, especially let the breaks settle by not breaking too hard.
After 600 or 700 i went above 3500 rpm, all very smooth, no quick acceleration, just let the motor get the revs without doing a kick down. And after 1000km I adjusted the rpm to the full break in amount of 5500. Still no hard breaking, vary the revs, shift a lot just to also break in every gear in the gearbox, though this oil won't be changed during break in service. Only motor and rear diff oil will be changed.
Just before 2000km i nearly drove it as hard as normal but not over 5500rpm!
You will hear the sound I promise although I got my M performance exhaust mounted just before delivery but when I test drove the M2 i loved the noise. This was actually the first car ever where I not only had a grin in my face when hearing the sound and especially the pops and cracks but also giggled like a school girl and laughed out loud because inhaftiert so much fun!
Now when i heard that there is an exhaust that just deepens this experience i immediately had to order it and never looked back!
It is so much more emotion and to me, worth every penny! Yes you have to cut the OEM exhaust, and yes there have been people that had the exhaust coming loose. I never experienced any of these flaws and the only thing I can report is that after 3000km i had to adjust the right side where it is mounted to the car because it got slightly unaligned. This can happen when something is getting that hot and I got it sorted in 5 minutes.
Hope that helps to shorten your wait a bit!
Congrats!

I am not sure if you wanted break in advice, but here goes in case of you care:

First, the engine should be slowly warmed while driving each and every drive whether during break in or post break. I.e. keep revs below 2500 +/-. I would suggest letting the engine idle statically for 60 seconds or so before driving and warming as stated above. Be certain to frequently ~ very frequently~ vary engine RPMs. No full throttle applications until after 1200 miles, however, never lug the engine. Although no full throttle applications you should load the engine by slowly applying power. Other components need to break in as well so not hard braking, etc. Braking should be firmly and slowly applied whenever applicable in a braking situation. I hope this helps. You may want to search other proven break in procedures by known and respected people in the industry. I have been away from M cars for a few years but am sure you can find some great reading. Porsche's GT guru, Andeas Preuninger has gone on record with some great advice. He may be addressing Porsches but similar rules would apply to each brand. No disrespect to anyone offering advice, however, you should listen to known facts not someone offering what works for them (This includes me of course, although most or all of my advice is objective) this includes BMW sales people who tell you 'the engine does not need break in', 'it's broken in at the factory' or 'drive it like you stole it, it'll run faster'. My 2018 arrives in a few weeks. My break in will be as described.

Last edited by devo; 08-25-2017 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, i3

So... my day job is engine R&D. We need to run engines on dynos to measure fuel consumption and emissions. We need stable engines to test, and new engines are unstable. Therefore, to run them in we start them up; check to make sure there or no leaks or problems, and then turn them up to rated power ( WOT @ max power speed) and let them sit 20-40 hours. We benchmark brand new vehicles and every engine gets the same treatment. Lots of Internet fail around here
Appreciate 1
rouxeny240.00
      08-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
iQuiet
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

I've had the car for 15,000km. Exhaust is not bad, for a stock car sounds great, but uncomparable to an aftermarket exhaust.
And driving on normal roads, I don't think the engine ever sees much above the 5,500. And Max power and torque are in that cerci its anyway! By the time you get higher, you'll be in jail 😂
You'll love the car. From an i30. It's a massive difference! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #9
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

running a new engine on a dyno does not "break it in"... yes, lots of internet fail around here.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
gsrbri559.50
      08-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
running a new engine on a dyno does not "break it in"... yes, lots of internet fail around here.

serious question

unless you are planning to keep your car well past warranty period, what is the point of the engine break-in? will it significantly effect your car in the short term (upto 50,000kms) if you don't?

every dealer demo i have ever driven, i have thrashed the crap out of and then they sell it as if it were pretty much a brand new car, warranty intact

Last edited by kab_m2; 08-25-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #11
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab_m2 View Post
serious question

unless you are planning to keep your car well past warranty period, what is the point of the engine break-in? will it significantly effect your car in the short term (upto 50,00kms) if you don't?

every dealer demo i have ever driven, i have thrashed the crap out of and then they sell it as if it were pretty much a brand new car, warranty intact
Ohhh it is the debate of many here (and there are lots of threads about it).

I'm in the camp that the worst thing you can do is baby the engine for the first 1,200 miles - google "engine breakin secrets"

Others, who have credible sources too, believe that it is imperative you not only keep it below 5,500 RPM for the first 1,200 miles, but you also not go crazy until 2,500+ miles.

Like I said, serious debate
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
      08-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
serious question

unless you are planning to keep your car well past warranty period, what is the point of the engine break-in? will it significantly effect your car in the short term (upto 50,00kms) if you don't?

No, I mean it's under warranty anyway then what's the downside. However the next person who you sell the car to is going to get fucked, but maybe you're okay with that.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
serious question

you should be proud... you are the reason i don't like buying used cars.

that aside, an engine properly broke in will perform better and longer.
Appreciate 2
gsrbri559.50
963mw331.00
      08-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
serious question

No, I mean it's under warranty anyway then what's the downside. However the next person who you sell the car to is going to get fucked, but maybe you're okay with that.
Bought my 2008 M5 with 120 miles and 9 months of love from "test drives" at the dealer. As opposed to many V10 M5s "properly broken in", mine never burned a drop of oil and pulled strong and hard...always.

Would have loved to have compared it vs a "properly broken in" car on the dyno.

So no, I disagree that the 2nd buyer is F'd
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #15
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
serious question

you should be proud... you are the reason i don't like buying used cars.

that aside, an engine properly broke in will perform better and longer.
Ok so even though BMW recommends engine break-in, every dealership on the planet has disregarded this for every single demonstrator vehicle they have ever sold

I don't get it
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:09 AM   #16
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Seems like there should be some scientific data on this somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:54 AM   #17
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

the below link has some good points but the basic idea is that its an engine. need to get the oil flowing before going at it. my car made funny smells for the first 2K, a wax like smell. there was a ton of mold release on the pss' as I found out first hand. my car was wound very tight on delivery, drove like crap for 150-200mi vs every 911 and audi s4/s5 I have owned. I really thought I made a huge mistake until a few days passed. I got the oil out of there at ~600mi. my dad was an organic chemist, phd from u of chicago. smart guy and I heard an ear full about oil growing up. basically oil changes are cheap insurance. he created filters for auto industry testing resulting from car engine run ins and i still remember him showing me all the crap that happens on a new or even old engine. good luck, as other will chime in you will love the car

Appreciate 3
devo755.00
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      08-26-2017, 04:50 AM   #18
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Heat and cooling cycle matter as components settle in. Short and longer drives with varying load and engine speed. A bit of variable terrain is nice for a boost driven engine as well. Going up elevations, adding some throttle/boost. I drive 3-4 times per day with new power units and let them heat up then cool off.

Other owners may have different techniques but I adopted my contacts/ engineers at Porsche for their advice and use it. Early oil changes on a passenger car are needless with modern oil per their research. Track work that is aggressive requires more changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #19
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok so even though BMW recommends engine break-in, every dealership on the planet has disregarded this for every single demonstrator vehicle they have ever sold

I don't get it

Because it's a demo...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #20
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't get it

Because it's a demo...
What's your point...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:07 AM   #21
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaflak View Post
Hi All,

Thanks guys!
Congrats ! You'll love it. The car is in my opinion no quiet, you'll hear it, especially in MDM / traction mode it'll pop and crack like crazy.

As for the power feel, it'll be there, the torque is available so low on the rev range.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:18 AM   #22
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Congrats on the M2, you will feel plenty of power and hear your fair share of sounds within the restrictions of the break in period. Personally I would ignore the advice of the various strangers here on the internet as to how to break in your car and go with the factory recommendation. Unless one of those guys are offering a warranty with their unsolicited advice.
Appreciate 0