BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M performance exhaust + ER catless dp

12-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #23
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
How does the ER have terrible fitment? I have an ER DP from my 435i ready to install once I finish breaking the car in.

My friend has an ER DP installed on his M2 and nothing wrong with it.

I'm weirded out because another friend with an M2 faced some issues installing his Wagner DP on his M2 after removing it from his M235i.

So can you please clarify that a bit?
Copied from another post of mine:

Don't get ER, terrible fitment (even though I have it lol). The downpipe basically touches the coolant line that's near the turbo outlet. The ER logo plate welds have cracked, it's currently held by one "spot" weld of the total 4 that hold it. Also, the 2 stock brackets that hold the stock downpipe, only one of them fits the ER (even though it's supposed to have both), the second one doesn't line up. ALSO, the side that attaches to the catback is so small, the lip/curve isn't large enough so you really need to clamp it down and TRIPLE check there are no gaps or it just pops off...it’s a leak waiting to happen.

Honestly, in my experience ER products suck. Poor quality and fitment. I've had their intercooler and charge pipes as well. Charge pipes were probably the "best" of their products but still meh better options out there.

Many other choices in regards to downpipes!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #24
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
Quote:
How does the ER have terrible fitment? I have an ER DP from my 435i ready to install once I finish breaking the car in.

My friend has an ER DP installed on his M2 and nothing wrong with it.

I'm weirded out because another friend with an M2 faced some issues installing his Wagner DP on his M2 after removing it from his M235i.

So can you please clarify that a bit?
Copied from another post of mine:

Don't get ER, terrible fitment (even though I have it lol). The downpipe basically touches the coolant line that's near the turbo outlet. The ER logo plate welds have cracked, it's currently held by one "spot" weld of the total 4 that hold it. Also, the 2 stock brackets that hold the stock downpipe, only one of them fits the ER (even though it's supposed to have both), the second one doesn't line up. ALSO, the side that attaches to the catback is so small, the lip/curve isn't large enough so you really need to clamp it down and TRIPLE check there are no gaps or it just pops off...

Honestly, in my experience ER products suck. Poor quality and fitment. I've had their intercooler and charge pipes as well. Charge pipes were probably the "best" of their products but still meh better options out there.

Many other choices in regards to downpipes!
Damn. This is the first time I hear about such a thing.

Will have to take a look when installing mine, but ran it for 1.5 years with no problems.
      12-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #25
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Will have to take a look when installing mine, but ran it for 1.5 years with no problems.
Most people have shops install their stuff, in my experience shops don’t care and just make things “fit”...so the customer never knows.

It was pretty frustrating mating the Akrapovic Exhaust to the downpipe...since the lip isn’t big enough, when tightening the clamp it’s almost impossible to have the two touch each other with a perfect seal.

Having only one bracket fit isn’t a big deal but you’d expect it to, so obviously that shows the quality of their products.

As for it touching the coolant line or whatever that metal line is (that’s the reason most downpipes including stock have a dent on the side where it mates to the turbo), I tried to slide a piece of paper in between and it wouldn’t go through this shows there isn’t a gap. As I mentioned, the ER logo welds broke, the logo is also on top of the dent, I noticed the logo plate raised slightly up so perhaps that’s what is touching the line.

It’s working however, as it’s still on my car haha. But if you were buying a new downpipe I suggest you look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #26
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
Quote:

Most people have shops install their stuff, in my experience shops don’t care and just make things “fit”...so the customer never knows.

It was pretty frustrating mating the Akrapovic Exhaust to the downpipe...since the lip isn’t big enough, when tightening the clamp it’s almost impossible to have the two touch each other with a perfect seal.

Having only one bracket fit isn’t a big deal but you’d expect it to, so obviously that shows the quality of their products.

As for it touching the coolant line or whatever that metal line is (that’s the reason most downpipes including stock have a dent on the side where it mates to the turbo), I tried to slide a piece of paper in between and it wouldn’t go through this shows there isn’t a gap. As I mentioned, the ER logo welds broke, the logo is also on top of the dent, I noticed the logo plate raised slightly up so perhaps that’s what is touching the line.

It’s working however, as it’s still on my car haha. But if you were buying a new downpipe I suggest you look elsewhere.
I'm trying to figure out whether that small vibration I had in the steering wheel when cold starting was due to the ER DP.

Your explanation about the dent on the DP and the gap could be the reason to that vibration.

I bought the ER because everyone on the forums crowned them as the best for when aiming for 600+ bhp, so thought might as well get it, and it hasn't given me any issue besides being the possible cause for the steering rattle.

Given that you're unhappy with the ER, you obviously must have another DP purchase about to happen, which DP are you planning in getting?
      12-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #27
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out whether that small vibration I had in the steering wheel when cold starting was due to the ER DP.

Your explanation about the dent on the DP and the gap could be the reason to that vibration.

I bought the ER because everyone on the forums crowned them as the best for when aiming for 600+ bhp, so thought might as well get it, and it hasn't given me any issue besides being the possible cause for the steering rattle.

Given that you're unhappy with the ER, you obviously must have another DP purchase about to happen, which DP are you planning in getting?
I like the design of the large, slow tapering however lol. I’m not sure, when I do an oil change I’ll check if I can see soot anywhere near the downpipe/catback clamp to see if it was leaking. If it does, I’ll get the Akrapovic catless downpipe, if not, I think I’ll just leave it? Not sure.
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      12-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #28
AK.Alexx
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 on order

Strange, I had a catless downpipe on my M135i. Non problems. I also had ER Chargepipe. No problem at all. Was planning to fit them on my M2 in combination with MPE.
Appreciate 0