BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Question for the board: Nanotech paint protection vs wrap/clear bra

10-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Question for the board: Nanotech paint protection vs wrap/clear bra

What are the opinions of those here regarding nanotech paint protection?
From what I've gathered, it's good for protection against dirt and rain (which we get a lot of here in south Louisiana) as well as against damage from bugs on the highway-- also a big issue here.
It doesn't protect against rock chips, however, and it's questionable whether it protects against small scratches/swirls........
It also lasts maybe a year......?

A good wrap otoh will protect against bugs as well and minor rock chips. I've had two excellent clear bra installations on my previous audi S5 and Porsche 911 GTS, both of which I was very happy with. I know it really depends on who does it.
Not sure how the clear bra looks on LBB, for those who've done it.

When I drive from Lafayette to New Orleans on I-10, I'm most concerned about bugs and to a lesser extent rocks-- especially if I end up auto crossing the car and tracking it to a lesser extent.
Then again, if nanotech protects against minor scratches/swirls, and keeps me from having to wax it for the first 1-2 years, that's a huge plus.

Any thoughts/advice?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
F87E30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E30

I got the front of the car XPEL'd the day i took delivery. Did the whole hood, front bumper, headlights, front fenders, and side mirrors. Looking at the car you cannot tell it is there. I detail cars as a hobby so i still did stuff to the paint that wasn't wrapped in XPEL. I barely drove the car the first three days i owned it because i was busy sealing the paint and just making sure i was doing what i could to protect it. Here are a few pictures of the car after my work. Like i said the front half of the car is wrapped in XPEL but you cannot tell. You have to really look at parts of the front to even notice. 99% of people would not notice it. I also put a coat of sealant over the xpel to help protect it and to bead water. You have to make sure the products you use on the XPEL are safe and wont' damage the film.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

They are two different solutions for two different problems...

And they aren't really comparable...star your search here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=659
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
F87E30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
They are two different solutions for two different problems...

And they aren't really comparable...star your search here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=659
I completely forgot to say this as well. Two different types of products that do different things. Like i mentioned in my post you can do the paint protection on the unwrapped parts of the car and use products that are safe to use on the XPEL for that extra level of protection. But to want one over the other, it's hard to say because like lax01 says, two different solutions for two different problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
I have a full XPEL Ultimate on my LBB and the peace of mind it provides is definitely worth it.
      10-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #6
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Get PPF in the high impact areas (front bumper, headlights, hood, rockers, a pillars, rear bumper near wheels) and coat everything (including the PPF and wheels) for easy maintenance.

The place where I got this stuff done called this PPF combination the track package.

Coatings will not really protect against swirls though you'll hear people swear that they do.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

All good points-- and you guys are right........it's really two different solutions for two different problems. I'm going to get a wrap and then decide on the best paint protection for other parts.
Is XPEL the go to wrap for most here or are there other favorites ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Suntek is also popular these days among installers. I have it on my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #9
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

For PPF, its not about the product, its about the installer...this is also true for tint and just about all other labor-intensive services...

Not to mention, ceramic coating if you go down that road...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #10
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've read some great reviews on the Suntek.
Any appreciable differences between Suntek and Suntek ultra for those who cross shopped?

And yes, no question-- it's all about the installer
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Suntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
I've read some great reviews on the Suntek.
Any appreciable differences between Suntek and Suntek ultra for those who cross shopped?

And yes, no question-- it's all about the installer
Suntek is a 5 year warranty, no top coat

Ultra is 10 year with a hydrophobic top coat.

Bruce
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00