BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2C front end rattle over repetitive bumps

04-11-2023, 11:40 PM   #23
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Yooras View Post
So don't throw that shop under the bus, especially when they did things the right way AND solved the problem.
He did say it came back after a month though.
Appreciate 1
m2c_6mt48.50
      04-12-2023, 10:37 PM   #24
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
He did say it came back after a month though.
If the problem was fixed by what they did, then it means that noise was coming from the improper mating of those two surfaces. There are many reasons why it could have come back, but when the characteristics of the problem changes, or gets corrected, by a service like that you found the problem.

I'd have to see how bad it got to analyze that specific situation, but to help with that problem I would clean both surfaces extremely well, lubricate the strut prior to putting it back into the spindle, then I would grease the threads AND the head of the bolt (surface that clamps to the spindle), and torque to spec. If the noise returned, then I would start looking for damage to the parts like a bent strut housing.

The bottom line is aluminum parts are much harder to deal with and have far less tolerance for error.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00