BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Pad swap on 2NH experience

04-16-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Pad swap on 2NH experience

In case anyone was thinking about trying this at home. I'm was dreading doing this work. I don't have any form of lift. Only jack stands and floor jacks available. In preparation for more frequent wheel swaps I purchased a new DeWalt medium duty impact. It's awesome (treat yo self).

Things I learned.

The M2 doesn't have a lot of lift points under the car. I had purchased a jack pad for my floor jack. Lucky move as I don't know if I could have done it without. I think my particular floor jack may have damaged the car if I had tried without this pad.

You can't use the lift points and the place a jack stand in the same location. The lift points are tiny. There is no room. You'll damage the car. I had to lift the car so both front and rear wheels were off the ground on one side. Then place a jack stand under the lift points not being used by the jack. I left the floor jack in place for support. For added safety I put another floor jack under the front control arm. No issues with any of this.

I had a set of swivel impact sockets. This worked in my favor to use my impact gun to remove the caliper adapter bolts. They are kinda awkward to get to since the car wasn't very high of the ground.

Make sure you have a torque wrench. I did not replace the caliper bracket bolts. I bought a new set for when I swap the pads back. Im going to put a set of calipers on them to see if I can see any stretch.

First time ever messing with these brakes took 2hrs start to finish. Rear brakes could be done in about 10min per side. Super easy.

Two days earlier I had new SRF put in. When swapping pads I noticed a small puddle of brake fluid under the car. My guess is the old pads being thin allowed more fluid in the system when it was filled so when I pressed in all the pistons it overflowed. I'll probably take it back to the shop to have the fluid level checked. I'm more concerned about what the brake fluid dropped all over under the hood. I wonder if it would have been a good idea to use a syringe a pull out a little brake fluid prior to swapping the pads.

Get a small stool to sit on. Made for a pleasant experience.
      04-16-2023, 11:40 AM   #2
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

Short answer, yes, open reservoir and pull some fluid out of its too high.
Appreciate 0