BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coil Overs?

03-18-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
Azulia
Rep
Drives: M2C

M Performance Coil Overs?

Guys - interested in only purchasing the M Performance Coil Overs if they are are truly an upgrade on the M2C set up. Anyone have thoughts on this? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 11:26 PM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azulia View Post
Guys - interested in only purchasing the M Performance Coil Overs if they are are truly an upgrade on the M2C set up. Anyone have thoughts on this? TIA.
Depends on what you are looking for. Although stiffer than oem they are still undersprung for the weight of the car. As such still over dampened to compensate like the stock setup. Feedback tends to run bit of a performance increase but a bit of an increase in harshness to go along with it. Better than some setups, not as good as others. Might also factor in camber plates to the price to be able to take advantage of a better alignment too.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 11:43 PM   #3
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Depends on what you are looking for. Although stiffer than oem they are still undersprung for the weight of the car. As such still over dampened to compensate like the stock setup. Feedback tends to run bit of a performance increase but a bit of an increase in harshness to go along with it. Better than some setups, not as good as others. Might also factor in camber plates to the price to be able to take advantage of a better alignment too.
What's a good coilover setup for the m2CS in order to retain edc? I used to have Bilstein b16 on my f82. The dampers were night and day on that kit compared to my OEM non comp m4 but I felt as if the springs were just a touch too still, more so in the rear than front.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #4
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
What's a good coilover setup for the m2CS in order to retain edc? I used to have Bilstein b16 on my f82. The dampers were night and day on that kit compared to my OEM non comp m4 but I felt as if the springs were just a touch too still, more so in the rear than front.
Not a whole lot of choices. KW DDC, BMW MPC, Tractive. Of those Tractive is reportedly pretty decent but we have a unfortuante lack of availability and service with them here in the US. KW is ok but a proper non-edc kit will still outperform them and with better ride characteristics.

The spec spring rates on the B16 kit are actually pretty decent for the F8x - better than most kits that are too soft (like the oem). I actually prefer a bit more spring in the front than what they run and close on the rear. This way you don't have to rely on the dampening to compensate like the oem setup. I think the Bilsteins are still a bit overdampened though which likely created the bit of harshness you were feeling in your M4. We spec 700lbs front & 800lbs rear (still divorced) for our Nitron kits and the ride is considerably more compliant than stock. The high speed dampening was the biggest area we had to focus on though to achieve this and still be able to run stiffer springs for the performance.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2023, 12:00 PM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

The appeal is price point, adjustability, looks, and increase on-road handling due to lower center of gravity. They also provide an avenue to maintain your warranty if you choose. I don't think anyone would describe them as track-focused.

For most, this makes them appealing.
Appreciate 1
Stylin.M2270.00