BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Any previous/current M4 or 911 owners regret M2 purchase?

12-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80C,GT4,C4GTS,CT4-BW,MK8

Any previous/current M4 or 911 owners regret M2 purchase?

First, if this topic has been discussed extensively apologies to this forum members.
I am a former M4 owner (2 years of ownership) and current 997.2 GTS and 991.1 C2S owner. The M4 was a DCT and the 911s are 6MT and 7MT. My current DD is a 17’ Subaru WRX base. It’s a wonderful car, but I realize it’s not for me. I initially was looking for a 230i but have talk myself into a M2 (my past record indicates I am very good at doing this).
Any previous/current M4/911 owners have any positive or negative feedback for a M2 as a DD? I will be putting on winter wheels/ tires from my M4. I was told by the BMW genius it would fit perfectly. So no issues driving in the winter.
I am asking because I would like to get a M4/911 owners perspective, since I have not driven the car yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Not a previous owner of those two cars but I can tell you the M2 is a very capable winter car.

What suspension was on your M4? If it was passive, I think it's the same as the M2 and should give you a good indication of how it rides.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I’ve had 2 Porsche, Supra, s2000 etc... And was cross shopping a used Ferrari, used 2010ish 911 turbo, brand new 911’s. Maserati, and brand new Porsche GT4 and M4.

Ultimately came down to price/value and fun factor. Cars always get better so fun factor was high up there. Which meant it had to be compact.

Real decision was vs Gt4 better car on paper and on track.... but $70k+more. Really couldn’t justify it for the performance differential considering I’m not tracking my car.

Porsche turbo...- lost its appeal when they turbo charged pretty much all the new 911 models. Kind of annoyed me.

Maserati-meh, rather get the California, but then it’s automatic.
Used Ferrari.... too much potential maintenance to deal with.

So opted for m2, largely due to twinscroll turbo which is great daily drivability, and torque at 1500 rpm. Plumbing is already there if i want to speed it up. M2 vs m4 largely because of size. Didn’t want to drive a boat around.

This decision took me 1 year. Before i made the decision. And then ordered and waited. I’ll probably keep this for a bit. Have no interest in CSL. Dot. Care about the interior.. i mean Porsche interiors suc too, so basic.

Fun factor check
Price for performance check
Looks good check

P.s. if u don’t like it you can always trade it for something else, given the cars u are comparing. It there is slippage in the trade it’s more than manageable if your finances.. It ain’t a marriage...lol

Only car I’ve ever regretted selling MkiV Toyota Supra. Was going to buy the new z4 but they weren’t taking names yet.
Appreciate 3
S1monQc223.50
      12-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Former M4 owner

I owned an M4 for three years and moved to the M2 once my waiting list period was over. Just for context, both are 6MT and my M4 had cast iron rotors. Not a CP. I have probably 25 track days on the M4 and used it as my DD (through three New England winters). The M2 is now a second vehicle (no winters and not DD).

The M4 has more power, no question. It's significant. It's a more comfy DD and has more room/bigger car, as you know. Also an excellent track car - a bit heavy and easy to over-drive. The horsepower allows you to be less-precise on-track. Not the car's fault, obviously.

The M2 I find more involving and emotional. Analog suspension, smaller/nimbler, a bit more of a momentum car, these days. I also wanted a less exotic car in the event I have an issue on-track (steel rear suspension carrier, no CF roof or deck lid, or driveshaft). It has less repair cost but uses a lot of M4 parts where it counts.

It's a special car. I think the M4 is less so. For a DD - M4. For a sports car/second vehicle - M2 [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      12-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Not a previous owner of those two cars but I can tell you the M2 is a very capable winter car.

What suspension was on your M4? If it was passive, I think it's the same as the M2 and should give you a good indication of how it rides.
It had an adaptive M suspension. In 2015, it was a $1000 option. It made no sense that it was a standard option on M5 and M6 and not in M3/M4. I’m not sure if it is still an option or not. I always kept it at sport mode. I didn’t see big difference between sport and sport+ The comfort mode was too lumpy for me.
If the M2 rides like that of M4, that is a plus in my book.
I wish the M2 had a option on the leather. The Dakota leather feels harsh in my kids 135i and 335is.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
My dad owns a 911 which I occasionally "borrow", mostly because we live in the same city and he doesn't use it, so this isn't really coming from an owners perspective, though, I am listed as a driver, so I suppose I am an owner? Idk

Anyways, yeah, I honestly don't feel like I am missing much by deciding to go with the M2. Sure it's not as capable, but if we're going by a scale, we're probably 9/10ths of the way there. If I wish I could get something that I was missing, it'd a BMW version of Sports Chrono. (Why don't more manufacturers do this, add an option that raises the performance level)

To me, what I love about the M2 is that it's just bare bones. And while the 911 is very capable, the option box was ticked out so it'd have every possible advantage and I think that, while yeah, it's fun, it's kind of boring to always "win".

Win in the sense that, I don't feel like I am the deciding factor between me and the rest of the others on a race track. You can't argue that, if all things equal, a 911 won't NOT be the one to come out on top of the lap times for a track day.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Current or former m4 owner? One statement suggests you don't own one, the next that you will buy winter tires. The M2 will be shit in the winter compared to the Subaru. Even with winters. Car barely handles the power in the dry. Yes, a bunch of people here will argue it will be fine. Think about what it is, high hp,rwd , with 50/50 balance. Very poor basics for winter driving.

Interior is from a 2 series, way below even the m4 and WAY below a Porsche.

The M2 does not ride like the m4. It is stiffer and not adjustable. Not intolerable, but it doesn't compare to the compliance of an adjustable suspension. I've dailied a car with coilovers, sure you can do it, but did you want to? A 991 is much more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtsk View Post
It had an adaptive M suspension. In 2015, it was a $1000 option. It made no sense that it was a standard option on M5 and M6 and not in M3/M4. I’m not sure if it is still an option or not. I always kept it at sport mode. I didn’t see big difference between sport and sport+ The comfort mode was too lumpy for me.
If the M2 rides like that of M4, that is a plus in my book.
I wish the M2 had a option on the leather. The Dakota leather feels harsh in my kids 135i and 335is.
Ok, from memory, the adaptive suspension set to sport equated to the standard passive suspension. Therefore, the M2 suspension should feel a lot like "sport" adaptive in the M4.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Current or former m4 owner? One statement suggests you don't own one, the next that you will buy winter tires. The M2 will be shit in the winter compared to the Subaru. Even with winters. Car barely handles the power in the dry. Yes, a bunch of people here will argue it will be fine. Think about what it is, high hp,rwd , with 50/50 balance. Very poor basics for winter driving.

Interior is from a 2 series, way below even the m4 and WAY below a Porsche.

The M2 does not ride like the m4. It is stiffer and not adjustable. Not intolerable, but it doesn't compare to the compliance of an adjustable suspension. I've dailied a car with coilovers, sure you can do it, but did you want to? A 991 is much more comfortable.
I had the f82 for 2+ years. I recently got rid of it, and I still have the winter setup from my ex M4. Winter driving in the M4 was manageable because winters in Northern Virginia isn’t too bad. Obviously the Subaru is better people mover in poor conditions.
M2 interior is a disappointment. I wish they offer something besides Dakota leather. Porsche made major interior improvements in the 991 model. The 997 had lot to be desire when it came to interior fit and finish and design.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Current or former m4 owner? One statement suggests you don't own one, the next that you will buy winter tires. The M2 will be shit in the winter compared to the Subaru. Even with winters. Car barely handles the power in the dry. Yes, a bunch of people here will argue it will be fine. Think about what it is, high hp,rwd , with 50/50 balance. Very poor basics for winter driving..
It is for this reason that I bought a winter beater (AWD SUV) last week. Never had one before, but I remember the challenges I had trying to winter drive a '93 RX7 while I was in University...thought about changing my name to "Duncan" I was doing so many donuts! When my M2 finally arrives it will sit in the garage on snowy/icy days. FWIW, best car I ever had in the snow was an '04 WRX with proper winter tires...thing was a beast that would go through anything.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
I had the f82 for 2+ years. I recently got rid of it, and I still have the winter setup from my ex M4. Winter driving in the M4 was manageable because winters in Northern Virginia isn’t too bad. Obviously the Subaru is better people mover in poor conditions.
M2 interior is a disappointment. I wish they offer something besides Dakota leather. Porsche made major interior improvements in the 991 model. The 997 had lot to be desire when it came to interior fit and finish and design.
Got it. Damn mobile app doesn't show location. Right, that set up could work, although it shouldn't drive your decision. You could get by, mostly using the snows for the cold, rather than snow.

Yeah, the interior is weak, but the alcantara accents are nice. I also added the performance wheel. I had 3 997s. 2 turbos. The leather and fit is MUCH better than a BMW. I really saw it taking apart the interior upgrading the sound system. I hated the huge center console in the 991 at first, now I like it. I really want a gt3 next.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #12
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

have owned a f80 m3 plus several porsche cars 911 and caymans. The M2 is a great car
its size make it nimble and fun to drive ,
I have had mine for 3 months , and zero regrets
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Damn mobile app doesn't show location. Right, that set up could work, although it shouldn't drive your decision. You could get by, mostly using the snows for the cold, rather than snow.

Yeah, the interior is weak, but the alcantara accents are nice. I also added the performance wheel. I had 3 997s. 2 turbos. The leather and fit is MUCH better than a BMW. I really saw it taking apart the interior upgrading the sound system. I hated the huge center console in the 991 at first, now I like it. I really want a gt3 next.
The GT3 is my son’s dream car. He wants to be physician so he can afford to get it (I hope that isn’t the only reason). I was thinking of a 07’ gt3 because the price point is good, but when would I drive it. It would be $90k dust collector in the garage. I been fortunate enough to have some seat time in a 991.1 GT3. What a machine, absolutely incredible. It makes M4 feel like a Honda Accord. That PDK in the gt3 is light years ahead of the DCT in Bmw’s.
Hope u get it. It is definitely worth the money. Now that they make it in a manual, maybe I should sell everything and get it. Porsche of North Houston has one on sale for $190,000. From what I heard, buyer backed out. And it is a 6MT, same one from the 911 R.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #14
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Hope u get it. It is definitely worth the money. Now that they make it in a manual, maybe I should sell everything and get it. Porsche of North Houston has one on sale for $190,000. From what I heard, buyer backed out. And it is a 6MT, same one from the 911 R.
$190k for a GT3? The new one starts at $144k and when I played with the Porsche configurator, I didn't see the need for hardly any options...
      12-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
$190k for a GT3? The new one starts at $144k and when I played with the Porsche configurator, I didn't see the need for hardly any options...
There is a little discussion on the rennlist about that. Porsche of North Houston are saying that they are just selling it for the owner as a representative, and others are saying the dealer is trying to make a big profit.
I think there is a big markup on the 18’ GT3. Of course, if you has bought a 918 then all future Porsche would have been at MSRP and get first dibs (Porsche is so gracious for allowing us to buy their wonderful cars at MSRP after spending a million). In order to get the 918, I’m sure one had to have bought at least 25 Porsche in the past 5 years. Haha
As they say in Porscheland; if you want to play, you have to pay.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #16
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
The GT3 is my son’s dream car. He wants to be physician so he can afford to get it (I hope that isn’t the only reason). I was thinking of a 07’ gt3 because the price point is good, but when would I drive it. It would be $90k dust collector in the garage. I been fortunate enough to have some seat time in a 991.1 GT3. What a machine, absolutely incredible. It makes M4 feel like a Honda Accord. That PDK in the gt3 is light years ahead of the DCT in Bmw’s.
Manual from 911 R is still different I believe. The 911 R got a single mass flywheel that is exclusive to it. Actual box may be the same, but it won't shift the same. At least that's what a 911 R and Porsche VIP owner told me.
      12-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #17
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

I don't know how we got on the topic of GT3, but I agree...... What a machine! Unbelievable. Wish I never driven in one. It makes everything else pale in comparison.

OK back to reality. For the money M2 is one of the best buys, period. If your budget is int that range the only other thing that compares value wise (but completely different animal) is the GT350. Pick your poison.

If you start comparing to used cars, then we can get back on the topic of M4 and 911. However, you have to decide what is more important. As was stated, M4 is bigger more refined, in reality it has become a 50/50 sports/GT car now, somewhere between what an M3 used to be and an M6 is.
911 is obviously closer to a pure sports car, but on a practicality level can't hold a candle to the M2. For me that was always the main reason I choose BMW's. What other car offers the performance, dynamics and is still this practical?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #18
SHAGG
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1997 Land Rover Def ...  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 Porsche GT3 RS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I owned 997.2 C4 GTS and own M2 now.
The M2 flies under radar much more but isn't as comfortable as the GTS. I'd still probably take the M2 as a daily just so I wouldn't be worrying about my car in a parking lot or dealing with the attitude of other drivers.
Attached Images

Last edited by SHAGG; 12-03-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #19
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 1M

Without hijacking the thread even further but I had a 991 GT3 before a bought my GT4. When I owned these cars I had an M5 as my daily. I never really fell in love with the M5 as it was just too damn big and heavy. The 991 GT3 I loved BUT missed the manual tranny that was in my track prepped 996 GT3 prior to the 991 GT3.

Where am I going with this you ask? Eventually realized that I would rather the GT4 as it was the only GT car that was offered in a manual. Which brings me to the M2. I just ordered an M2 cause I want a nice decent sized daily with a manual tranny to drive. As mentioned before, it can somewhat slide under the radar, has great driving dynamics and IMO is a serious bargain. Trying to pick over a nice 911 or the M2 would be a difficult one but when price is factored in I would say the M2 is hard to beat for the cost of admission.
11' BMW 1M
15' Mercedes GL 350 (wife's daily)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #20
Gadgetman
Captain Darren
United_States
Rep
Drives: Canadian Regional Jet 900

I recently sold my 2015 Porsche GT3. I really love that car but looking for a more practical sports car that can carry my Pilot crew bags. After watching countless hours of BMW M2 videos, I want to visit my local BMW dealer and check it out.

The Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio caught my eye however, the unreliability with problems steered me away from AR. I would be happy to own another BMW M performance car.
2005 BMW E46 M3 TiAg (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Quote:
Good luck with ordering it that way !
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
I recently sold my 2015 Porsche GT3. I really love that car but looking for a more practical sports car that can carry my Pilot crew bags. After watching countless hours of BMW M2 videos, I want to visit my local BMW dealer and check it out.

The Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio caught my eye however, the unreliability with problems steered me away from AR. I would be happy to own another BMW M performance car.
Consider M3 sedan ...
Appreciate 0