rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...t-drive/page-2

"On the road, perhaps not as charming

As charming as the M2 is out on the track, this is not a car that tries to charm everyone. Its ride can feel jittery on mottled surfaces—even though it seems to take some of the hardest impacts from the pavement in stride. And road noise is an everpresent whoosh on smooth highways, more of a boom as the surfaces are coarser.

Out on some surrounding two-laners, we put another 50 or so miles on a manual-gearbox M2. It has great clutch coordination and a linkage that reminds us of past M3 models, yet it’s a bit bittersweet, as it’s not entirely the right pick for control freaks. You can’t turn off the rev-matching feature if you don’t want to turn off stability control as well; and while it would get the revs right the majority of the time, we encountered some clumsy shifts on the road when both pointing sharply uphill and downhill.

We’re not by any means going to call the M2 luxurious. You do get a great set of standard features—with handy daily driver items like heated seats, navigation, and adaptive cruise control, and even including collision warning, pedestrian warning with city braking, and lane departure warning. Inside, you’ll find special M surfaces, and M logos for the gauge cluster, shift lever, door sills, and steering wheel. And the seats, of course, are great—not just strong in side support for the track, but pleasant on the back over those pockmarked two-lane highways."

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...t-drive/page-2
I dunno but have been working my tale off on a musical including a very difficult G chord to be rightfully able to afford a second parking spot and BMW telephony.

It's better to practice in the car with internet access or in a hotel where the neighbors might be hearing some practice. Can't stop thinking about her!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 12:13 AM   #68
windmagnet
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 ordered

Quote:
agree, as I have one. The Elise has very hard suspension and does make a lot of noise when you have the roof on, although, with it off, it's quieter. Since I'm never going to get a test drive of the M2 before I order one I'm very interested in what people have to say about the suspension and noise compared with the Elise. I must say I've never felt the need to wear earplugs though ! I was surprised at the comments about the Exige because that would be very similar to the Elise (same engine, suspension).
There is no comparison between M2 and Exige ride or noise (mine had a Lotus sports exhaust - stage 2?).

My little city drive in the M2 MT at 60 km/hr - no significant road noise, mild exhaust note that rises with revs, no ride issues. For me this will be a very easy car to live with as a DD.

Also, it is much easier to get in and out of the M2!!!!
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 04:42 AM   #69
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmagnet View Post
There is no comparison between M2 and Exige ride or noise (mine had a Lotus sports exhaust - stage 2?).

My little city drive in the M2 MT at 60 km/hr - no significant road noise, mild exhaust note that rises with revs, no ride issues. For me this will be a very easy car to live with as a DD.

Also, it is much easier to get in and out of the M2!!!!
Hum, that IS disappointing to hear !
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #70
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoccultwar View Post
It's hard to say. I got a quote from my auto insurance broker for the 228i, M235i, and the M3/M4. Unfortunately, there is no quote for the M2 yet.

The M235i was only a bit higher than the 228i, but the M3/M4 rate skyrockets disproportionately compared to its underworld sibling.

Insurance rates include many factors including Canadian weight was what the agent said. I'm hoping they measure the driver with Ariana Grande rather than Rita McNeil.

The apparent dealership fees are a bit more taxing than most would prefer so this could be a game changer.
If you disable active sound does the M2 interior get much quieter? Love the car and in particular steering feel vs the M240i but I must be getting old because God was the exhaust noise ever loud and intrusive for a DD. M240i was more livable sloppy steering aside, much quiet and less expensive. The steering is its achilles heel though (but the 8 speed AT was sublime).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #71
bmwizgoat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 sti

The m2 isn't very loud or uncomfortable at all, a little stiff but I had a very comfortable and quiet 6 hour drive recently ..... anybody agree?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #72
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
If you disable active sound does the M2 interior get much quieter? Love the car and in particular steering feel vs the M240i but I must be getting old because God was the exhaust noise ever loud and intrusive for a DD. M240i was more livable sloppy steering aside, much quiet and less expensive. The steering is its achilles heel though (but the 8 speed AT was sublime).
Disable active sound and yes it does get quieter. "Much" that's subjective but I still say yes. However I then put on a Fabspeed sport cat, and the exhaust volume is back, but now it's natural and I love it Plus I get a little better throttle response and a few extra ponies
Appreciate 0