BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW M2 price (Base MSRP) confirmed - $51,000

10-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #243
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
I like the M2. However, to charge a "hype price" the end product must meet or exceed the "hot anticipation". The BMW M2 has not met the "hot anticipation" that enthusiasts had for the M2. Those who like it still mention things they would tweak if they could. I'm not paying a ridiculous price for this car. Every time the suspected MSRP goes up, I cross-shop other models and other brands.
This!
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #244
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
I like the M2. However, to charge a "hype price" the end product must meet or exceed the "hot anticipation". The BMW M2 has not met the "hot anticipation" that enthusiasts had for the M2. Those who like it still mention things they would tweak if they could. I'm not paying a ridiculous price for this car. Every time the suspected MSRP goes up, I cross-shop other models and other brands.
If I don't go M2, I will go there brands as there is nothing else from BMW that I am interested in. My wife is thinking of trading her 5 series in for an X3 but if it goes down like this I will point her in the direction of the Ford Explorer Sport or wait until the Merc GLC comes out.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #245
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeonTiger View Post
Release->measure hype->adjust pricing

As a consumer this sucks, from BMW's perspective, its a no brainer. Sure, it would suck to start higher than $51k, but I honestly wouldn't be surprise with initial reactions stating that this might be the most hotly anticipated BMW since the 1M.
I've been cross shopping for a few months now and there's nothing that I actually liked. I can't bump the budget 10k and its competitors are meh to me so far. Only consideration would maybe be the RS3 and that's not even close to arriving by March.
      10-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #246
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
haha I mean, I don't disagree with you guys. I couldn't justify the car at a higher price either. But at the same time, you are kind of making my point for me! The rumored allocation is around 1000 M2s (or less) for the US. There are WAY more than a thousand people who would buy the car for $51k. Now at $58K? Now we're probably getting closer to widdling down demand to 1000 people. Its econ 101

Sucks? Definitely. Makes sense? Definitely.
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #247
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeonTiger View Post
haha I mean, I don't disagree with you guys. I couldn't justify the car at a higher price either. But at the same time, you are kind of making my point for me! The rumored allocation is around 1000 M2s (or less) for the US. There are WAY more than a thousand people who would buy the car for $51k. Now at $58K? Now we're probably getting closer to widdling down demand to 1000 people. Its econ 101

Sucks? Definitely. Makes sense? Definitely.
Haha! You're right if they only make it for one year. But I thought the low number was just for the first year. They wont be able to sell them if it's a 4 year production at that price.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #248
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Haha! You're right if they only make it for one year. But I thought the low number was just for the first year. They wont be able to sell them if it's a 4 year production at that price.
Maybe I'm completely off base, but I'll agree that it was one of the most anticipated BMWs in years, but I also feel that the response has been luke warm outside the diehard M2 base? Maybe it's just people without allocations playing it cool hoping they can get their hands on one. Or maybe some butthurt 235i owners. Maybe even some M3/m4 owners who feel threatened by all the attention the M2 is getting, but it just doesn't feel like the response to the release has been a slam dunk for BMW.

I'm still very interested in the car, especially at $51k but anything more and I'll have to really think about it. Personally, my biggest gripe is the weight. Pushing well over 3,500 pounds with a few options is just too much for a "pure drivers car" this size. I was probably unrealistic in my weight expectations.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #249
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I think too far into the 50s and BMW sets itself up to be shamed in a year or two. This car will be great, but there are already competitors at a lower price range, but next year and the year after and the year after that, as BMW incrementally increases the pricing across the lineup and other manufacturers are releasing cars that embarrass BMW in regards to lap times and pricing? This experiment only works at a low price point. The Golf Rs, Type Rs, and Ford Focus RSs will be joined by other cars looking to rain on BMW's parade.
      10-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #250
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
Maybe I'm completely off base, but I'll agree that it was one of the most anticipated BMWs in years, but I also feel that the response has been luke warm outside the diehard M2 base? Maybe it's just people without allocations playing it cool hoping they can get their hands on one. Or maybe some butthurt 235i owners. Maybe even some M3/m4 owners who feel threatened by all the attention the M2 is getting, but it just doesn't feel like the response to the release has been a slam dunk for BMW.

I'm still very interested in the car, especially at $51k but anything more and I'll have to really think about it. Personally, my biggest gripe is the weight. Pushing well over 3,500 pounds with a few options is just too much for a "pure drivers car" this size. I was probably unrealistic in my weight expectations.
I'm still holding out hope for the weight. It just doesn't make sense to me...the Din and EU weights are identical to the 1M euro weights but the US curb weight is 150-200 lbs more than the 1M. Hopefully I can get one of these babies and weigh it next to my 1M on the same scale.

I didn't expect it to be lighter than the M235i. Isn't the current M3/4 the only M car that has been lighter than its series car? (Is this even true? I remember BMW advertising 3300 lbs but it ended up over 3500.)

I guess the 1M was lighter than the 135i but only by a couple lbs. I knew in this price range it wouldn't get all of the light materials. It did get some though(M3 suspension).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #251
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl07 View Post
I've been cross shopping for a few months now and there's nothing that I actually liked. I can't bump the budget 10k and its competitors are meh to me so far. Only consideration would maybe be the RS3 and that's not even close to arriving by March.
I agree with you...there aren't many other options in the same price bracket for a coupe or hatchback. There are multiple 4-door options in the same price bracket that will be available in Spring/Summer 2016. I didn't want a 4-door originally, but they are becoming more attractive "on paper" given the engines they have. The appeal could change when I test drive them.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #252
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I didn't expect it to be lighter than the M235i. Isn't the current M3/4 the only M car that has been lighter than its series car? (Is this even true? I remember BMW advertising 3300 lbs but it ended up over 3500.)
According to BMWusa.com, the 328i is 3320 lbs with 6mt and the 340i is 3665 lbs with 6mt.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 12:33 AM   #253
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

When is the pricing coming??
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #254
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep

So what's the best guess as to when we will have official U.S. pricing info?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #255
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
Maybe I'm completely off base, but I'll agree that it was one of the most anticipated BMWs in years, but I also feel that the response has been luke warm outside the diehard M2 base?
Not likely. Our waiting list is already 15 deep and not a single review on the M2 has hit the net. Just wait until the rest of the world hears about it!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #256
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what's the best guess as to when we will have official U.S. pricing info?
LinkF1 in another post responded to me about 1M pricing reveal - it was in sync with the NAIAS debut in Detroit. So, perhaps around January is a good guess if history repeats itself.
      10-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #257
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
LinkF1 in another post responded to me about 1M pricing reveal - it was in sync with the NAIAS debut in Detroit. So, perhaps around January is a good guess if history repeats itself.
US pricing was announce when the car was revealed officially online on 12/09/2010. For an April 16th global launch orders will need to start in January for the US at the latest. I'm guessing November for US pricing info.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #258
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
US pricing was announce when the car was revealed officially online on 12/09/2010. For an April 16th global launch orders will need to start in January for the US at the latest. I'm guessing November for US pricing info.
Ok. I saw some articles on bmwblog that said orders began in December but all the order guides showed msrp "blocked". It said pricing would be revealed when the car unveiled at the show in January. So this corroborated what someone else said. I didn't track the 1Ms history myself though.
      10-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #259
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
If the car is limited for the life cycle then $58k MSRP won't be too bad because it will appreciate over the years. Or at least hold its value for much longer than BMWs normally do. Which is usually pretty bad.

But if it's not limited then at $58k MSRP, BMW will have trouble moving them because let's keep it real, that pretty close to a base M3 that has a lot of things that many have complained the M2 doesn't have. I.e. Cf roof, M-seats, S55 engine etc.

I know that no one really knows what the MSRP will be as yet, and we are all guessing, but I seriously do NOT see it being anywhere near $58k.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #260
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
If the car is limited for the life cycle then $58k MSRP won't be too bad because it will appreciate over the years. Or at least hold its value for much longer than BMWs normally do. Which is usually pretty bad.

But if it's not limited then at $58k MSRP, BMW will have trouble moving them because let's keep it real, that pretty close to a base M3 that has a lot of things that many have complained the M2 doesn't have. I.e. Cf roof, M-seats, S55 engine etc.

I know that no one really knows what the MSRP will be as yet, and we are all guessing, but I seriously do NOT see it being anywhere near $58k.
If the M2 comes in at 58k. It will be a flop.
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #261
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i DCT M Sport

A sales Mgr today told me he's now hearing $52k for base price and was pretty convinced about it. he expects them to option out around 60k, with the options list coming out sometime in November.
He had a 1M Mentality saying its a no brainier to buy and it will only appreciate in value due to lower production numbers compared to other m cars...I told him it was because 1M's were only offered for a year, where M2's won't be, so I don't know...
Guess we'll see soon.

Last edited by Kracken; 11-01-2015 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 06:14 AM   #262
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
A sales Mgr today told me he's now hearing $52k for base price and was pretty convinced about it. he expects them to option out around 60k, with the options list coming out sometime in November.
He had a 1M Mentality saying its a no brainier to buy and it will only appreciate in value due to lower production numbers compared to other m cars...I told him it was because 1M's were only offered for a year, where M2's won't be, so I don't know...
Guess we'll see soon.
It seems like all the dealers are trying to plant this "limited" seed in our minds to justify the markups they are planning to put on the M2. If they mark up, I move on. Period.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #263
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think $51,000 to $52,000 for a base model US M2 is about right if you compare the prices on the German BMW site to the German M235i prices on their site, which comes out to about $7,700. more than the US M235i. I think if they priced the M2 at $5,500. or less than a M235i, they might as well stop making the M235i because it will loose all market share.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 11-01-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #264
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Scott26 said (with what appears to me to be a reasonable amount of certainty) the base price of the M2 would be more than the base price of the Audi TTS which is $51,900. http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-tts-coupe

Caveat: He did not make it clear whether the amount he was referring to was Euro's, UK dollars or US dollars. Having said that, the discussion he entered into was a discussion about speculating the US MSRP.

Last edited by fuddman; 11-01-2015 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0