BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Allocation Waiting List

05-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #573
nishmaster2k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6Spd, '98 E36 M3/4/5

Just heard from my CA, they are still waiting on May allocations, which they expect to receive next week. The CA has indicated that information they have received states ~1700 M2s to be imported for 2016, which I assume to mean calendar year 2016. That puts the dealer average to be about .78 M2s per month. We know some will have more, and some less, so it still looks like either your dealer will be getting about 1 a month or 1 every other month.

I would expect that those on waiting lists higher than spot #4 will need to be at a higher volume dealer in order to expect an allocation this year. However, this is all just information from a single CA, and although I trust this CA, treat it as any other unverified source.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #574
Jalva025dmd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Future 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishmaster2k
Just heard from my CA, they are still waiting on May allocations, which they expect to receive next week. The CA has indicated that information they have received states ~1700 M2s to be imported for 2016, which I assume to mean calendar year 2016. That puts the dealer average to be about .78 M2s per month. We know some will have more, and some less, so it still looks like either your dealer will be getting about 1 a month or 1 every other month.

I would expect that those on waiting lists higher than spot #4 will need to be at a higher volume dealer in order to expect an allocation this year. However, this is all just information from a single CA, and although I trust this CA, treat it as any other unverified source.
My CA says they usually get allocations every 10th of the month so it seems just about right. Hopefully we hear about them next week!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #575
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 (LBB+DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishmaster2k View Post

Fingers crossed!! I'm #2 at my dealer. Hopefully they'll get a couple of allocations on the 10th.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #576
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcubs View Post
Fingers crossed!! I'm #2 at my dealer. Hopefully they'll get a couple of allocations on the 10th.
I agree also! Im number #4, 1 got his 2 is in production. CANT WAIT!! AHHHHHHHH
Alpine White BMW M2 6spd; 2015 Arctic White Yukon XL Denali
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #577
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

#3 at my dealer. 1&2 sold so waiting for the next allocation. Hoping to hear something this month
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #578
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Fall 2017 or thereabouts.
How do you know this...are you a bmw insider? They maybe able to ramp up when the initial 2016 model yr is done and 2017 gets rolling onward. These boards have useful info in some regards buts others is mere speculation based on current gut feelings.
I myself am not, but to make answer short, yes.

BMW will keep numbers low on purpose, as it's supposed to be a hard-to-get car and is being used to move people up to an M4 or down to M235i.

To put into perspective - for every 10 or so cars built at Leipzig, ONE car is a 2-series coupe - the rest are the 1-series or the new Tourer and Grand Tourer FWD cars.

Now, that one car could be one of all the gas and diesel variants (228, 220d, etc, etc, etc), the M235i and the M2.

So if we assume a best case scenario of say one M2 every five or so coupes in total, that means for every 50 cars Leipzig makes, ONE is a M2.

One last point to consider: the 2-series family of coupes is by far the lowest sales family for all of BMW. So while the M2 is a life-saving, paradigm-shifting dream machine, it simply doesn't make enough money to justify building a shitload of them. It's a much more effective tool as a pseudo-halo car that draws people in, and when they realize it'll be 12-18 months out, they pick another BMW.

Exactly ! I began saying the exact same thing 5 years ago as the 1M was being produced and everyone says - you are just speculating !

Yes I am. But all the info is there and one simply needs to put it together.

BMW production models and locations
BMW sales figures
unattractive Lease rates
Marketing strategy/savvy
Sales strategy /savvy
number of available allocations
Lack of profit on low production model

Combine all the data and one realizes that M2 is the sizzle that's selling a lot of M235, M3 and M4 steak for BMW AG... And then one begins to realize ... Hey wait... They really Aren't. Gonna. Crank . Up. Production. Like , They . Normally .Do...

Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #579
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishmaster2k

As a 1M owner that has seen this story before .. I think your CA is spot on and I would be surprised if they can get to 1700. I've got 1500 as my figure for the US. That's double the number of 1M and BMW could sell TRIPLE that amount * if they were prepared to*, which they aren't !

Putting it into approximate numbers to arrive at per dealer is exactly what the people that assume these are Lays potato chips and "they'll make more " need to start watching.

Keep looking at the number of M4 allocations a dealer gets and how many M2 allocations a dealer gets for an understanding of how few M2 will be sold.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #580
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishmaster2k View Post

I could live with this. Just enough production to satisfy the die hard fans willing to wait, but not too much that the market demand is filled and values plummet. I'm willing to wait a while longer to see how this shakes out.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #581
azfootdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 HEA

100% agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Exactly ! I began saying the exact same thing 5 years ago as the 1M was being produced and everyone says - you are just speculating !

BMW sales figures
unattractive Lease rates
Marketing strategy/savvy
Sales strategy /savvy

Combine all the data and one realizes that M2 is the sizzle that's selling a lot of M235, M3 and M4 steak for BMW AG... And then one begins to realize ... Hey wait... They really Aren't. Gonna. Crank . Up. Production. Like , They . Normally .Do...

I 100% agree. I think that if you want to get a M2 you will be able to if you are patient. That said I don't think they are going to be dime a dozen. Not 1M rare but certainly not like the M3/4. Only time will tell.

I find it hard to believe the BMW brass are sitting in Germany going "Wow this thing is really popular. We had no idea this would happen. Quick triple the production next week." Surely they had to have some idea about the demand from data analytic/marketing people. I think people are looking at it from at narrow point of view. They assume hey its popular they will build to suit demand. This I think would be true if it didn't come at the cost of building another car which has a better profit margin at the factory. I do think the M2 is a Halo car. It has done a great job of getting people to talk about the brand and in the door at dealerships. What more could they ask for. That said it would be interesting to know what the profit margin is on the M2 vs other cars built in Leipzig.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #582
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfootdoc View Post
I 100% agree. I think that if you want to get a M2 you will be able to if you are patient. That said I don't think they are going to be dime a dozen. Not 1M rare but certainly not like the M3/4. Only time will tell.

I find it hard to believe the BMW brass are sitting in Germany going "Wow this thing is really popular. We had no idea this would happen. Quick triple the production next week." Surely they had to have some idea about the demand from data analytic/marketing people. I think people are looking at it from at narrow point of view. They assume hey its popular they will build to suit demand. This I think would be true if it didn't come at the cost of building another car which has a better profit margin at the factory. I do think the M2 is a Halo car. It has done a great job of getting people to talk about the brand and in the door at dealerships. What more could they ask for. That said it would be interesting to know what the profit margin is on the M2 vs other cars built in Leipzig.
Exactly. There's no way BMW didn't know the M2 was going to sell like hotcakes. They know they have a winner on the hands - but not only a winner, a winner that harkens back to BMW's roots as 'the ultimate driving machine' rather than the newer 'efficient dynamics' BS they got going on.

Add to that the fact that everyone is taking about how great it is and how hard it is to get, and BMW has now gotten themselves a crazy amount of free marketing. Plus the reviewers themselves are advising people on moving down or up market by saying things like: "if you don't need this much power, get an M235i" or "if you want more power and a luxurious interior get an M4".

The M2 is the new 1M, there's no way around it. The difference is that, while the 1M was limited by hard numbers, the M2 is limited by production capacity. At the end of the day, they are both very limited production halo cars, it's just how you define limited that differs.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #583
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
The first batch of cars (excluding HEAs) isn't even off the line and everyone is coming up with a ton of conspiracy theories. It not like they are stamping out iPhones and have been building up stock for the last couple of months.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #584
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
The first batch of cars (excluding HEAs) isn't even off the line and everyone is coming up with a ton of conspiracy theories. It not like they are stamping out iPhones and have been building up stock for the last couple of months.
Many dealers don't have their HEA's yet either.

Also, what conspiracy theories?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #585
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Many dealers don't have their HEA's yet either.

Also, what conspiracy theories?
Intentionally limiting production. Trying to redirected potential M2 buyer up to M3/M4 or down to M235i, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #586
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
Intentionally limiting production. Trying to redirected potential M2 buyer up to M3/M4 or down to M235i, etc.
The information I said above is a combination of hard data from current, future and aspiring owners, simple marketing theory, the realities of limitations in the Leipzig factory capacity and insider info.

If you can get one BMW person to disprove my previous posts, I'd love to hear it.

PS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
A Dutch article of December 24, 2015 (see here) mentioned that the M2 requires more production time compared to other BMW models. It speaks about briefly taking the M2 out of the production line to prevent production delays for other BMW models (separate treatment off the common production line):
BMW has to take the M2 out of the production line during its production, if it wants to prevent delaying the production of the other models. Producing the M2 requires more work than the production of a 2er Coupé.
Frank van Meel, BMW M GmbH boss, indicated that the M2 has an extra wide body, hosting modified M3 underpinnings. Because of these specific components the M2 production requires more time compared to the standard 2-Series Coupé. In order to prevent that the M2 slows down the production line featuring all other models, BMW briefly removes the sports coupé from the other models [on the production line].
A Belgian who ordered his M2 shortly after the October launch, reported yesterday about status code 111 with M2 delivery expected for September 2016 (instead of earlier as initially assumed). No information whether he's first on the dealer list or not + the precise order date.

I did not inquire yet about the approximate delivery period of mine. No stress.

EDIT 1: EVO magazine confirmed likewise on January 6, 2016 in this article reporting about their time with the M2 (kudos to forum fellow ///Jason for the heads-up on this one):
With regular 2-series produced at BMW's Leipzig facility, and no dedicated line for the M2, M division will convert cars at a separate workshop. This means numbers will be limited, and BMW UK says it'll be 'lucky to get 400-500'.
EDIT 2: Also two other Belgian forum fellows reported on January 6, 2016 about September/October 2016 deliveries instead of April 2016 deliveries regarding their October 2015 orders. One of them got the info in writing that for MY2016 130 M2s were allocated to Belgium and it seems that all were spoken for very quickly (see here).

Rebus sic stantibus, mine is expected to go into production in April 2016.
PSS: http://www.bimmerfile.com/2015/12/17...pped-at-10000/

Last edited by gmzanatta; 05-05-2016 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 04:14 AM   #587
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

I have my production number , supposedly its a June production, but when I call the BMW number they say "your car has been scheduled for production with no estimated production date yet" . Is this normal?
      05-06-2016, 04:24 AM   #588
ILIKEBMW'S
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 528XI

I'm in the same exact situation - I presume a June build but for the last 2 weeks, getting the same message when I can for an update. June will be the last 16 builds from what I understand.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 04:34 AM   #589
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV861792
I'm in the same exact situation - I presume a June build but for the last 2 weeks, getting the same message when I can for an update. June will be the last 16 builds from what I understand.
Whats interesting is my dealer so far has a HEA, and my allocation. HEA's build month is March, mine is June, and #3 which has not been released yet should be in September according to them. So at this rate, looks like an allocation every 3 months, 4 cars a year.
      05-06-2016, 05:44 AM   #590
ILIKEBMW'S
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 528XI

I really don't know - my order is through a larger MA Dealership but have been told from other area smaller dealers, most received an HEA, but they will not be receiving another allocation until June which will be either July / August builds - e.g. 2017. I'm hoping it's still going to be a 16 given the pull back in the maintenance plan and the price increase for the next model year. I'm still on the fence about changing the color - seriously considering Mineral Grey vs. LBB.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 05:52 AM   #591
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV861792
I really don't know - my order is through a larger MA Dealership but have been told from other area smaller dealers, most received an HEA, but they will not be receiving another allocation until June which will be either July / August builds - e.g. 2017. I'm hoping it's still going to be a 16 given the pull back in the maintenance plan and the price increase for the next model year. I'm still on the fence about changing the color - seriously considering Mineral Grey vs. LBB.
I was in the same boat. Originally wanted MG, saw LBB and liked it a lot and thats what i had chosen, and then changed it back to MG once i got an allocation. I feel like the LBB will most popular, and I kinda want a little variety plus i kinda like staying low key with the MG and kind of blend in with the rest of the cars lol
      05-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #592
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

BMW sales figures
unattractive Lease rates
Marketing strategy/savvy
Sales strategy /savvy

The good news? If this is true, and the low production is purposeful and it will not be fixed, then they likely have their pricing strategy set based on this approach and will not be putting a larger price bump (due to high demand). That is, the price bump will be in line with all the other models mentioned to keep the same relative position. Otherwise it skews their strategy.

Always look on the bright side

We will know soon enough.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #593
Roland the HTG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Anyone have a M2 in NE Ohio? I have one "on order" but haven't actually seen one in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #594
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland the HTG
Anyone have a M2 in NE Ohio? I have one "on order" but haven't actually seen one in person.
I do. had it a week
Appreciate 0