BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Military Sales and Pre-sold Demonstrators?

01-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Luftwaffel
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

Military Sales and Pre-sold Demonstrators?

Hey everyone! I've been researching the hell out of the military sales program and trying to make a purchase while I'm actually deployed, but the only MSP dealer that was in my area shut down just last month.

I've contacted dealers from Korea to Germany and have almost exclusively received the same news that they can't ship to the US directly. That's a problem, because I'm deployed overseas as the MSP says is required, but not permanently stationed overseas. Finally I come across Euler who are telling me they can only sell it as a "pre-sold demonstrator" where the dealer drives it around for a total of 3,300 miles and 5 months, at which point it will be sold for 16% off of sticker and shipped to the US.

Anyone have experience or knowledge about this program?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
Hey everyone! I've been researching the hell out of the military sales program and trying to make a purchase while I'm actually deployed, but the only MSP dealer that was in my area shut down just last month.

I've contacted dealers from Korea to Germany and have almost exclusively received the same news that they can't ship to the US directly. That's a problem, because I'm deployed overseas as the MSP says is required, but not permanently stationed overseas. Finally I come across Euler who are telling me they can only sell it as a "pre-sold demonstrator" where the dealer drives it around for a total of 3,300 miles and 5 months, at which point it will be sold for 16% off of sticker and shipped to the US.

Anyone have experience or knowledge about this program?
I am familiar with this challenge. The military sales program is pretty restrictive and the limitation on shipping directly to the US isn't something you can bypass unfortunately. Back in my day if you weren't stationed in Europe German cars were pretty much impossible to get through the program. Sounds to the that the demo car is probably the only way around this because it is a used car so it would essentially the same as buying any used car and having it shipped to the USA. I would have several concerns with this idea, one if the European warranty is not as long or inclusive as the U.S. warranty, I would also worry about U.S. spec and EPA all three issues are significant. The final issue would be it's not likely that a demo with 3,000 miles was broken in per the factory recommendation, it may very well have spent some time on track and without seeing the car in person it is tough to say what the condition of the paint and interior are. Those would be a real issues for me but 16% off might change my mind if I could get the details on those concerns.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Luftwaffel
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I am familiar with this challenge. The military sales program is pretty restrictive and the limitation on shipping directly to the US isn't something you can bypass unfortunately. Back in my day if you weren't stationed in Europe German cars were pretty much impossible to get through the program. Sounds to the that the demo car is probably the only way around this because it is a used car so it would essentially the same as buying any used car and having it shipped to the USA. I would have several concerns with this idea, one if the European warranty is not as long or inclusive as the U.S. warranty, I would also worry about U.S. spec and EPA all three issues are significant. The final issue would be it's not likely that a demo with 3,000 miles was broken in per the factory recommendation, it may very well have spent some time on track and without seeing the car in person it is tough to say what the condition of the paint and interior are. Those would be a real issues for me but 16% off might change my mind if I could get the details on those concerns.
Well, the thing is, I'm not sure if it would even classify as used since like I said, it's a dealer demonstrator. Typically when those are sold here in the US, they're still "new" because they haven't been registered. I'm going to give him a ring Monday to find out finer details anyway, so thanks for bringing that up.

The interesting thing about this deal is they would order it to my specs, as a USDM model. The CA would be the one driving it around personally, having it parked in front of the dealer during the day and garaged at night, with regular detailing and maintenance until the required time and mileage are completed.

Thanks for the info, I think this might be a decent way to go, but there's definitely a level of trust involved.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
BMW Mil
Solly
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

I work for Military Sales myself, it’s a perfectly good way to go. You are correct, it is classified as a new vehicle and still carries the free service and maintenance program. You have the remainder of the US 4year /50k mile warranty too, so the 16% compensates for this. The condition is generally very good. As sales agents we have a high deductible for repairs so we are generally careful. The 1,200 mile service is completed too. I have 1 x Demo model in stock ready to go. Depends on the color and options you want. Be quick though, with the potential CS release In April we May not be able to order the M2 past March?! Not sure yet.
I am happy to assist you too and answer any questions you have. Thanks!!
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      02-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
BoxerBran128
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 Black

Euler Demo

I just purchased my M2 from the US Military Sales at the Euler Dealership in Kaiserslautern. They are good folks. I have recommended them to several of my friends and everyone had a very good experience. I almost bought a demo model based on the savings, but Euler had an even better deal on stock vehicles. What CA are you working with? Do you need any help? Let me know, I will be glad to help. FYI, When I looked into ordering a Demo model, I asked a ton of questions. You are correct, the CA drives the car to and from work. If someone wants to test drive the car, they will warm it up and ensure the engine is ready. Then the CA will ride along ensuring they keep the revs below 4500 and below 100 MPH. They seem to take good car of the demos.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
Nitromidah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerBran128 View Post
I just purchased my M2 from the US Military Sales at the Euler Dealership in Kaiserslautern. They are good folks. I have recommended them to several of my friends and everyone had a very good experience. I almost bought a demo model based on the savings, but Euler had an even better deal on stock vehicles. What CA are you working with? Do you need any help? Let me know, I will be glad to help. FYI, When I looked into ordering a Demo model, I asked a ton of questions. You are correct, the CA drives the car to and from work. If someone wants to test drive the car, they will warm it up and ensure the engine is ready. Then the CA will ride along ensuring they keep the revs below 4500 and below 100 MPH. They seem to take good car of the demos.
Agree with everything stated above. The CAs ensure that the demo car isn't thrashed around too badly.

I just bought my LBB M2. I'll pick it up from BMW World in Munich in March :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
[QUOTE=BoxerBran128;22754396]I just purchased my M2 from the US Military Sales at the Euler Dealership in Kaiserslautern. They are good folks. /QUOTE]

Everyone seems to have great things to say about Euler but they totally screwed me so be careful.