BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Test drove 18 M2 today... thoughts and a few q's

01-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #23
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
While I understand some feel this way... I think the M2 is worth the extra $$$ over a 235/240 just due to how it looks. The extra M2 bits in the engine and suspension are of course worth something too.
Yea, worth it for looks alone, and also for the sound and the differential.
      01-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #24
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Coding works but you have to recode every time there is a software update. Technics sells a bypass harness. Works perfectly and you never have to put up with that fake annoying sound ever again.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #25
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
You have to restore it from an older backup.

Thanks, didn’t back up before setting ASD off.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #26
Fangi0
El Chueco
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT, '15 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll still be getting the manual for the engagement and lower cost

I'll set my expectations low
You are very welcome.

A lot of fun still, caveats you conjectured considered. I am sure you will enjoy it every mile of the road, just not in the same feel (and precision) league as that of your Porsche.

PS : as good as BMW's (GetRag) DCT is (MUCH closer to Porsche's PDK), this is a car which begs for the 6MT. You won't regret it.
      01-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #27
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Thanks, didn’t back up before setting ASD off.
It automatically makes a backup every time you code something in.
Just select any module and you'll see a blue backups button in the bottom left hand corner.
Press it and it will display a backup list sorted by date.
Appreciate 1
Aloha Joe393.00
      01-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #28
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
No drone cruising 80mph in 6th on the freeway in comfort mode.

The suspension doesn't adjust - explains why it felt ok in all modes.

No track? M240 probably a better DD for less $$, both up front and on going.
1. Glad to hear no drone
2. So what does the diff modes actually do? Is it throttle mapping and steering? Per your comment, it doesnt change suspension.
3. Love the aggressive look of the exterior on the M2. 240 doesnt excite me quite as much
#2 - yes plus and some loosening of the safety settings (but not full disabling). You can do a bit of configuration within the idrive too. Someone posted a good reference table on a thread here a while back.

I totally agree, the M2 looks >> m240. And it's definitely a more special car. But if I had a brutal daily commute, deciding would be difficult. Luckily, I don't.
      01-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #29
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

My answers could be a duplicate with some of other posters that replied to your question. But I owned 15 F80 M3 (non-competition) but no Porsche so far. Hope to see myself driving one soon

Exhaust: I see the MPE is $3k, decent value from factory. But what about Dinan? I watched Matt's review of the Dinan M2 and it sounded perfect.

Dinan sounds good but I figure you will get much better options for equal or better sound with same $$. Ramus/ Fi Exhaust will deliver way better exhaust sound compared to MPE or Dinan. "Better" could be very different between individuals, but this is my opinion.

Is the manual pretty good? My 15 M3 was decent. E90 M was rubbery and kinda sucked.

My M3 was DCT. and it is still rubbery but not as much as E90. Changing the stock shift to a shorter CF M performance one will reduce this feel little.

Drone - I heard some drone on the highway, does it go away in comfort? I think it was actually the ASD not exhaust. But it was only 5 min on the highway so hard to decipher.

If you disconnect ASD, which you can do it with coding but not simple plug-out, droning reduces significantly. I have MPE and drove the car without it as well but MPE does make car drone more than one without. I have mine with Fabspeed Sport Cat DP, and it works better reducing drone between 3k-5k in 2nd - 5th gear.
Make sure you disconnect ASD, it gives you way better driving comfort and pleasure. Especially in winter cold temp when you have to close all windows down pretty much all time, ASD will give you more headache compared to hot summer days with all windows down.

Prob more q's to come.

I dont think the M2 CS is worth holding out for. 1) I dont track my car 2) I doubt I can get one 3) it will be more expensive, which probably wont hurt the M2 resale too much.

I think M2 resale value will depend on the price structure of CS. But I would expect M2 CS will acutally higher enough that differentiate the target buyers of "younger fun-drive lovers who cannot afford more than 7-8k on a single car". M2 sits at affordable price range and still give you great experience. And CS will be, IMHO, more than 8k higher than normal M2.

Lastly.. I want to take a spin in a M3 Comp to see if it fixes the steering and exhaust sound. But it wont make the car "smaller"... we'll see.

Competition model does not make much difference in steering, I will say it is almost identical. Still you will miss the feeling of hydrolic. Exhaust is betterIMO M2 give you better steering feel than competition F80, but I actually do miss HUD (just like you) and adjustable damper which will soften up your ride when you are exhausted and coming back home from work.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #30
EL937
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral Grey M2, 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll still be getting the manual for the engagement and lower cost

I'll set my expectations low
I have a 6MT '17 MG M2. If I could say one thing it would be "just buy it". It is the funnest car I've ever owned or even driven really. All the incredible reviews are for real.

Couple observations from my point of view that may interest you.

1.) The manual is a bit rubbery, I'd call the first to second transition "notchy". It feels a tad rough but you'll get used to it.

2.) Lot of people want to code out rev match but personally I love it for DD. Totally understand the engagement from heel toe and thought I would hate rev match but it has actually become one of my favorite features for every day spirited driving.

3.) 3 driving modes plus a bonus exhaust mode - I never drive in comfort mode, just doesn't have the pep I like. I like sport mode and a short press on DSC button that gives you what I'd call a "hidden" exhaust mode which is just normal exhaust tone with tons of extra pops and burbles. Sport+ throttle response is insane, and it's what I use when I really when tear up some back roads but it is too much for just a regular work commute.

4.) I agree that the straight on rear view of the car is its worst angle - something about that trunk is just ugly. The front view / front 3/4 more than compensates though as I think it is one of the most aggressive looking M front ends they've made.

5.) I was dead set on LBB but as soon as I saw a waxed up MG...

6.) I came from a '13 135i and was more nervous about going from hydraulic steering to electric steering than any other change. While I don't think electric can ever give you the road feel that hydraulic does I do have to complement them on how they dialed in steering feel for sport and sport+. It feels a lot better than I expected, so much so that I do not think about it much anymore.

7.) Biggest complaint: rear view camera proximity alert doesn't shut off once you put it in neutral! If you back up in a parking spot and it starts beeping because you are getting close to something, it will just beep forever until you turn the car off or move forward a small distance. Annoying!!

8.) It's a looker and seems to interest people. I get more comments and head turns in this car than I ever expected. It's also "rare" enough that I've only ever seen 1 or 2 others in the wild (live in Charlotte NC metro area).

Once again, conclusion is: just do it. This car is f'ing awesome.
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #31
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL937 View Post

3.) 3 driving modes plus a bonus exhaust mode - I never drive in comfort mode, just doesn't have the pep I like. I like sport mode and a short press on DSC button that gives you what I'd call a "hidden" exhaust mode which is just normal exhaust tone with tons of extra pops and burbles. Sport+ throttle response is insane, and it's what I use when I really when tear up some back roads but it is too much for just a regular work commute.

7.) Biggest complaint: rear view camera proximity alert doesn't shut off once you put it in neutral! If you back up in a parking spot and it starts beeping because you are getting close to something, it will just beep forever until you turn the car off or move forward a small distance. Annoying!!
At this point I'm driving in comfort until the car is warm and then switch to Sport+, well, unless it's raining, then I move to Sport.

If you have BMW update the iStep software on your car it should stop beeping when you put the car in N after backing up. MY18 don't have this issue I believe because they already have the new software.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #32
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL937 View Post
I have a 6MT '17 MG M2. If I could say one thing it would be "just buy it". It is the funnest car I've ever owned or even driven really. All the incredible reviews are for real.

Couple observations from my point of view that may interest you.

1.) The manual is a bit rubbery, I'd call the first to second transition "notchy". It feels a tad rough but you'll get used to it.

2.) Lot of people want to code out rev match but personally I love it for DD. Totally understand the engagement from heel toe and thought I would hate rev match but it has actually become one of my favorite features for every day spirited driving.

4.) I agree that the straight on rear view of the car is its worst angle - something about that trunk is just ugly. The front view / front 3/4 more than compensates though as I think it is one of the most aggressive looking M front ends they've made.

5.) I was dead set on LBB but as soon as I saw a waxed up MG...

6.) I came from a '13 135i and was more nervous about going from hydraulic steering to electric steering than any other change. While I don't think electric can ever give you the road feel that hydraulic does I do have to complement them on how they dialed in steering feel for sport and sport+. It feels a lot better than I expected, so much so that I do not think about it much anymore.

8.) It's a looker and seems to interest people. I get more comments and head turns in this car than I ever expected. It's also "rare" enough that I've only ever seen 1 or 2 others in the wild (live in Charlotte NC metro area).

Once again, conclusion is: just do it. This car is f'ing awesome.
Try post # 136 on this page for the parking sensor issue:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1427747&page=7
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 1
EL9375.00
      01-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #33
EL937
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral Grey M2, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
Try post # 136 on this page for the parking sensor issue:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1427747&page=7
Awesome, thanks man
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #34
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangi0 View Post
6MT "feel" (gear ratios are, of course, different) in the M2 and E92 M3 is about the same --rubbery. Can't compare it to that of, say, a 996.
I respectfully disagree!

I`ve used to own a E46 M3, E92 M3, E82 1M, currently an F87 M2, al 6MT.

The M2 6MT is, by far, THE BEST MT compared to the previous generations, slick as never before, not rubbery, notchy or whatever you`ll call it, it is just sublime.

The clutch however could be better, it`s relatively vaque on feel, pedal travel to long.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #35
Fangi0
El Chueco
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangi0 View Post
6MT "feel" (gear ratios are, of course, different) in the M2 and E92 M3 is about the same --rubbery. Can't compare it to that of, say, a 996.
I respectfully disagree!

I`ve used to own a E46 M3, E92 M3, E82 1M, currently an F87 M2, al 6MT.

The M2 6MT is, by far, THE BEST MT compared to the previous generations, slick as never before, not rubbery, notchy or whatever you`ll call it, it is just sublime.

Not to me. And I could not disagree more.

He also owns a Porsche; M2's 6MT is nowhere close to the feel of P's MT.

To each its own.

Last edited by Fangi0; 01-20-2018 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #36
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Well mine is perfectly fine, that is al I can tel

And better than al my previous Bimmers.

Last edited by Romo; 01-19-2018 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #37
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Porsche and Honda - two companies that know how to make manuals. I don't think I've ever driven a single Porsche or Honda manual that I didn't like. When I drove the M240i and M4 manuals, I didn't think they were as smooth as the Porsche boxes, but I remember getting in and thinking "please just let the BMW manual be nicer than the Borg Warner T-5 that Ford used to put in the V8 Mustangs!" And of course, the BMW is much nicer. It's funny how we all come from different perspectives...if you come from a Porsche the BMW box may seem rubbery, but if you are coming from a Fox-body Mustang or I think any Vette pre-C7, the M2 manual will probably feel like heaven.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #38
Fangi0
El Chueco
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Porsche and Honda - two companies that know how to make manuals. I don't think I've ever driven a single Porsche or Honda manual that I didn't like.
Ain't that the truth... to me, the gearbox in the last Honda Accord (coupe) I had the privilege to drive was sublime.

I did a quick search (I am not regularly active here; don't know content from the top of my head) and found several comments about BMW's MT. They are not directly in line with the OP's need for info (6MT M2 vs E92) but do provide an insight into owner's opinions. This is one (there are others):

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1441946

Last edited by Fangi0; 01-20-2018 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0