BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > 2018 Base Price Increase

01-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. I would hope that most people who have been successful enough in their lives to be able to afford this sort of a car, would have other, more important stuff happening in the coming year than the delivery of a car.

It's just a "thing." In the last year I accomplished a whole bunch of stuff, mostly in the business realm, and I look forward to more of the same in 2018. I hope that others here also have more going on in their lives so as to make the purchase of an automobile just a dot on an "i" or the cross on a "t," in the overall scheme of things.
Seriously, get over yourself. Some people are simply more excited than you are about getting and enjoying their cars. There’s nothing wrong with that, nor is there anything wrong with tracking the car’s build to the nth degree if that’s your thing.

Your humble-brags are getting old and your insinuation that you’re somehow more evolved because your priorities lie with your “business accomplishments” is misguided, especially on a car enthusiast forum. In other words, if you’re going to post veiled value judgments of folks who are interested in the particulars of their car’s build progress, there’s got to be a better place to do it than on the very forum where those folks come to learn how find those details in the first place. The “I have better things to do than fret over my car” vibe just seems weird...coming from someone with 1500+ posts, no less.

I’m personally a hell of a lot more excited about my family, my car, and my other hobbies than I am about whatever the hell I accomplish during my day job.

Last edited by kfscoll; 01-03-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 5
bobert858.50
No Boost4021.00
2M500.50
junx602.50
      01-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #24
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
I’m personally a hell of a lot more excited about my family, my car, and my other hobbies than I am about whatever the hell I accomplish during my day job.
Good. I am happy for you. I am even happier that you don't work for me.
      01-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #25
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good. I am happy for you. I am even happier that you don't work for me.
Oh FFS, that’s pretty rich. Oh well, the feeling is mutual. Despite my flippant comment, I do take pride in my daily work, but I don’t feel that work accomplishments are my number one priority in life. Obviously you do. And that’s okay. What’s not cool is belittling other people because they get more joy than you do out of the entire car buying process.

I think you know this already though and post this and some of your other comments just to stir the pot. You’re probably a blast at parties.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #26
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh FFS, that’s pretty rich. Oh well, the feeling is mutual. Despite my flippant comment, I do take pride in my daily work, but I don’t feel that work accomplishments are my number one priority in life. Obviously you do. And that’s okay. What’s not cool is belittling other people because they get more joy than you do out of the entire car buying process.

I think you know this already though and post this and some of your other comments just to stir the pot. You’re probably a blast at parties.
I have heard that I am a blast at parties, but I'm too modest to repeat that here :-) My response was also flippant, for which I apologize.

I am sure that you take pride in your work and I am sorry if I gave you the impression that only my work is important to me. I work by choice, as an owner and entrepreneur. I could, alternatively just sit on my ass, and it would make no difference to my ability to buy an M2, however I would be bored, and we can both agree that boredom is bad. I already tried that; retirement does not suit me.

I am also not saying that people should not be excited about a car that they ordered, and having anticipation for receiving it. We all (OK, most of us) enjoy buying things and then love to receive them when they arrive.

What I can't do is to devote the next 3 or 4 months tracking every movement that occurs in the production of my soon-to-be- M2, then sitting around waiting for it to be delivered. Before that happens, my business is going to open a new location, which is really exciting to me. We will have a bunch of new employees, and lots of decisions to make. Believe it or not, I enjoy what I do. I also hope to do some real estate deals, to travel, to get together with family, to do all kinds of shit.

I used to have a job that I trained about 10 years for, which I grew to hate, and ultimately walked away from a high 6-figure income when a 6-figure income meant a lot more than it does today. Life is too short to hate what you do.

I'd rather live in the moment than live for 4 months from now. If I take care of the moment, then 4 months from now will take care of itself, also.

Peace.
      01-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #27
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^^
Fair enough and it's all good! It's definitely tough to discern nuance when reading internet forum posts. Sorry if I completely misinterpreted your posts.

I just (finally) got my allocation yesterday and don't yet have a production number/order number/whatever. I'll ask for all that info eventually and I'll probably will track my car's progress just because I can. Honestly I don't see any good coming from it though -- at best it'd just cause me to worry about things I can't control anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #28
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

I did track my car's progress thru its production & delivery. Not because I was worried about anything or obsessed wit it, but rather out of simple curiosity.

Once I knew it's production number & VIN I could obtain updates on it's short production window, it's location & it's delivery schedule.

In random idle moments at work I could instantly see where it was on it's journey from the port at Bremerhaven, to Belgium, the UK and on thru the Panama Canal before arriving at Port Hueneme. Even have a webcam image of the ship it was on going thru the Miraflores locks. Just mild entertainment that even had a few co-workers asking "where is it today?"

Are there more important matters in my daily life? Of course. But I probably squandered equal time on otherwise insignificant matters as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #29
Mr 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

The whole process of tracking a build came from a m3/m4 forum member. Typical cost of m3/m4 is mid 60 to 70k range. I’m surprised by the price increase. Like other posters mentioned just check with th CA. Usually they will honor the original lower price.

I saved up and worked hard to buy my m2. Tracking and getting updates from bmw geniuses was the gravy and fun for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #30
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

In our case, we're going to have to pay it. We requested ED in May, which put us into Q2 allocation, which meant Q1 paperwork and purchase order so we have to eat the price increase.

I may ask the dealer to help us try to recapture that loss via savings on accessories and things we want to add to the car - what we lose on the price increase maybe we can get back via savings we otherwise wouldn't ask for and the dealer wouldn't be inclined to give on accessories.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #31
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

I find that when I count down the days to something, it just takes longer, the old "a watched pot never boils."

One really good thing about not having the car now is that wad of cash rolled up in my pocket that is going to disappear instantly when the car arrives :-)
      01-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #32
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

U still use cash lol. I don’t think I’ve carried more than $200 in about a decade
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #33
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
U still use cash lol. I don’t think I’ve carried more than $200 in about a decade
That was allegorical; I don't use cash for anything. If I buy something in the grocery store that costs 89 cents, I put it on my Visa card.

I used to use cash and would always end up with a pocketful of worthless coins, which I would leave in piles around the house. Occasionally I would go to the bank and get those paper coin rolls, roll up the change, and take it to the bank. Then the tellers would look at me like I was trying to make 10 or 25 cents by putting one coin too few in the rolls :-)

Now I solve the problem by never being given any change, by never paying cash if I can possibly avoid it.
      01-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #34
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
It seems strange to me to use an enthusiast website to look down your nose at people who are excited about the delivery of their cars.
You just need to slip into his shoes, er.... Sandals I mean....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #35
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

It was good that I tracked my car bc I saw that my ship broke down and was tugged back to port. I knew it was going to mess up my joint PCD and biz trip schedule before BMW Genius had any idea what was going on.

So, tracking allowed me to reschedule everything much more quickly and keep customers for my biz happy. You guys can keep arguing tho.

PS. In the end, it added 3.5 weeks to my delivery bc they had move all cars to a new ship and had to train/truck my car from the port in SC up to DC.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #36
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You just need to slip into his shoes, er.... Sandals I mean....
They are color matched to my VO 1M Coupe :-)
      01-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #37
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
It was good that I tracked my car bc I saw that my ship broke down and was tugged back to port. I knew it was going to mess up my joint PCD and biz trip schedule before BMW Genius had any idea what was going on.

So, tracking allowed me to reschedule everything much more quickly and keep customers for my biz happy. You guys can keep arguing tho.

PS. In the end, it added 3.5 weeks to my delivery bc they had move all cars to a new ship and had to train/truck my car from the port in SC up to DC.
I finally did get a production number on my M2, and it hasn't yet gone into production although I believe it will in the coming week. I'm personally not that eager to get it ASAP, because a delivery before the end of snow tire season just means that I'll be garaging it and not using it very much, while the warranty is ticking. I will be driving it in the winter, going forward, just I don't want to have to buy snow tires and rims at this point when at the time of delivery there would only potentially be a couple or 3 weeks remaining of winter driving.

I'd rather just drive my other designated winter car for the remainder of this winter, which is a Golf R, at this point.
      01-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #38
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I finally did get a production number on my M2, and it hasn't yet gone into production although I believe it will in the coming week. I'm personally not that eager to get it ASAP, because a delivery before the end of snow tire season just means that I'll be garaging it and not using it very much, while the warranty is ticking. I will be driving it in the winter, going forward, just I don't want to have to buy snow tires and rims at this point when at the time of delivery there would only potentially be a couple or 3 weeks remaining of winter driving.

I'd rather just drive my other designated winter car for the remainder of this winter, which is a Golf R, at this point.
Same here...my M2 started production on 1/12 which means I’ll get it while it’s still snow tire season. I really don’t want to put snow tires/wheels on it for such a short period of time, nor am I particularly excited about salting the crap out of it while it’s brand new, so I guess I’ll hang on to my leased 335i for an additional month or so. It’ll be interesting working that out with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #39
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same here...my M2 started production on 1/12 which means I’ll get it while it’s still snow tire season. I really don’t want to put snow tires/wheels on it for such a short period of time, nor am I particularly excited about salting the crap out of it while it’s brand new, so I guess I’ll hang on to my leased 335i for an additional month or so. It’ll be interesting working that out with the dealer.
Plus, if someone is going to run into me in a snowstorm, it would be slightly less painful if the car was 10 months old, than 1 week old :-)
      01-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #40
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Plus, if someone is going to run into me in a snowstorm, it would be slightly less painful if the car was 10 months old, than 1 week old :-)
EXACTLY!
Appreciate 1
champignon1565.50