BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Anyone cross-shop M2 w/ 440i xDrive M Perf Edition?

11-21-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Anyone cross-shop M2 w/ 440i xDrive M Perf Edition?

Just curious what you guys picked and why specifically between the M2 and 440i xDrive M Performance Edition coupe. Torn between the two at the moment. Bored of the 440i xDrive Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Just curious what you guys picked and why specifically between the M2 and 440i xDrive M Performance Edition coupe. Torn between the two at the moment. Bored of the 440i xDrive Gran Coupe.
Personally for me, an M car is an M car and I like small M cars.
      11-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The 4 series is a boat. Either you're into that or you're not.

Though uhh maybe if you're bored of your B58 X drive 4 series perhaps don't replace it with another B58 X drive 4 series.
      11-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Stefan makes a good point - if you're bored with the 440i Gran Coupe, going to the 440i Coupe, even with M package, isn't going to fix things.

We cross-shopped these - we actually went to the dealer to look at the 2-Series convertible, and saw the 4 Series Gran Coupe and my wife really liked that so we test drove the 440i Gran Coupe with M package. It felt big - that's the summary. If we had kids, or often carried guests, we'd have gotten the Gran Coupe. But it's just the two of us, and I wanted something that didn't feel large, so we're getting the M2. The 2 Series (if your dealer doesn't have an M2 they'll let you drive) and 4 Series feel very different and if you drive them back to back you'll quickly know which feels right.

I will say that the 4 Series is beautiful - BMW really got the proportions right on that car.

One last thought - and this is very personal - the seats in the 4 Series are different from the seats in the M2. I could not get comfortable in the 440i, and I strongly disliked the position of the headrest and where it falls. Maybe because the headrest is a swiveling design you can't fully put it down fully on top of the seat - the swivel requires that the headrest stop about an inch or so above the seat top. This meant when swiveled forward, the headrest landed near the very top of my head, rather than at the back, and I'm 5'8". I strongly disliked the 4 Series seat. That's just one minor niggle, but seat comfort differences between the 4 Series and M2 may be as important to others as it was to me.
Appreciate 0