BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > DIY brake ducts

08-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #155
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I dont believe there is enough heat to impact mechanical strength of the suspension components. Also there is a lot of air flow so the heat is not stationary. I have removed my dust shields w/o issue but I have protect the one tie rod which is really close to the brake disc. My car will be back by middle next week. One alternative which can help is to install the Porsche air deflectors .... if you search on M2 forum there are pictures how to install them .... they are really cheap like $20.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 02:18 AM   #156
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4forum View Post
I dont believe there is enough heat to impact mechanical strength of the suspension components. Also there is a lot of air flow so the heat is not stationary. I have removed my dust shields w/o issue but I have protect the one tie rod which is really close to the brake disc. My car will be back by middle next week. One alternative which can help is to install the Porsche air deflectors .... if you search on M2 forum there are pictures how to install them .... they are really cheap like $20.
The suspension components won't fail immediately from the heat...you are just shortening their life from 100k+ km to some amount less than that haha.

Porsche air deflectors will work but not the most efficient design as all you are doing is somewhat better directing the airflow already in the wheel well.

Direct blowing into the disc hat is the best solution (as seat time rules said).

Better upgrades are decent discs and after that APs.

Some interesting reading

https://trackparts.ch/Bremsen-optimi...-M3-M4-F-Serie

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=159
      08-06-2021, 10:23 PM   #157
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

This is a great technical material about brake cooling.

https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...n-my-track-car
Appreciate 2
Peter_VIE183.00
n8dgr84169.50
      08-30-2021, 04:31 AM   #158
Vojta89
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2 Competition

Hello guys, on the market just landed new solution for brake cooling on M2 Competition. From my point of view the best I could see so far. They don't have an eshop right now (during september will be launched), but you can contact them on Instagram or via their websites www.speedengineering.de
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mcvaughan704.00
CrashFL137.50
      09-02-2021, 11:40 PM   #159
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vojta89 View Post
Hello guys, on the market just landed new solution for brake cooling on M2 Competition. From my point of view the best I could see so far. They don't have an eshop right now (during september will be launched), but you can contact them on Instagram or via their websites www.speedengineering.de
Really nice! Doesn't look like they ship to the US. At least can't pick it from country list.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 01:40 AM   #160
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I had this thought originally but did not pursue it as it has some drawbacks.

1) it impacts the front wheel/tire width on an already tight package.

2) the kinks will lead to pressure drops and thus less air flowed to the brakes.

3) you "remove" a source of air in the wheel well instead of adding to it (ie OEM duct + more ducting).

4) the design repeatedly loads the 3D printed part in bending across the printed layers. This is a recepie for snapping the printed part. This cannot be avoided with this design as the hose is too short and stiff to stretch and not pull on the duct.

Edit the price is good but there is no data which would be as easy to collect as buying some temp strips and doing some hard braking…
gphung193.50
      09-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #161
Talx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

2) the kinks will lead to pressure drops and thus less air flowed to the brakes.

3) you "remove" a source of air in the wheel well instead of adding to it (ie OEM duct + more ducting).

4) the design repeatedly loads the 3D printed part in bending across the printed layers. This is a recepie for snapping the printed part. This cannot be avoided with this design as the hose is too short and stiff to stretch and not pull on the duct.

Edit the price is good but there is no data which would be as easy to collect as buying some temp strips and doing some hard braking…
Where did you see a price?
I couldn't find the products in their site.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #162
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

Where did you see a price?
I couldn't find the products in their site.
I just checked and the shop is now empty. Maybe they trialed something that was not yet meant to be live?

In any case it was a very sharp price for a full kit. To the point where the profit margin seemed like it would be a little low.

I won't mention the price as it may not be the final price and I don't want to spoil their business.
      05-26-2022, 04:32 AM   #163
LLB-M2
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (N55)

Hi,

it took some time. Now i mount the brake ducts. Big thanks to your work MangusT.
For rear i use the Porsche splitter. Was really easy to cut and fix. First without cutting the alloy shield, will do this later.

But i have a question to my front tube. Is the length Ok?
It could be possible that the shock absorber and the lower wishbone will give pressure to the tube. I Am afraid, if i use longer tuibes, it will sand at the rims.
The picture are taken while maximum steering angle.

Best regards Christian
Attached Images

Last edited by LLB-M2; 05-26-2022 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2022, 02:23 AM   #164
LLB-M2
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (N55)

Ok, did a trackday training. Everything holds in place, was fine and brake .
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #165
geofff87
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Has anyone looked at, or tried out these fins from RooDucts? They look like they would divert air off a factory duct towards the brake. Is that an M2C/M2CS only duct? I don't see anything that looks similar on my car.

https://rooducts.com/bmw-m2-duct-enhancers/
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:44 AM   #166
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4forum View Post
This is a great technical material about brake cooling.

https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...n-my-track-car
That is a really great blog post by THE racing brake experts at Essex. They recommend removing your splash shields a number of times as a next step (After race pads and fluid). Quote from the post, which is as direct as it gets:

"REMOVE YOUR OEM DISC SPLASH SHIELDS
The disc splash shields offer zero benefit to iron discs when run on the track. Get rid of them!"

There is more about protecting suspension joints from heat, but it's all in the article.
I've been running without splash shields on the cars track for over 20 years without issue. I am, however, no expert like the guys at Essex.