BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What made you buy your first BMW?

08-15-2022, 11:38 PM   #133
Tripl3C
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
Nearly the same for me, just a different magazine - mine was the C&D "240 hp, 5.6 to 60, $36,000" cover. I'd driven a friend's E30 325iX briefly in high school, and a college friend's roommate was one of the early Bimmerworld guys, who drove an E30 M3 to class. That's the only way I knew what I was looking at when, on my way home from work one day about a year after I graduated, I saw a Hennarot E30 M3 sitting on a Euro used car lot. That car ended up being my first BMW, and it was my only car for most of the 9 years I owned it. It was a good 9 years.
Awesome story! I'll admit I had to look up what Hennarot is. Great color. What was the reason for selling the E30 M3? If I ever find a white one for a decent price, I'd love to own one.
Appreciate 1
mssVT98141.50
      08-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #134
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl3C View Post
Awesome story! I'll admit I had to look up what Hennarot is. Great color. What was the reason for selling the E30 M3? If I ever find a white one for a decent price, I'd love to own one.
Good luck with finding one at a "decent" price now!

In a lot of ways it was a fun car to own, and for a long time I felt like I'd never sell it. But then we bought a house without a garage, and the house needed work, and I knew that to get the M3 to where I really wanted it I'd need to put a decent amount of money into that too (it was at 156k mi when I sold it). So there were real-life factors, but mostly I just got to the point mentally where I was kind of done with it and ready for something new. I found that over time, owning a car that special with limited resources is kind of exhausting, honestly. If I'd had the garage space and money to just put it away for a bit I might have hung on to it, but that wasn't the case.

This all happened in 2007, so shortly before they started to really increase in value, which was probably a good thing for me. Mine was nice, but very much a driver vs. a garage queen. It would certainly command a lot more money now, but I sold it for nearly what I bought it for 9 years and 60k mi later. I did fine. Had I waited much longer and prices started to shoot up I might have felt like I needed to hang on to an appreciating asset, and in the meantime I'd likely have dumped a bunch more money into it. So in the end I'm not all that convinced that, unless I'd waited until now when they're getting crazy money, I'd have actually come out much more on top than I did.

At the end of the day, I got to own, and drive the hell out of, an E30 M3. Like I said, no regrets here.
Appreciate 2
Tripl3C10.50
PHX102160.50
      08-18-2022, 01:09 AM   #135
Tripl3C
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
Good luck with finding one at a "decent" price now!

In a lot of ways it was a fun car to own, and for a long time I felt like I'd never sell it. But then we bought a house without a garage, and the house needed work, and I knew that to get the M3 to where I really wanted it I'd need to put a decent amount of money into that too (it was at 156k mi when I sold it). So there were real-life factors, but mostly I just got to the point mentally where I was kind of done with it and ready for something new. I found that over time, owning a car that special with limited resources is kind of exhausting, honestly. If I'd had the garage space and money to just put it away for a bit I might have hung on to it, but that wasn't the case.

This all happened in 2007, so shortly before they started to really increase in value, which was probably a good thing for me. Mine was nice, but very much a driver vs. a garage queen. It would certainly command a lot more money now, but I sold it for nearly what I bought it for 9 years and 60k mi later. I did fine. Had I waited much longer and prices started to shoot up I might have felt like I needed to hang on to an appreciating asset, and in the meantime I'd likely have dumped a bunch more money into it. So in the end I'm not all that convinced that, unless I'd waited until now when they're getting crazy money, I'd have actually come out much more on top than I did.

At the end of the day, I got to own, and drive the hell out of, an E30 M3. Like I said, no regrets here.
Hah! I don't think I'll ever find one at a decent price at this point. I remember my buddy having a chance to get one for $15k back in the day and he thought that was too high. Little did he know...

Cool, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you definitely had fun with it! I hear ya on putting money into it, garage space, etc. I'd love to hold on to the M2 forever but reality tells me that probably can't happen.

You've convinced me to start adding more miles on mine while I can!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:49 PM   #136
LFaist
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

We were moving back from Asia in the mid 2000's and needed to buy cars and house. Drove a 530 with M sport suspension and knew even before leaving the parking lot that man the whole "ultimate driving machine" thing is real. Went back to Acura and cancelled my order for a TL and been BMW since.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN20214.50
      08-24-2022, 02:25 AM   #137
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFaist View Post
We were moving back from Asia in the mid 2000's and needed to buy cars and house. Drove a 530 with M sport suspension and knew even before leaving the parking lot that man the whole "ultimate driving machine" thing is real. Went back to Acura and cancelled my order for a TL and been BMW since.
As the saying goes; AMEN BROTHER
      08-24-2022, 03:15 AM   #138
KPM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competitition

20 years ago I would drive to college every sunday evening and would pass by a parked E46 M3 in Phenix Yellow….

Didn't know exactly what it was at the time but looked nice and sporty….

M2C is not my first BMW but kind of the cummulation of that flashback… not yellow but special color as well…
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 05:08 AM   #139
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

E36
Appreciate 1
qnet683.00
      08-31-2022, 08:24 PM   #140
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2020 F87 M2CS  [8.56]
2010 E92 M3  [8.37]
Bought mine because at the time it truly was the ultimate driving machine. Nowadays with the direction BMW is heading and the relative prices, I'm not so sure. My first was an F82 M4 back in 2018. My second is an F87CS. Will prob be the last BMW (at least modern BMW) maybe an E60 or E92 in the future but my next sports car will prob be either a gt3 or something at a true supercar level, at least imo, 458.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #141
Daddypatric01
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Since my '18 M2 is my first BMW, and it took a while to get me there (I'm 50), I thought I'd start a thread about what finally pushed me over the edge, what did the same for you, and if there were/are any regrets.

It doesn't matter which BMW you have or when it was purchased, all that matters is that it was your FIRST one.

I've always been a Japanese car guy, the size, the look, the feel, and the quality/inexpensive maintenance were very attractive to me. So why did I buy an M2? The combination of the M2's more classically-styled (not quite as square) look, fantastic sound, power, reliability, and FINALLY more friendly interior were too much for me to ignore. My only regret was not getting one with less miles and PPF.

So how about you?

Q1: What made you buy your first BMW?
A1:

Q2: Do you have any regrets?
A2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Since my '18 M2 is my first BMW, and it took a while to get me there (I'm 50), I thought I'd start a thread about what finally pushed me over the edge, what did the same for you, and if there were/are any regrets.

It doesn't matter which BMW you have or when it was purchased, all that matters is that it was your FIRST one.

I've always been a Japanese car guy, the size, the look, the feel, and the quality/inexpensive maintenance were very attractive to me. So why did I buy an M2? The combination of the M2's more classically-styled (not quite as square) look, fantastic sound, power, reliability, and FINALLY more friendly interior were too much for me to ignore. My only regret was not getting one with less miles and PPF.

So how about you?

Q1: What made you buy your first BMW?
A1:

Q2: Do you have any regrets?
A2:
It was amazing 🤩
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 08:32 PM   #142
BFLY
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2020 BMW/M2C  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 3.5d  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Heritage. Only owned BMW's. My father owned the first dealership in Canada.
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
      09-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #143
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
Heritage. Only owned BMW's. My father owned the first dealership in Canada.
Otto Koller?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:11 PM   #144
BEAM.2
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 baby!

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
2017 M2  [0.00]
2017 M2  [0.00]
I love reading these stories!

For me it was these pics from the dealer. That a$$ tho!!

I had lived in London for 10 years where there was no point in having a car (1-2 year parking permit waitlists but good transport links), so when I returned to Melbourne my criteria for getting a car was that it had to be impractical and noisy! I had sold my 2000 WRX before I went away so that's where I started the search and somehow stumbled upon this beauty after seeing a M235i, being taken by the design so I thought about looking into BMWs. 30k over the budget I had set but I love Charlie more every day blah blah cliché.

My regret is that I have imposter syndrome cause I feel like I should know more about whats going on under the hood. Sometimes reading this forum I have literally no idea what's being talked about and I have to keep googling acronyms. I think of myself as a revfoot rather than a revhead cause the knowledge hasn't made it up there yet !
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-28-2022, 01:11 AM   #145
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM.2 View Post

I had lived in London for 10 years where there was no point in having a car (1-2 year parking permit waitlists but good transport links), so when I returned to Melbourne my criteria for getting a car was that it had to be impractical and noisy! I had sold my 2000 WRX before I went away so that's where I started the search and somehow stumbled upon this beauty after seeing a M235i, being taken by the design so I thought about looking into BMWs. 30k over the budget I had set but I love Charlie more every day blah blah cliché.

My regret is that I have imposter syndrome cause I feel like I should know more about whats going on under the hood. Sometimes reading this forum I have literally no idea what's being talked about and I have to keep googling acronyms. I think of myself as a revfoot rather than a revhead cause the knowledge hasn't made it up there yet !
Brilliant story fellow Australian

Welcome to BimmerPost
      09-28-2022, 01:40 AM   #146
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM.2 View Post

The realest dude on the forum ! Respect !
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 04:30 PM   #147
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewwe67 View Post
Q1: I have an '18 M2 I bought it because I didn't want the s55 in the M2C, but more importantly I couldn't get a GT4.

Q2: No, I've come to love the car and I don't think I would sell it to get either an M2C or a GT4, but I think I'll still buy the GT4 one of these days.
Welcome to our corner of the Bimmer World my friend

And

Great choice of cars
      10-27-2022, 02:42 PM   #148
Moloc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Q1: I was looking for a fun second car under $20k, had an off road pickup truck at the time but was missing the feeling of the low down sports car. Ended up finding a 135i and falling in love with the N55 engine and everything else about it. It was the best car I had owned until I got the M2. Funny enough around that time I took a trip to LA with my (at the time gf, now wife) and picked up a 911 as a rental. The entire time I missed the 135i, the 911 just didn't do it for me. I tried to like it but to this day I just don't see what the big deal is with those things.

Anyway she moved in and we needed the space for her car so I picked up a used 2013 X6M and traded both the 135i and ZR2 in for it. Thought it would be the best of both worlds. It was fun for a while, but the X6M was just too fast if that makes sense, without the fun and excitement that you feel in a smaller car. Also couldn't off road it, although I tried...The last thing is I was getting worried about the engine blowing - kept hearing horror stories.

So anyway traded it in for Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with a Hemi that we kept for a while, thought we would go on grand adventures doing off roading and all that. While we did do a couple trips, it wasn't anything like we thought and I kind of started getting out of the off roading scene. Once we moved further away from any trails (3.5+ hours) there was really no point to have a GCT, we'd bought a house too. The entire time I missed the 135i and had been wanting an M2 for a while, so after setting up the house and spending months searching for just the right one I pulled the trigger.

The M2 is the car of my dreams, just did a huge road trip through NE USA, checking out the mountains and all that.

Q2: Regret selling the 135i in a way but it did bring me to the M2 after a couple cars, which is the car of my dreams. Its just absolutely perfect in every way. I can see myself keeping this car forever & passing it down.
Attached Images

Last edited by Moloc; 10-27-2022 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
gphung193.50
qnet683.00
      10-27-2022, 06:11 PM   #149
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloc View Post
Q1: I was looking for a fun second car under $20k, had an off road pickup truck at the time but was missing the feeling of the low down sports car. Ended up finding a 135i and falling in love with the N55 engine and everything else about it. It was the best car I had owned until I got the M2. Funny enough around that time I took a trip to LA with my (at the time gf, now wife) and picked up a 911 as a rental. The entire time I missed the 135i, the 911 just didn't do it for me. I tried to like it but to this day I just don't see what the big deal is with those things.

Anyway she moved in and we needed the space for her car so I picked up a used 2013 X6M and traded both the 135i and ZR2 in for it. Thought it would be the best of both worlds. It was fun for a while, but the X6M was just too fast if that makes sense, without the fun and excitement that you feel in a smaller car. Also couldn't off road it, although I tried...The last thing is I was getting worried about the engine blowing - kept hearing horror stories.

So anyway traded it in for Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with a Hemi that we kept for a while, thought we would go on grand adventures doing off roading and all that. While we did do a couple trips, it wasn't anything like we thought and I kind of started getting out of the off roading scene. Once we moved further away from any trails (3.5+ hours) there was really no point to have a GCT, we'd bought a house too. The entire time I missed the 135i and had been wanting an M2 for a while, so after setting up the house and spending months searching for just [...]
Great story my friend
      11-14-2022, 04:35 PM   #150
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Ok, wow. this is a cool thread and I'm sorry I was late to it.

Q1. A really cool dealer told me to describe what kind of car I wanted (after seeing me snoop around the BMW lot). He showed me some BMW's and I didn't want any of them, only the ones I couldn't afford at the time LOL!

Fast forward a few weeks, and he calls me excited saying "I got an M3 for you son" Manual, sunroof, two-door and sporty is what I told him I wanted. I knew nothing about BMW's at the time, and didn't know they made cars like that. I creeped back on the lot when they were closed to have a look at it. I wasn't initially that excited by it, being a fan of the E46 stying which had just came out.

It wasn't until I researched what it was, and actually test drove it; that got me hooked. I loved the way the straight six sounded and how easy it was to drive the car spirited and the brakes were like nothing I had experienced before. E36 M3, and I had that car for 13 years. Went through all the repairs, and weird glitches that were common with that car. I even money-shifted it, which is another embarrassing story and saga..LOL. I remember reading a Car & driver article comparing it to the new Audi S4. It barely lost the comparison, but went down swinging as the writer stated.

Q2. My regret is selling it, as the prices for these cars are going up. It's crazy because the E36 M3 was the model everyone later started to shit on. They're worth something now, even the high mileage ones.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2022, 01:39 AM   #151
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Ok, wow. this is a cool thread and I'm sorry I was late to it.

Q1. A really cool dealer told me to describe what kind of car I wanted (after seeing me snoop around the BMW lot). He showed me some BMW's and I didn't want any of them, only the ones I couldn't afford at the time LOL!

Fast forward a few weeks, and he calls me excited saying "I got an M3 for you son" Manual, sunroof, two-door and sporty is what I told him I wanted. I knew nothing about BMW's at the time, and didn't know they made cars like that. I creeped back on the lot when they were closed to have a look at it. I wasn't initially that excited by it, being a fan of the E46 stying which had just came out.

It wasn't until I researched what it was, and actually test drove it; that got me hooked. I loved the way the straight six sounded and how easy it was to drive the car spirited and the brakes were like nothing I had experienced before. E36 M3, and I had that car for 13 years. Went through all the repairs, and weird glitches that were common with that car. I even money-shifted it, which is another embarrassing story and saga..LOL. I remember reading a Car & driver article comparing it to the new Audi S4. It barely lost the comparison, but went down swinging as the writer stated.

Q2. My regret is selling it, as the prices for these cars are going up. It's crazy because the E36 M3 was the model everyone later started to shit on. They're worth something now, even the high mileage ones.
I remember when I was in my very early 20s, the E36 was simply stunning - a huge kick up in size but boy was it nice to look at
qnet683.00
      11-15-2022, 10:15 AM   #152
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

The M2 didn’t feel as sterile and characterless as most other German performance cars I’ve driven. Unique and wonderful, with personality to spare.
Appreciate 0