BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Question on Power Magic Pro Hookup

05-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

Question on Power Magic Pro Hookup

For those who have a dashcam (I have Blackvue DR650S) installed with power magic pro, have a couple of questions for you:

1) What fuse numbers did you hook up the yellow and red wires to?
2) What settings did you have on the PMP module? 12v and 12 hours?
3) When i had this hooked up on my M3 i noticed I would get a battery warning indicator when using my car after this was installed, and the keyless access also didnt work as effectively. I assume this is a "Settings" on the PMP module thing, but wondering if anyone else has seen this and how you got around it?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_M3 View Post
For those who have a dashcam (I have Blackvue DR650S) installed with power magic pro, have a couple of questions for you:

3) When i had this hooked up on my M3 i noticed I would get a battery warning indicator when using my car after this was installed, and the keyless access also didnt work as effectively. I assume this is a "Settings" on the PMP module thing, but wondering if anyone else has seen this and how you got around it?
I made a long post about this in the appropriate sub-forum. I'll go get that and edit this message with a link after I've posted...

To summarise though... I found that the M2 never gave me a battery warning indicator, and the car always started fine. Something happens at exactly 6 hours of having switched off the car, locked or unlocked, which drops the battery voltage below 12v, so it was effectively impossible to have the dashcam run for longer than 6 hours.

In the end, I went for a Cellink B, Expansion pack and 2 x PMP for my system. I have the first PMP acting just as a timer, which I usually set to 12 hours, but if I know I'm leaving the car, will set to a different duration. It's voltage monitor is set to 12v, but it's monitoring the Cellink, rather than the car battery, so it never triggers on that. The timer signal however, is connected to the ignition, so the timer starts from ignition off rather than switch over to Cellink.

The second PMP is setup at 6 hours, again with 12v, but this one is connected to the input of the Cellink. I actually usually leave this PMP turned off, but the purpose of it is to make sure the Cellink (and it's expansion battery) are totally charged, to give me the longest run time.

If you followed all of that, you'd see that:
  • In normal use, the dashcam runs off the car battery for 6 hours, and then switches over to the Cellink for 6 hours.
  • If I feel like the Cellink is running low, because I've been doing a lot of short journeys, I can set it so that the dashcam runs off the car battery and the Cellink charges for the first 6 hours, making sure the Cellink is fully charged before the next 6 hours of discharge.
  • If I'm leaving the car for a long time, I can set it so that the dashcam runs off the car battery and the Cellink charges or the first 6 hours, making sure the Cellink is fully charged before it discharges for as long as it can (about 48 hours).
My setup was the only way I can get a run time of more than 24 hours in parking mode, and I occasionally leave my car longer than that when I go on a business trip for a couple of days.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Nezil
Major
Rep

I forgot to mention that I also have a 5v USB supply setup to power (and charge) a Freedom Pop no monthly charge WiFi hotspot so that I can keep an eye on the car when it's parked, or being serviced ;-), also powered through the Cellink / PMP setup.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

Thanks a bunch man this is SUPER helpful. Will probably just stick with the PMP; its parked in my garage 95=% of the time so will just unplug or turn off parking mode then, i really only need parking mode for those few hours the car would ever be parked outside.

But it certainly is good to know the options for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post

I forgot to mention that I also have a 5v USB supply setup to power (and charge) a Freedom Pop no monthly charge WiFi hotspot so that I can keep an eye on the car when it's parked, or being serviced ;-), also powered through the Cellink / PMP setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a bunch man this is SUPER helpful. Will probably just stick with the PMP; its parked in my garage 95=% of the time so will just unplug or turn off parking mode then, i really only need parking mode for those few hours the car would ever be parked outside.

But it certainly is good to know the options for future use.
Ah, I forgot to mention the main reason I setup the parking mode at home for... file copying!

I have a NAS powered on at home the whole time, and I set up a script that connects to the Dashcam, and pulls off files when it's parked at home in parking mode in the garage. The files are kept for two weeks and then deleted. I figured that storage was cheap, and I would probably notice an issue within 2 weeks and be able to go back and look for a potential hit and run bumper scrape.

The thread about that is here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=script

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:

I have the Blackvue DR650S hooked up with the PMP.
1) Battery is wired to fuse 100 and Acc to fuse 144
2) 12v and 6 hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I have the Blackvue DR650S hooked up with the PMP.
1) Battery is wired to fuse 100 and Acc to fuse 144
2) 12v and 6 hours.
Are you able to get longer than 6 hours run time if you wanted to? I found that the PMP cut off at 6 hours due to voltage drop so it didn't matter what I set the timer to; hence the work I went through to get a longer run time.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Are you able to get longer than 6 hours run time if you wanted to? I found that the PMP cut off at 6 hours due to voltage drop so it didn't matter what I set the timer to; hence the work I went through to get a longer run time.
Not really, as you say if set to 12 hours it would generally turn off prior due to the voltage drop.
My car is rarely parked anywhere except at home in the garage for longer than 6 hrs so for me 6 hrs is plenty.
Appreciate 0