BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Argh! Hit a kerb.

05-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2 LBB

Argh! Hit a kerb.

Estimated costs to put this right?

Hit a kerb pretty hard today. Steering wheel is way off centre too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Dblaz43.50
      05-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

New wheel is probably cheaper than trying to repair that. I think someone was selling one in the classifieds recently. Steering being off means best case an alignment, worst case you bent some stuff. Could get expensive quick, might be worth an insurance claim.

Edit: Just realized its both front and back wheel, you're looking 1K+ just in wheels probably.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

What happened is you probably either bent the rear toe arm or moved the adjustment.That means the thrust angle is off. One rear wheel is toed in or out more than the other that's why the steering wheel is off. The car is actually dog tracking. There is a chance that the impact just caused the toe adjustment encentric to slip. It happens on Porsches on track .You need to get it in the air to figure it out but that is what's going on. Sorry good luck.. Carl
Appreciate 2
ZPrime611.50
      05-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

If they’re not bent, $400-$500 (plus shipping) to machine and repaint each wheel, which is very difficult to match because of the black clearcoat. Many wheel refinishers won’t work on these wheels because of this. New wheels are around $800 each, including shipping.

Don’t ask me why I know these numbers...
Appreciate 2
Dblaz43.50
      05-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Luckily it happened near my local dealer, so I managed to limp her back to them and have left it there for them to take a look at tomorrow.

I'd rather not go through insurance but if it's going to be thousands I'll have no choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

You’re looking at repairing or replacing two wheels and alignment at minimum.

There are three times to inspect what’s damaged.
1) when the vehicle is off the ground, check if the wheel bearings are damaged
2) when the vehicle is on the lift with wheels off, visually inspect for damaged suspension components
3) when vehicle is doing a 4 wheel alignment, specs will show how far off the alignment is and if you’re able to bring it within specs. If not able to bring within specs, you know some suspension part is damaged.

If you’re looking to pay out of pocket, the wheels look repairable. Otherwise insurance is the best way to go to get two new wheels, ensure suspension parts and alignment get to 100% and to get coverage for anything else damaged such as your sideskirts, ect.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
Peasley
General Moron
England
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI MT & E30 Drift Slag

Feel for you mate, can I asked what happened cause this? Was your head in your hands for a couple of minutes before getting out to assess the damage? Whenever I hear curbage I stay in the car as long as possible in the hope it will go away
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11456.00
      05-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasley View Post
Feel for you mate, can I asked what happened cause this? Was your head in your hands for a couple of minutes before getting out to assess the damage? Whenever I hear curbage I stay in the car as long as possible in the hope it will go away.
Ran out of talent, plain and simple

I was driving along afterwards, before I got out thinking oh my god this is going to look horrendous...
Then I got out and it doesnt look too bad, absolutely no damage to the bodywork luckily and just badly rashed wheels. It's the alignment that's worrying. Also the brake pedal now has excessive travel, almost no brakes.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibbersicks View Post
Ran out of talent, plain and simple

I was driving along afterwards, before I got out thinking oh my god this is going to look horrendous...
Then I got out and it doesnt look too bad, absolutely no damage to the bodywork luckily and just badly rashed wheels. It's the alignment that's worrying. Also the brake pedal now has excessive travel, almost no brakes.
You may have a small brake line leak
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Good luck with your alignment. I've always had the worst of luck getting cars to re-align.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Sorry man
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #12
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Luckily it happened near my local dealer, so I managed to limp her back to them and have left it there for them to take a look at tomorrow.

I'd rather not go through insurance but if it's going to be thousands I'll have no choice.
If you go through your insurance (i.e. initiate a claim on your policy) the "accident" will be deemed your fault and your insurance may go up. Upside is you will only be out the deductible for the moment. Since the repairs could exceed $1,500 (easily) you don't have much choice.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

If you go through insurance will it be an accident car on the car fax?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #14
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Whereabouts in the UK are you? I know a good wheel repair place in East Anglia - did one of mine which was quite deep, welded it (to bring the shape back without cutting too deep), diamond cut and then smoke lacquered.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #16
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Sorry this happened.... hope you get it sorted out quickly and as cheaply as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #17
Smindustries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
If you go through insurance will it be an accident car on the car fax?
He's in the UK, so I can't speak for whatever is used over there, but in the US, going through insurance generally does not result in a Carfax data point. Insurers in most states are liable for diminished value payouts, and vehicle history reports are the easiest way for a claimant to justify a claim. It is not in the interest of insurers to share that data with Carfax.

That said, Carfax has data agreements with companies that make products for body shops, such as Chief frame machines. When a car goes onto a Chief machine to check for damage, the machine asks for the VIN to pull up the correct specs. Chief collects that data and shares it with Carfax.

Any time the police are called and they generate an accident report, that data is shared with Carfax because police reports are public records. Never call the cops.

Source: Once upon a time I worked for Carfax in the role of Source Data Analyst.
Appreciate 3
      05-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post
Whereabouts in the UK are you? I know a good wheel repair place in East Anglia - did one of mine which was quite deep, welded it (to bring the shape back without cutting too deep), diamond cut and then smoke lacquered.
Sounds like they know what they are doing.
Appreciate 1
azibux142.00
      05-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #19
SteveGiant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 - LBB /6-spd / Exec.

Wow this brings back some bad and very recent memories!
A week before my M2 was delivered my son borrowed my 435i GC to run an errand. On his way home, he turned off the traction control and make a left-hander WAY too fast and slid the right rear into the curb. No other cars involved and he walked away just fine, but not until I said some things I no longer remember but would certainly regret if I did!
The right rear wheel had a chunk out of it and the whole thing was tilted in and back. This all happened about two blocks from our house so I was able to get it home without incident. A police officer happened to drive up next to me, limping the car home along the bike lane, and asked if I needed help. PHEW! no thanks Officer.
I had the car towed to a very trustworthy independent shop because I didn't want to deal with an insurance claim which would have certainly increased my premium, especially with a teenage driver on my policy.
If I remember correctly, they had to resurface the right front wheel (gravel rash), replace the right rear wheel (I bought an original wheel from an out of state BMW dealer for a great price), replace the right rear runflat tire, replaced all three A arms in the rear right. Luckily didn’t have to replace the axle or bearing! And of course an alignment. All in I think I had to pay around $2,000 USD. Much better than paying my deductible and having my insurance premium go up for the next several years.
I feel for you but I’d look for an independent shop and hope for the best!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #20
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Sounds like they know what they are doing.
Indeed! They do all the wheels for the local dealer here also so that shows they're good! Ha
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #21
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post

Forged wheels get weakened by welding and reheating, I wouldn't trust that wheel. Cosmetically it might look fine but why risk it? There is a reason TUV does not allow these type of repairs. If it is simple curb rash of course that is not a big deal

OP, Make sure you find a good shop with experience in these wheels, I drove 400 miles to get mine fixed because nobody in my area could match the finish. The alternative is to buy a new wheel which is just under a $1,000 USD. Make sure the dealer fully inspects your suspension when they do the alignment
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #22
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Go shopping for the wheels at the vendors here - I paid under $750, delivered.
Appreciate 0