BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > HELPP!! Anyone in Tristate have LBB Touch up Paint?

05-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

HELPP!! Anyone in Tristate have LBB Touch up Paint?

All,

In a bit of an urgent situation. I took my car to Lee Berbs yesterday, am getting Xpel done on the front end + tints. When i dropped off the car (only 2 days old!), he noticed there was a chip on the underside of the front bumper (am semi-depressed about that).

He asked me to get some touch up paint by the time I go pickup my car on Friday, so that he can fix it and then apply Xpel to that part of the bumper.

Problem is, none of the dealerships have touch up paint for Long Beach Blue Metallic (paint code C16) in stock.

If anyone either has touch up paint I can borrow and drop off to you over the weekend (the chip is smaller than a quarter so shouldn't use much of your paint), or can recommend a body shop in the area where I can get it mixed, please message me or text me directly (Rohan: (949) 463-5334) ASAP so I can get this sorted today.

Thanks in advance my BMW M brethren; need a clutch save on this one!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

I've heard the same thing about touch up being really hard to get. Sorry I can't help. But yeah LeeBerbs is the man.
      05-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

After many calls, found a body shop locally that mixes paint according to the paint codes (Miele in Pearl River, NY).

Fortunately my chip is under the bumper so if its a close but not perfect match shouldn't be a HUGEE issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
I've heard the same thing about touch up being really hard to get. Sorry I can't help. But yeah LeeBerbs is the man.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Dr. Colorchip whips up a perfect match.> If time is of the essence, contact them and have them overnight it to you. Thank goodness its under the front bumper lip where its not readily visible.
akkando5860.00
      05-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Guys. Just order from paintscratch.com. I’ve been using them for a decade with all my cars. No reason to purchase those shitty pens from dealers as they will sell you it in bottles with brushes as well they offer kits with primer and clear coat. When the chip leaves bare metal I like to do a primer coat first. I feel the clear coat isn’t really needed unless the chips are large and you are doing layers.
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      05-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Dr. Colorchip whips up a perfect match.> If time is of the essence, contact them and have them overnight it to you. Thank goodness its under the front bumper lip where its not readily visible.
Dr. Colorchip is great, but you don't get the clear coat look but the color is a match and it's easy to use.

As a side note I scraped the under side of my bumper.... and I don't really worry about it. 100% A+ my favorite place to get a scrape!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Dr. Colorchip is great, but you don't get the clear coat look but the color is a match and it's easy to use.

As a side note I scraped the under side of my bumper.... and I don't really worry about it. 100% A+ my favorite place to get a scrape!
I wouldnt worry about a clear coat 'look' when its under the front lip that nobody's going to see.. To me the biggest risk to those front bumper bottoms are those damn concrete parking bump stops. Theyre at just about the right height to give you a nasty scrape if you pull a hair too far forward.

But for areas other than that, if not Dr. Colorchip, what would you recommend for a good touchup product that contains clear coat? Or could you just use Dr Colorchip and then pickup up a bottle of generic clear at Autozone to apply over?
      05-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

The touchup paint is just gonna come right off when the Xpel is removed.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
The touchup paint is just gonna come right off when the Xpel is removed.
I don't see that as a big issue. If and when the Xpel gets removed, just reapply the touch-up paint. It's not like it's that hard or expensive to do.

After only 2,500 miles I have a bunch of little chips around the factory clear bra that's in front of the rear wheels. I'm gonna ask my detailer if he can touch those chips up before removing the shitty factory clear bra and installing larger pieces.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:14 AM   #10
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
I don't see that as a big issue. If and when the Xpel gets removed, just reapply the touch-up paint. It's not like it's that hard or expensive to do.

After only 2,500 miles I have a bunch of little chips around the factory clear bra that's in front of the rear wheels. I'm gonna ask my detailer if he can touch those chips up before removing the shitty factory clear bra and installing larger pieces.
The issue comes during resale. If the seller doesn't disclose the damage. Either intentionally or because they forgot about it. If you sell a car with Xpel on it, the buyers are gonna assume the paint is perfect underneath, that it was protected since new, etc... which isn't true.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #11
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
The issue comes during resale. If the seller doesn't disclose the damage. Either intentionally or because they forgot about it. If you sell a car with Xpel on it, the buyers are gonna assume the paint is perfect underneath, that it was protected since new, etc... which isn't true.
Okay, maybe...but that's a stretch and still not really a big issue. I'd rather have clear bra over touched-up paint than clear bra over chipped paint. I suspect any used car buyer would have the same preference.
Appreciate 0