BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 Brake Issue

05-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
nkwrite
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

M2 Brake Issue

I tracked my M2 at Watkins Glen and the car was wonderful, however, I have a bad rumble when I step on the brake pedal now, and a groaning noise. Second time this has happened...I am told this could be from the rotors glazing? It did go away the first time, but this time seems much worse. Has anyone else experienced this? This is unacceptable for a car that is advertised as a track-ready car. Should not happen. Also, how do I cure the problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 12:55 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Pad deposits after a track day - re-do brake pad bed in procedure should clean up the discs nicely.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
nkwrite
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Are you on stock pads?
      05-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

If you ran with stock pads and stability control, the material has likely broken down a bit (chunked) and cracked. This will normally give you the grinding noise later, likely exacerbated with drilled rotors. It’s not M2 or BMW specific. If you take the pads off, you will likely see physical evidence of this.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
If you ran with stock pads and stability control, the material has likely broken down a bit (chunked) and cracked. This will normally give you the grinding noise later, likely exacerbated with drilled rotors. It’s not M2 or BMW specific. If you take the pads off, you will likely see physical evidence of this.
Ive never known any stock bmw that didnt require a change of pads for track duty.
      05-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Ive never known any stock bmw that didnt require a change of pads for track duty.
Agreed. I have yet to see any street car that gets tracked extensively run stock pads. Even GT3s tend to run Pagids or some other track pad. Same goes for fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
very hard to get a pad that can cover road and track well. Especially if you are going hard at the track. All track pads will screech sooner or later on the road and become annoying in city driving. And then road pads aren't up to it for prolonged track use. You may be finding it worse this time because you are going faster with a bit more familiarity.
Appreciate 1
gsrbri559.50
      05-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
very hard to get a pad that can cover road and track well. Especially if you are going hard at the track. All track pads will screech sooner or later on the road and become annoying in city driving. And then road pads aren't up to it for prolonged track use. You may be finding it worse this time because you are going faster with a bit more familiarity.
What are your thoughts on switching out pads but using the same rotors. Have heard differing opinions on this.
Appreciate 1
gsrbri559.50
      05-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
What are your thoughts on switching out pads but using the same rotors. Have heard differing opinions on this.
Zero problems!
      05-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkwrite View Post
This is unacceptable for a car that is advertised as a track-ready car. Should not happen.
You are wrong! If BMW would fit trackpads as standard....they would get massive amount of complaints about everybody driving on the street with noisy brakes. The M2 is a street car not a track-ready car. It's a street car that you can also drive on track...if you fit different brake pads. You can order the M perf pads from BMW or go aftermarket for a solution.
      05-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
You are wrong! If BMW would fit trackpads as standard....they would get massive amount of complaints about everybody driving on the street with noisy brakes. The M2 is a street car not a track-ready car. It's a street car that you can also drive on track...if you fit different brake pads. You can order the M perf pads from BMW or go aftermarket for a solution.
Just tracked my car with Pagid brake pads. The difference between OEM and Pagids is incredible. Well worth the $ spent for track pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #13
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Just tracked my car with Pagid brake pads. The difference between OEM and Pagids is incredible. Well worth the $ spent for track pads.
Even the high end Porshe guys all swap their pads for the track....and most of them use Pagid R29s as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2018, 01:43 AM   #14
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I ran into the same issue with stock pads. I ended up purchasing rs29s to scrape off the old deposits + my next hdpe event. My new issue was that I ended up boiling the stock fluid with the new pads, so now I have Castrol srf.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2018, 02:13 AM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
I tracked my M2 at Watkins Glen and the car was wonderful, however, I have a bad rumble when I step on the brake pedal now, and a groaning noise. Second time this has happened...I am told this could be from the rotors glazing? It did go away the first time, but this time seems much worse. Has anyone else experienced this? This is unacceptable for a car that is advertised as a track-ready car. Should not happen. Also, how do I cure the problem?
Pump your brakes bro! No need to sell the M2!
For me simply braking slightly worked within a few stops ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Pad deposits after a track day - re-do brake pad bed in procedure should clean up the discs nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
If you ran with stock pads and stability control, the material has likely broken down a bit (chunked) and cracked. This will normally give you the grinding noise later, likely exacerbated with drilled rotors. It's not M2 or BMW specific. If you take the pads off, you will likely see physical evidence of this.

I was on track in my 1M and had this issue occur this weekend as well. I drove on track, decided to pack the stock wheels in the car and drive home on my track set. I didn't get far up the road and I slowed to stop at an intersection and got a crunching sound from the brakes pulling to a stop. This happened the next few times I braked so to mitigate it I simply used the brakes very lightly when coming to a stop. This yielded more squeak/squeal but less crunch.

After about 15 miles of highway driving with a few stops in towns it didn't occur the rest of the way home. I ran Performance friction full race pads.

I agree with the others above that you can try a re-bed as well. The issue definitely revolves around cross drilled rotors. These shred the pad to a degree causing small chunks to imbed in the holes of the drilled rotors. An odd size chunk of brake material in your rotor has the same effect as a rock against a backing plate.

Reversing a short distance and slamming on the brakes is a good way to eject a rock stuck against a backing place and disc by the way, and also might be something to try.

For decades, BMW eschewed cross drilled rotors in favor of solid discs and this was never an issue. Old school bimwads will recall that slotted rotors were very common on aftermarket rotors for track use. These also can suffer from pad material getting trapped in the slots as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:39 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
I ran into the same issue with stock pads. I ended up purchasing rs29s to scrape off the old deposits + my next hdpe event. My new issue was that I ended up boiling the stock fluid with the new pads, so now I have Castrol srf.

Castrol SRF rocks. If you have an issue with that fluid .. then this is a driver problem.

Braking less is faster !
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      05-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #17
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Castrol SRF rocks. If you have an issue with that fluid .. then this is a driver problem.

Braking less is faster !
For those that have swapped brake fluid for track. I'm assuming you just keep that in when on the streets and will continue to flush with track fluid? Can't think of any reason why not but figured I'd ask.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #18
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You will get better braking performance and it will shorten the life of the rotors. How much will depend on how hard you go and how hot you get the rotors. For example 15min sessions or 30 min sessions? Road pads are more sacrificial - that's why they can leave deposits. Track pads are more aggressive compound.
If you get too much heat into the rotor with no cooling they won't stand the heat as well as a competition rotor. But is all a question of how hard you want to go - A few casual trackdays is ok - just try and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #19
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
yep just switch to track fluid permanently. SRF expensive but much better for a dd car as it resists moisture better. there other threads talking about this.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #20
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Similar issue reported on french M2 forum, apparently disks holes must be cleaned with water or air and rumble should go away ...
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Braking less is faster !
For those that have swapped brake fluid for track. I'm assuming you just keep that in when on the streets and will continue to flush with track fluid? Can't think of any reason why not but figured I'd ask.
Correct. Brake fluid that has a higher wet and/or dry boiling point is more effective. It's been awhile since I checked but Castrol SRF has some of the highest boiling points for both wet and dry situations. The major key for SRF is its boiling point when wet blows all others out of the water. If you don't know the difference between a wet and dry boiling point ... it's time for a homework assignment.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-fluid.asp
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #22
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep

I'm with the OP on this one. The standard pads BMW use are great for the road but shit anywhere else. I ran my Porsche on the track straight from the showroom and never had the issues I've had with BMW.

If you're still getting the grinding sound or vibrations, get the discs machined and swap pads.
Simple rule, don't ever bother with the BMW pads on the track, swap them before going out along with better fluid.
Appreciate 0