BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > PPF - Satisfied? Lessons Learned?

02-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
FasterthanAppears
Rep
Drives: Mini S

PPF - Satisfied? Lessons Learned?

PPF is 100% new to me - so is Ceramic Coating.........don't ask

and now I'm trying to decide if I should apply either or both to the M2 when it arrives in a few weeks. Not an easy decision without any experience or point of reference other than YT & reading ads, conflicting opinions + various recommendations

For those who have made the leap already, are You happy with your PPF choice?, the Installation? and what Lessons were Learned along the way?

and........did You include any Coating to your protection plan?
and ......looking back would You do everything the same?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
Loupeitak
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d and BMW M2 next month

I also decided to dive into the world of PPF for the first time with my M2. Installation was at a very reputable detailer and everything went smoothly. Also had ceramic coating on top of Xpel. So far I've had zero problems and washing the car is a breeze. The peace of mind is also a godsend.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Rock Chip and Abrasion resistance - (PPF)

Ease of cleaning and wash maintenance - (Coating)

Both? - Add Both.

The coating will not prevent rock chips, and the film still needs to be protected to get the life out of it.

Bruce
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Agreed on doing both. Would also recommend a "full" coating including suspension, brakes and wheels. Makes cleaning those hard to reach parts much much easier
      02-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Yes to both PPF and Ceramic Pro. I had my M2 done in January immediately upon delivery (I drove it with the shipping plastic still on the car over to the detailer) and it makes a big difference in the MN winters. Just a quick run on the water-only setting of my local touchless wash and it looks good as new.

I also second monochrom3's suggestion of getting wheels done as well. Brake dust just blasts right off with a pressure washer.
Appreciate 1
M-Azing19.50
      02-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
FasterthanAppears
Rep

Thanks for ALL the replies & feedback.

forgot to ask = Did you PPF the whole car or only certain parts?

Coating - I was surprised how little / thin the application appears when watching on YT.......although some talk about multiple layers + some sort of special "top coat". Any comments on Coating Application or why You chose a particular Brand / Product?

One of my many confusing options was to do the entire Front End (including A Pillars, Mirrors, front edge of roof (yes in front of moon roof) + rockers and front 1/2 of Rear quarter (although I wondered about the visible PPF Line on Fender) .........then do Coating on all the other surfaces but based on feedback sounds like Coating the PPF too is the way to go.

Was also planning on adding Windshield Film to protect the glass - rocks seem to follow me........harder to find local shop/installer

Last edited by FasterthanAppears; 02-27-2018 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Deleted quote
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #7
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

PPF and Coatings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterthanAppears View Post
Thanks for ALL the replies & feedback.

forgot to ask = Did you PPF the whole car or only certain parts?

Coating - I was surprised how little / thin the application appears when watching on YT.......although some talk about multiple layers + some sort of special "top coat". Any comments on Coating Application or why You chose a particular Brand / Product?

One of my many confusing options was to do the entire Front End (including A Pillars, Mirrors, front edge of roof (yes in front of moon roof) + rockers and front 1/2 of Rear quarter (although I wondered about the visible PPF Line on Fender) .........then do Coating on all the other surfaces but based on feedback sounds like Coating the PPF too is the way to go.

Was also planning on adding Windshield Film to protect the glass - rocks seem to follow me........harder to find local shop/installer
You could do the whole care for sure, and depending on the color, that is a great option. Next in line would be the high impact areas, focusing on a full front package and possibly adding in the lower rockers and wheel areas.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
For PPF, I went with front bumper, hood, front fenders, mirrors, larger pieces in front of the rear wheels (the stock pieces are garbage), and a strip on the rear bumper deck.

My detailer did multiple coats of Ceramic Pro on the non-PPF areas of the car and Ceramic Pro Light on the PPF (its designed for that).

It's not the thickness of the coats so much as it is letting it cure properly.

The windshield rap is an interesting concept but I'd have to see it in person before I could convince myself there would be zero distortion or degradation of clarity. I've had really bad luck with BMW glass and really don't want to have the windshield replaced in this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

I just got my car back today from having a full Xpel Ultimate wrap installed. I plan on applying CQUK next week after the film has had a full week to completely dry out on the car.

Its not cheap to do, but I think is a small investment towards peace of mind and ease of cleaning.

Last edited by Spartan King; 02-28-2018 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
FasterthanAppears
Rep

PPF & Coating

Bruce_SC - Thanks, yes that's what I'm trying to decide. Not easy when factoring cost (not cheap), Time & added cost (staying over - longer if they do whole car) if I do it near Performance Center vs home.
Decisions, Decisions,

jonahk - Your approach is what I'm leaning toward. S.C. Installer said the same thing about stock piece. Can You still see the Film Line on the rear Fenders after the Coating?
Windshield Protection Film (WPF) - Agree, I don't even want to think about a replacement. Need to do more research - so far ClearPlex by Madico seems to be the leader BUT Dealers/Installers only in 21 States & even then limited cities in those states. Thanks for info & help.

Spartan King - Thanks for the contribution............how long did the PPF Installation take?

Again, thanks everyone for all the responses
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Spartan King - Thanks for the contribution............how long did the PPF Installation take?

I left my car with the installer for a full week. Mine took a little bit longer than the originally quoted 4 days because I had them do the roof (and all its components) and also the spoiler in a black wrap.

The installer I used did go above and beyond though by customizing the PPF fitment to keep all the seams rolled under the cars panels. Even the emblems were removed so the PPF could be installed under them. He didn't use many of the prefab cutouts which in the end gave the PPF a very seamless look.

Last edited by Spartan King; 03-01-2018 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:30 AM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
PPF is 100% new to me - so is Ceramic Coating.........don't ask

and now I'm trying to decide if I should apply either or both to the M2 when it arrives in a few weeks. Not an easy decision without any experience or point of reference other than YT & reading ads, conflicting opinions + various recommendations

For those who have made the leap already, are You happy with your PPF choice?, the Installation? and what Lessons were Learned along the way?

and........did You include any Coating to your protection plan?
and ......looking back would You do everything the same?

Thanks in advance

Get the PPF immediately. Xpel ultimate or Suntek Ultra. Research good installers in your area, more important to get a good installer than the perfect film or the best price.

Better to do PPF early than Coating. You can always paint correct and coat later but you can't easily undo rock chips.

The M2 bumper is complicated. Most shops regardless of film use Xpel pre cut patterns. Don't let them try to do a custom cut on the M2 front bumper, make sure they start with a precut pattern then modify as they please.

Ask them where they think seems are going to be so that you know what to expect when you get the finished product back.

Don't be cheap and do half hood and half front fender, you don't want to see the line going across your car. Do the front end, if you can afford it also do the lower rockers, mine look like shit. I also had them remove the factory PPF on the rear quarters and put on a bigger piece that goes from edge of the door, up to the horizontal line at the top of the fender, all the way to the back tail light. The horizontal body line across the car hides the PPF line more than the curved factory piece and the new piece is bigger and you take a lot of rock hits there.

Also a small piece behind the rear fenders is good because stuff gets kicked up there.

PPF is also easy to wash.

Suntek Ultra probably looks a little better than Xpel, but it's not as thick, not sure if it offers the same level of protection? Depends on who you ask.

If you get A pillars but not partial roof I suggest to have them cut it so the seem lines up with the roof line meeting the windshield just so it blends better.

Consider getting a piece right on top of the bumper, the luggage strip.

I didn't plan to get PPF but then I got some chips real quick and after that I couldn't wait to write that check and wish I had done it sooner.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:35 AM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Bruce_SC - Thanks, yes that's what I'm trying to decide. Not easy when factoring cost (not cheap), Time & added cost (staying over - longer if they do whole car) if I do it near Performance Center vs home.
Decisions, Decisions,

jonahk - Your approach is what I'm leaning toward. S.C. Installer said the same thing about stock piece. Can You still see the Film Line on the rear Fenders after the Coating?
Windshield Protection Film (WPF) - Agree, I don't even want to think about a replacement. Need to do more research - so far ClearPlex by Madico seems to be the leader BUT Dealers/Installers only in 21 States & even then limited cities in those states. Thanks for info & help.

The new piece on the rear fender can be bigger and be a shape that hides the line better. I had a photshop of size and placement but I don't know where it is now.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 06:22 AM   #14
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

PPF

Quote:
Decisions, Decisions,

Which SC installer? I think I know...
You will see the film line even after coating it, Coating is very thin compared to film.
I have seen some of the window protection, and it doesn't look that great, at least the install I saw, but this person had multiple peel off layers.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

When the car is clean, you have to be looking for the lines to see them on the rear fender PPF piece. I have Suntek so it's a bit thinner than stock. But when I get MN road salt all over the car I can see the lines. I stopped obsessing over it about a week ago

Like Spartan King, my car was at the detailer for a while. 9 days in fact, but it was also because they were doing the front end PPF, full Ceramic Pro (on wheels and calipers, too), black roof wrap and tint. Plus they were filming it for a commercial so they took their time. Fine by me because I got a discount
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #16
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

I'm pretty new to PPF as well. After keeping Dr Color chip in business with My M3's front bumper (carbon black paint \ light grey primer) I understood the value of this product for sure.

I just went with the front bumper and Xpel. From what I read, the installer is key. I found who was said to be the best in my area, paid a premium for his services and am very happy with the results. 8 months in and it looks great. I can see at least 1 spot where it saved a pretty serious hit.

Knowing what I do today and being a bit more comfortable with the product, I'd likely do the mirrors and hood as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
When the car is clean, you have to be looking for the lines to see them on the rear fender PPF piece. I have Suntek so it's a bit thinner than stock. But when I get MN road salt all over the car I can see the lines. I stopped obsessing over it about a week ago

Like Spartan King, my car was at the detailer for a while. 9 days in fact, but it was also because they were doing the front end PPF, full Ceramic Pro (on wheels and calipers, too), black roof wrap and tint. Plus they were filming it for a commercial so they took their time. Fine by me because I got a discount
This is how mine is setup on the fender so you don't really see the line.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #18
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

I got STEK DYNOshield on my M2's full front bumper, headlights, mirrors, half hood and half front fenders, strip on the bumper below the trunk opening, and rocker panels. The hood & fender lines are practically invisible and my 335i (with the same PPF pattern) after 40K miles of highway driving had so few chips on the exposed hood/A-pillars that the additional expense wouldn't have been worth it IMHO.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to go back to my installer (who's reputed to be the best in my area) because some of the edges in the front bumper nooks and crannies aren't adhering well and I'm afraid that over time I'll get some major peeling. It's the best PPF install I've had out of five cars but perfect it ain't.

IMHO exposed paint looks better than PPF so to me it comes down to a trade-off between protection and appearance. I personally wouldn't want to get full PPF.

I wish I'd have gotten a small piece on the lower section behind the rear wheels because after only 100 miles that section already has chips...I mean, it's absurd. My 335i had the same thing though and it never became visible without crawling under the car so maybe I'm overly sensitive since the car is brand new. Oh well; it's literally under the car so you have to get underneath it to see the chips. Live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

What have you guys been paying for full front installed?

Full:
Bumper
Corner Panels
Hood
Mirrors
Headlights

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #20
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post

Full:
Bumper
Corner Panels
Hood
Mirrors
Headlights

Thanks.
For what you listed plus the rocker panels and the rear bumper ledge I paid $1550.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #21
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Full:
Bumper
Corner Panels
Hood
Mirrors
Headlights

Thanks.
+rear bumper deck
+replaced stock rear fender pieces

I paid $1500, and that was also because of some paint-correction that had to be done before they applied it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #22
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:

Full:
Bumper
Corner Panels
Hood
Mirrors
Headlights

Thanks.
My Xpel Ultimate was $1300 for all those areas, plus removal and replacement of the OEM PPF strip on the leading end of the rear fenders.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50