swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I can see where you might be coming from but honestly imho the only reason to not drive an M2 or m3 in winter is simply if one lacks the skill to drive rwd in winter conditions.

Its not an exotic and not going to appreciate in value.
Obviously you don't live in a place where rocks and chemicals beat the absolute shit out of your car in the winter. I have a beater for that and believe me it gets annihilated. Salt/chemicals are murder on your bushings and metal components.

I could say something similarly callous. "honestly imho the only reason to drive your M2 in winter is you can't afford a second car"

Now believe me if it was just snow and ice, I'd be out there.But it's not. It's brutal. I just can't ethically subject the M2 to that right now. Cold/crisp/dry day yep NP.

What's this about your kid walking and not being able to drive an M2? Wha? M2 is an awesome family car. Getting my kid in and out of it is super easy (seriously)
Read the rest of my posts on it where I shared my reasoning. Obviously I don't live where they spray chemicals.

My comments are based on where I live and that's why we share our opinions on this forum and are enlightened by others based on their experience.

Besides the person who posted right above me and what you quoted alluded to the fact that only guys who lease or lack a 2nd car drive m2 in winter.

Neither applied to me nor would I deem it callous if it did.

What you could take offense to is if I said - I can't wait to get an M2 once it gets an actual M engine!!
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #24
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
I can see where you might be coming from but honestly imho the only reason to not drive an M2 or m3 in winter is simply if one lacks the skill to drive rwd in winter conditions.

Its not an exotic and not going to appreciate in value.
Obviously you don't live in a place where rocks and chemicals beat the absolute shit out of your car in the winter. I have a beater for that and believe me it gets annihilated. Salt/chemicals are murder on your bushings and metal components.

I could say something similarly callous. "honestly imho the only reason to drive your M2 in winter is you can't afford a second car"

Now believe me if it was just snow and ice, I'd be out there.But it's not. It's brutal. I just can't ethically subject the M2 to that right now. Cold/crisp/dry day yep NP.

What's this about your kid walking and not being able to drive an M2? Wha? M2 is an awesome family car. Getting my kid in and out of it is super easy (seriously)
Read the rest of my posts on it where I shared my reasoning. Obviously I don't live where they spray chemicals.

My comments are based on where I live and that's why we share our opinions on this forum and are enlightened by others based on their experience.

Besides the person who posted right above me and what you quoted alluded to the fact that only guys who lease or lack a 2nd car drive m2 in winter.

Neither applied to me nor would I deem it callous if it did.

What you could take offense to is if I said - I can't wait to get an M2 once it gets an actual M engine!!
Well... you initially stated the "only reason" you wouldn't drive the M2 in winter is if you are unskilled. So I am glad we moved past that to recognize a spectrum of understandable reasons to not subject the m2 to such aforementioned conditions. No offense taken. To either comment.
      01-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #25
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

OK, for all you guys who don't have to put up with winter car-corroding chemical gravel in your area, here's a picture of what some of us are talking about. This 40-foot-long spread of metal-munching missiles - up to a half-inch in diameter (see the nickel for reference) - was laid down on my concrete street this morning after a 1/4-inch snow last night. Several hours later, the streets are clear, but wet, and these wicked chunks remain.

Imagine how these ragged rocks fly off other vehicles, headed straight for your car on local streets, freeways and Interstates. When they hit, they'll take off the paint, sometimes leave a small dent and - if you're lucky - not crack or take a chunk out of your windshield.

And now you know why swifty and I keep our pants on around this stuff ...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #26
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]Snow, freezing rain and -35 wind chill aren't very conducive to driving fun, but at least my car said "Hi" when I went out to the garage tonight.

[IMG]https://photos.smugmug.com/18-M2/i-F...IMG_0109-L.jpg[/IMG]
Some maybe surprise why to make further comments on winter thread while we are soon in summer time.

I can only drive my baby seldom mainly on weekends and so its stored in the garage not moving for 1 or more weeks and it stays inert under its cover just waiting for next run ...

any experience on best storage approach, is there any special tricks for the engine, tires, suspensions and other parts you guys do on your car when its stays immobile for long? Such as 3-4 months winter time
Appreciate 0