BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Active Sound Design (ASD) topics

05-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #243
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 2
What exhaust did you go with?

I disabled ASD and love it. I do a lot of highway driving and the extra drone was annoying. Also I think I need to relearn driving a manual but sometimes when I was shifting with ASD I would hit the gas a little too much and the ASD would add to the sound. With ASD off I barely hear this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
ASD disabled and aftermarket exhaust, super happy now. Even without the new exhaust I would just disable it. I hate when the sound from systems like ASD are ever so slightly off from the user inputs.

I am curious if there is a correlation between those who don't mind ASD and those who have DCT. In a previous dual clutch car I didn't mind the active sound system. In cars with manual transmissions I absolutely hate active sound systems.
I ended up going with the Dinan exhaust and resonator delete. I really wanted the MPE but couldn't justify paying $1100 for just the tips.

The Dinan does have some drone at highway speeds right around 3k rpms (so right where I am usually at when cruising unfortunately). I am curious if leaving the resonator in would help with that. I love every second of the exhaust when not doing highway blasts though, hardly even leave the music on. I did just do the supplemental door seal mod and it did cut down on some of the drone and a lot of tire noise, I highly recommend doing that mod. Was like $40 and took 15 minutes total.
      05-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #244
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Agree with the OP - the bypass harness is an excellent mod.
ASD is way too loud and shrill, and bypassing the ASD amp really improves the HK sound.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #245
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Hey guys, thanks for all the input on this.

Could someone please confirm if coding ASD off is the same as the updated harness with no bass loss?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #246
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the input on this.

Could someone please confirm if coding ASD off is the same as the updated harness with no bass loss?

Thanks.
I coded mine off a couple weeks ago, and while I haven't driven it much since then I haven't noticed any loss of bass or hissing, which people had noted before. Mine is a MY17, so maybe that was on the early cars where the wiring polarity was switched?

I'm not an audiophile but do enjoy good sound, so I'd hope I'd notice a significant change in bass.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #247
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

MY '16 vehicles use the harness, while MY '17 vehicles can just code ASD off. No bass loss whatsoever after coding ASD off in my MY '17. Stereo sounds better, in fact, since it's not trying to create two totally disparate soundtracks at the same time.
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf162.00
      06-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #248
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Cool. Good to hear. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #249
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
MY '16 vehicles use the harness, while MY '17 vehicles can just code ASD off. No bass loss whatsoever after coding ASD off in my MY '17. Stereo sounds better, in fact, since it's not trying to create two totally disparate soundtracks at the same time.
MY16 could code too. Works just like the rest of the 2 series.

The reason for the harness is to remove the ASD amp from the audio chain. It actively drives signals into the proper amp which is a recipe for distortion. Coding turns off ASD signals but leaves the amp in place to do it's worst. That's why I went with the harness.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #250
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Can't wait to install my harness tomorrow and see if it makes a decent difference with my exhaust and downpipe combo.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #251
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post

The reason for the harness is to remove the ASD amp from the audio chain. It actively drives signals into the proper amp which is a recipe for distortion. Coding turns off ASD signals but leaves the amp in place to do it's worst. That's why I went with the harness.
To clarify: MY '17 has different audio hardware. Doesn't need the harness to eliminate ASD entirely.
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2017, 02:23 AM   #252
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post

To clarify: MY '17 has different audio hardware. Doesn't need the harness to eliminate ASD entirely.
Mine was built in Nov 2016. How does one verify it's a MY 16 v 17?
      06-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #253
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I just coded mine off this afternoon. MUCH BETTER.....

I cannot understand why BMW simply does not make this a user selected item in the iDrive. There really is no reason not to add this electronic choice other than stick up the ass marketing department. Their way of the walkway.

VIM, that's a problem I have not tackled yet. I did the coding (lost my presets ,etc) and it did not work. I'll try again....when I don't need the car the next day for a trip. LOL

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      06-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #254
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Why not !

Drive 100% organic

No noise pollution needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #255
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Drive 100% organic

No noise pollution needed.
Why would BMW add ADD to the car? I already have enough trouble just remembering where I'm going. And that doesn't even count why I'm going. I'm calling BMW and tell them where they can put their ADD. Wait. Did you say ASD? Never mind....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #256
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

ADD /ASD it is all short for Bullshit!

Why?

To make-up for the fact their engines can no longer can be heard inside, so as to fool you into thinking it sounds great, while people on the outside laugh as your car farts on by... There goes my Neighbor in her M4 now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Why would BMW add ADD to the car? I already have enough trouble just remembering where I'm going. And that doesn't even count why I'm going. I'm calling BMW and tell them where they can put their ADD. Wait. Did you say ASD? Never mind....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #257
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

I purchased the harness and then changed my mind. Unfortunately, they have a no return policy - BS in my book. So I'll sell my unused unit for $40 free shipping
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #258
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Why?

To make-up for the fact their engines can no longer can be heard inside, so as to fool you into thinking it sounds great, while people on the outside laugh as your car farts on by... There goes my Neighbor in her M4 now...

Quote:
Yeah you really nailed it with all that sarcasm. Why'd you buy a BMW anyway? Just a tip; sarcasm and cynicism doesn't equate to accuracy.

I own an E92M3 and I can assure you with stock exhaust it's not exactly a symphony of sound on the interior. Muted is more like it.

I've read a lot of comments here about ASD and the "marketing department". Would someone here please point me to concrete evidence indicating ASD is as a direct result of marketing? "Trust me I know from years of experience" isn't evidence.

I love my M2 and the sounds it makes inside and out. That's why I bought it I went into it eyes wide open. I ask again why did some of you even buy this car with all of the incessant whining about every little thing?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #259
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Quote:
Why?

Quote:
Yeah you really nailed it with all that sarcasm. Why'd you buy a BMW anyway? Just a tip; sarcasm and cynicism doesn't equate to accuracy.

I own an E92M3 and I can assure you with stock exhaust it's not exactly a symphony of sound on the interior. Muted is more like it.

I've read a lot of comments here about ASD and the "marketing department". Would someone here please point me to concrete evidence indicating ASD is as a direct result of marketing? "Trust me I know from years of experience" isn't evidence.

I love my M2 and the sounds it makes inside and out. That's why I bought it I went into it eyes wide open. I ask again why did some of you even buy this car with all of the incessant whining about every little thing?
Why because I put a fartcan on the back and everyone can fucking hear me and there's no doubt my car is farting on bye. M2 sounds decent from the factory so you can now relax your panties over there.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #260
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why?

Quote:

Why because I put a fartcan on the back and everyone can fucking hear me and there's no doubt my car is farting on bye. M2 sounds decent from the factory so you can now relax your panties over there.

Very intelligent. We obviously have a genius here. You're clearly a 20 something troll who belongs in a Subaru forum. :
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #261
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why?

Quote:

Very intelligent...

Another uptight Canadian.

Ignorance is bliss.

Bless your heart.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #262
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why?

Quote:

Very intelligent...

Complete ignorance.

Bless your heart.
Yeah coming from someone who's vocabulary extends to repeated use of the word "fart". Ok champ move along now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #263
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Ok, just finished a 6 hour drive with three kids in car. Having ASD turned off was the BEST mod for this car. I can hear plenty of engine noise o-natural and when cruising at 80 it was much more comfortable and quite even in sport plus. The car is more noisy than others due to road noise since the thing does not have much sound insulation but it was a much more enjoyable ride with ASD turned off.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      06-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #264
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Ok, just finished a 6 hour drive with three kids in car. Having ASD turned off was the BEST mod for this car. I can hear plenty of engine noise o-natural and when cruising at 80 it was much more comfortable and quite even in sport plus. The car is more noisy than others due to road noise since the thing does not have much sound insulation but it was a much more enjoyable ride with ASD turned off.

Mike
I agree.

I like this car. A lot. I also don't like the ASD feature. That is not a contradiction, nor does it constitute "whining."
Appreciate 0