BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Adaptive LED Headlamps

04-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Adaptive LED Headlamps

I know there are other treads on this topic but how do these work?
My MINI had them and when I got to my driveway and turned the wheel they eliminated to the left. My M2 ones don't do this causing me to almost take out the garbage bin last night.
- Do they operate at low beam and low speeds?
- Is there a setting for them and perhaps they are not turned on?
- Maybe a switch I'm missing?

Help.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
You need the executive package to get them. If you have that, they should always work. If they don’t and you have the executive package, take it back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Page 114.

BMW_M2_Manual_US_2018.pdf
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Read the manual. they are not working as described....

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
First ensure you have adaptive LEDs. They look like this:

Next, test them to see if they are working. You can do this at night or inside of a dark garage by starting the car and turning your steering wheel with the lights set to auto. The beams should move when you turn the wheel, even from a stand still.

If they're not working, visit your dealer.

If they work and you're still unhappy with the beam pattern, you should try coding in VLD.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 05-04-2018 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

OK just went for another drive. They work differently than the MINI. On the MINI they headlamps did not move more LED's came on to illuminate the sides as required. As you can imagine this happened very quickly. The M2 are so slow to move that I did not realise that they were in-fact doing so. They seem to work on some sort of motor. Look good but pale compared to the MINI around town.
I'll code in VLD and see if that helps.
These do work really well on dark roads at night....so not really complaining!

Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
OK just went for another drive. They work differently than the MINI. On the MINI they headlamps did not move more LED's came on to illuminate the sides as required. As you can imagine this happened very quickly. The M2 are so slow to move that I did not realise that they were in-fact doing so. They seem to work on some sort of motor. Look good but pale compared to the MINI around town.
I'll code in VLD and see if that helps.
These do work really well on dark roads at night....so not really complaining!
Us pre-lci guys have the same issue with our adaptive xenons, they need time to move.

Definitely try VLD, in my experience it's made a huge difference.

Coding (Bimmercode) can be found here:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=50

Coding (ESYS) is here:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...08&postcount=2
Appreciate 2
MSurge83.50
      04-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #8
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Us pre-lci guys have the same issue with our adaptive xenons, they need time to move.

Coding (ESYS) is here:

That's great. Thanks for your help.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Coding (ESYS) is here:

Andrew. So how does VLD work? Where is the sensor that detects other cars? (I assume there is one). I am thinking of installing a dashcam at the bottom of the mirror/window cover and am concerned it might block something!

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Andrew. So how does VLD work? Where is the sensor that detects other cars? (I assume there is one). I am thinking of installing a dashcam at the bottom of the mirror/window cover and am concerned it might block something!
Clarification of VLD, HBA, and GFHB:

VLD (Variable Light Distribution) - It only works on your low beams to move your headlights and position the beams on the road depending on steering angle and vehicle speed. It's standard on all European cars but is decoded on all North American cars for legal reasons.

HBA (High Beam Assistant) - North American spec high beams that turn off in the presence of headlights or taillights of other cars and automatically turns the high beams on if no other cars are present.

GFHB (Glare Free High Beams) - European spec high beams that enable your car to keep the high beams on without blinding other cars. This is basically a better and more advanced version of HBA.

European cars get VLD and GFHB standard and us Canadians and Americans have it coded out. All we get is HBA if we chose to get the exec pack. Many people here choose to code VLD and/or GFHB back in themselves because they're really cool features to have even though they're technically not legal.

While GFHB is debatably a safety hazard (because we have different headlight hardware than Europe), VLD is most definitely not a hazard to others (because it's low beam only) so people code it back in all of the time.

Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (headlight switch must be set to auto):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12 horizontal from center and 0.7 lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light: Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8 horizontal from center and lowered 0.7 vertically)

4 - Highway Light: Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5 outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25 vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2 vertical)

Again, VLD headlight movement and position is governed only by the steering angle and speed at which you are traveling. Since it's solely a low beam feature It does not use any cameras or sensors as it is incapable of blinding anyone.

The only sensor you want to watch out for when you mount an ezpass/dashcam etc. is the auto dim sensor which is on the back of the rearview mirror on the passenger side, so it might be a good idea to mount your camera on the drivers side in order to avoid blocking it.

The rain and light sensors used for HBA/GFHB are pretty much impossible to block as they are right against the glass.

I guess you could theoretically block them with an exterior windshield banner so just keep that in mind if you ever get one.

Hope this clears things up. Sorry for the long winded answer.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 08-07-2021 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 20
heavyD^23688.50
Smiler1.50
2+3=5285.00
Mosely593.50
doug_9992541.50
MSurge83.50
RedCarrot230.50
AngryBaby344.50
ZPrime611.50
ORIGIN M.3159.50
dtmurf481.50
David.m437.00
gnx759.50
omasou2088.00
      05-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #11
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Andrew. Not long winded at all. This is so great and well written. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 06:58 AM   #12
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

Thanks Andrew, that was super helpful!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #13
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I noticed all of what Andrew said during the winter months here in Ireland, thank Andrew for clarifying, it is really quite a clever system and the only one I haven't tried is the fog setting!
Must admit I didn't know I had this on my car.
      05-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:

VLD (Variable Light Distribution) - It only works on your low beams to move your headlights and position the beams on the road depending on steering angle and vehicle speed. It's standard on all European cars but is decoded on all North American cars for legal reasons.

HBA (High Beam Assistant) - North American spec high beams that turn off in the presence of headlights or taillights of other cars and automatically turns the high beams on if no other cars are present.

GFHB (Glare Free High Beams) - European spec high beams that enable your car to keep the high beams on without blinding other cars. This is basically a better and more advanced version of HBA.

European cars get VLD and GFHB standard and us Canadians and Americans have it coded out. All we get is HBA if we chose to get the exec pack. Many people here choose to code VLD and/or GFHB back in themselves because they're really cool features to have even though they're technically not legal.

While GFHB is debatably a safety hazard (because we have different headlight hardware than Europe), VLD is most definitely not a hazard to others (because it's low beam only) so people code it back in all of the time.

Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (headlight switch must be set to auto):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12 horizontal from center and 0.7 lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light: Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8 horizontal from center and lowered 0.7 vertically)

4 - Highway Light: Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5 outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25 vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2 vertical)

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Again, VLD headlight movement and position is governed only by the steering angle and speed at which you are traveling. Since it's solely a low beam feature It does not use any cameras or sensors as it is incapable of blinding anyone.

The only sensor you want to watch out for when you mount an ezpass/dashcam etc. is the auto dim sensor which is on the back of the rearview mirror on the passenger side, so it might be a good idea to mount your camera on the drivers side in order to avoid blocking it.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

The rain and light sensors used for HBA/GFHB are pretty much impossible to block as they are right against the glass.

[img]http://www.autoglassquotez.com/photo...7-23-54-42.jpg[/img]

I guess you could theoretically block them with an exterior windshield banner so just keep that in mind if you ever get one.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Holy shit that's dropping the science !
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      05-23-2018, 01:28 AM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]http://www.autoglassquotez.com/photo...7-23-54-42.jpg[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Holy shit that's dropping the science !
Yes indeed

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:47 AM   #16
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]