BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 incoming but coilovers arrived

12-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #89
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex12psi View Post
Thanks for the response! I actually installed them myself. Checked and rechecked. In fact removed and reinstalled. Made sure everything was sitting perfect and it is. The adjusters are at the bottom. The top of the spring is using the factory rubber pad to fit in the upper cup. So I'm positive the install is correct.

When I put the mp springs next to the factory spring, it is definitely shorter, however with the adjusters on the spring, it is the same length. I wonder if the high spring rate causes the rear to be higher. It is DEFINITELY higher than stock. I suspect maybe I got the wrong spring? I was chatting with another forum member than they had the exact same issue and they had to remove the rear adjuster.

I'm just afraid I have the wrong spring? Maybe the spec euro vs USA has something to do with it?

Do u mind if we PM? I can then maybe email u pics and or text u pics. I will have to post the pics when I get to a computer. Thanks again
I'm quite sure the adjuster should sit at the top. Don't have access to my car now but if my memory doesn't play games it was at the top... Springs are all the same. And you shouldn't have to remove the adjuster.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #90
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

The op has the adjusters at the bottom but you cant adjust them with the adjuster down in the arm.
      12-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #91
ex12psi
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
The op has the adjusters at the bottom but you cant adjust them with the adjuster down in the arm.
Yes that's what I thought too! The OP of this thread had the adjusters at the bottom. You can adjust them down there ask me how I know. It's a bitch.

But I think the adjusters should be at the top! Also confirmed the same with a tech from my local BMW dealership

I'm going to flip it to the top and will report back
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 12:33 AM   #92
ex12psi
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

ok so i installed it correctly, with the adjusters at the TOP. now we are in business and everything looks great, see pics here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1335451

i also posted pics of the instruction manual in my thread.

to the OP - its interesting that your pics show the adjusters in the wrong place (at the bottom) however the pics of your car looks as tho the adjusters are installed correctly at the top. would be good to double check.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:37 AM   #93
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex12psi View Post
ok so i installed it correctly, with the adjusters at the TOP. now we are in business and everything looks great, see pics here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1335451

i also posted pics of the instruction manual in my thread.

to the OP - its interesting that your pics show the adjusters in the wrong place (at the bottom) however the pics of your car looks as tho the adjusters are installed correctly at the top. would be good to double check.
Hi Guys
Sorry I have been away on business and flat our just before Xmas so have missed the last few days posts. Glad you have worked it our and got the ride heights right.

I just got back from a couple days road trip and took a few back roads. Interestingly I think the factory recommended setup is too stiff for bumpy back roads. Great on smooth tarmac but I had the abs chattering on one side of the front on entry to a corner and I didn't think I was pushing hard. It doesn't flow - get some hopping sometimes front, sometimes back.

Mind you that's what adjustable suspension is for - to be tuned for purpose.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #94
Robban
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

This is how it should be installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 01:49 AM   #95
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Possible to find a setting equaling to stock in ride comfort? Softest setting still firmer than stock?
      02-16-2017, 02:30 AM   #96
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Possible to find a setting equaling to stock in ride comfort? Softest setting still firmer than stock?
shock setting will be softer but will still be left with a stiffer spring
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:10 AM   #97
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Any idea what wheel alignment spec should I follow with MPS?

I ordered one and am about to install in one week.
      02-20-2017, 03:42 AM   #98
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
try this for road set up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #99
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Thank you M+M.

Is the data sheet you posted MPS specific spec or stock spec? I am asking because I just found this one see attached, which is stock m2 alignment spec or so they said. I notice it's a little different than yours.
Attached Images

02-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #100
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Can anyone confirm the coil-overs can be port installed?

I'm not really down to spend an entire grand to have them retrofitted after purchase
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #101
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Thank you M+M.

Is the data sheet you posted MPS specific spec or stock spec? I am asking because I just found this one see attached, which is stock m2 alignment spec or so they said. I notice it's a little different than yours.
Not sure but if you look at the 'target' column maybe not much difference on the main measurements of camber, toe and caster

There is very little roll using MP set up so I think any camber over 2deg is going to chew the inside when used for road - track is different, increase negative for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #102
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lop00 View Post
Can anyone confirm the coil-overs can be port installed?

I'm not really down to spend an entire grand to have them retrofitted after purchase
Not sure about your market, mine fitted by dealer pre delivery and negotiated a price as part of purchase price so essentially fitted for free
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #103
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Regarding fitment this from my tech at local dealer.

"The front shocks the adjustment can only be on one position. On the rear though the shocks can be placed either way. There is only one right way to fit them though because with the shock fitted upside down the ride height cannot be adjusted to within spec. They can be fitted both ways but only one way is correct. You rear shocks are fitted correctly and they cannot be changed."
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #104
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I hope he's talking about the springs when he says that, as the dampers can only be fitted one way at the rear...
Appreciate 0