BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Camber Plates and Alignment

05-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Lus8aPilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Camber Plates and Alignment

Getting ready for the first track day in the M2 next Friday. Had the Vorschalg camber plates installed, however I'm not sure about the alignment.

After reading / searching quite a few posts here it seems the consensus is that best for track is -2.75 and zero toe. I may have made a mistake when I left instructions for the alignment to be Stock Toe (0*:06sec) when the plates are at street camber setting.

That now means that when I slide the plates out to max neg camber (about -3 degrees) the toe is out / neg 0*:20sec or about 0.33 degrees.

Just curious / opinions about how bad that will be in terms of front tire wear and drivability for one track day. I'll likely get another alignment done and shoot for less toe-out (or zero toe) for track camber setting and just keep it there.

Street setting:
Name:  StreetCamber.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  327.2 KB

Track Setting:
Name:  TrackCamber.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  97.3 KB

Kind of surprising to see that much change in toe when swinging the camber plates from stop to stop.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Camber and Toe are connected. I wouldn't be changing your camber once it's been aligned or your toe will always be off. I set mine to -2.75, toe to a hair toe out and left it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Wear will be shortened to about 2/3 from what you would expect from a normal less than 0.5 -1.0 setting.

They are basically due to uneven weight and load at corner distribution at certain surface of the tire where normally tire should give all around surface contact to the road.

If you track yours, would not be a big deal as it would wear out very easily anyways unless you have separated wheel+tire set for track only use.

Changing camber setting will alter toe setting as well as they are related. Meaning that you will have to get alignment every time you change your camber/toe setting. This cost will basically will cover way more than simply getting tires more often especially when you are having many track sessions in good weather season.

Stay at 2.5-2.7 and all it a day. Change the tires when its needed.
Get good track wheel+tire if you are keeping your car long and want to track at least more than 5-6 full track days per a year. Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

If you have a good alignment rack operator/shop, you can work with them to come up with the sweet spot for street setting vs track. On my E46 a long time back, it was possible to set the camber at -1.5 for the street and put the toe setting at midpoint in the factory range. Then when moving the plate to -2.8, the toe would move to a toe out setting that worked perfectly (don't recall the toe data as it's been so long).

I used a punch to lightly ding the camber plate at each camber setting to allow repeatability. We then moved them from track to street setting, back to track setting, and back to street setting and had excellent repeatability.

Being able to run a reasonable camber and factory middle toe setting on the street really helped on that car with uneven pavement and such -- tramlining was much less than when at the track setting, and high speed straight line tracking was much better also.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #5
Lus8aPilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Thanks! I have a separate set of track wheels/tires. Brought the toe back in a little (one full turn on each tie rod) before the track day today and it handled GREAT.

I'll take it down to an alignment shop and dial in zero toe and just keep the -3 camber I think.

I'll monitor the inside wear on the street tires and adjust my plan from there. (then upgrade the street tires to PS4S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Wear will be shortened to about 2/3 from what you would expect from a normal less than 0.5 -1.0 setting.

They are basically due to uneven weight and load at corner distribution at certain surface of the tire where normally tire should give all around surface contact to the road.

If you track yours, would not be a big deal as it would wear out very easily anyways unless you have separated wheel+tire set for track only use.

Changing camber setting will alter toe setting as well as they are related. Meaning that you will have to get alignment every time you change your camber/toe setting. This cost will basically will cover way more than simply getting tires more often especially when you are having many track sessions in good weather season.

Get good track wheel+tire if you are keeping your car long and want to track at least more than 5-6 full track days per a year. Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #6
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lus8aPilot View Post
Thanks! I have a separate set of track wheels/tires. Brought the toe back in a little (one full turn on each tie rod) before the track day today and it handled GREAT.

I'll take it down to an alignment shop and dial in zero toe and just keep the -3 camber I think.

I'll monitor the inside wear on the street tires and adjust my plan from there. (then upgrade the street tires to PS4S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post

Do the corner balance if u r taking it to a shop. Make sure to do it at reputable one
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

That's significant variation in camber from L to R
Appreciate 0