BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPod Classic & LCI/iDrive 6.0

10-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

iPod Classic & LCI/iDrive 6.0

Had my M2 LCI for a couple of weeks now - love it!

Weird behavior though with iPod classic 160GB. When connected via USB, it eventually works just fine - plays tunes great, shows album artwork, knows about playlists, etc.

However, when I first connect it, and often after then car has been off long enough to "go to sleep", it seems to have a lot of trouble remembering where it was with the iPod. (if the car has been off for only a short time, all seems normal).

In particular, it will indicate "no device connected to USB interface" when I first start the car. If I turn on the Audio, it will play about 1 second of audio (at the start (start - not where it left off) of the track it was playing when I shut the car down (or when I last turned off the audio), and then about 2 seconds of silence. It repeats this stutter-behavior for about 5 or 6 stutters, and then stops stuttering and plays normally - albeit at the beginning of the track rather than where it left off. It seems like it's "too busy" right at first to have the cpu bandwidth to play the track - but after 20 seconds or so, it's ok.

My 2016 M235i did NOT have this problem - so it seems to be either an iDrive 6.0 or an LCI "new feature".

Anybody else experiencing this?

Full disclosure, I run 160GB iPods (several - same behavior on all of them). Each has over 20K tracks - so there's probably quite a bit of data-loading going on when the iPod is first connected to the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
shavarsean
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335 M Performance

I have the exact same issue. If you find a solution please post it here!
Appreciate 1
jjclyde125.50
      03-06-2018, 01:55 AM   #3
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavarsean View Post
Well - hello - nice to hear I'm not alone. The issue has not gone away for me - I've just resigned myself to live with it. Only part of the car that is a clear downgrade from my 2016 M235i ... which makes it particularly annoying ... it used to work!

As someone with a background in s/w development, I view this as a pretty lame failure at Quality Control from BMW's software team. And my hunch is that it has something to do with too much multi-tasking happening at startup - and not enough cpu bandwidth. Seems to me the interface is failing to "keep up" with the iPod - and thus losing the "connection". But that's just a guess. Might be a "buffer too small" problem - who knows. What is clear is that it's embarrassingly unreliable.

The most annoying behavior - which only happens sometimes, not always. Is that not only will it forget where it was in a track, it will completely forget what track it was playing, and default to the first track on the iPod (sorted alphabetically by track name). Can't tell you how many times I've been greeted with Dave Edmund's "A.1. On The Jukebox". Seems a shame to have such a shoddy quality interface in an otherwise brilliant automobile.

It would be interesting to know if there are more than just the 2 of us experiencing this behavior. And if it's just LCI cars.

Anybody else have the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #4
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh - I just noticed your sig - are you having this issue in a 335 (as opposed to an M2)?

Is your 3-er running iDrive 6.0?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Sane thing happens in my Infinity and my Chevy. Its not just a BMW thing, Its Apple. Always starts from the same song from car to car, really annoying.
      03-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Sane thing happens in my Infinity and my Chevy. Its not just a BMW thing, Its Apple. Always starts from the same song from car to car, really annoying.
Appreciate the reply - but I can't agree. It worked perfectly (with the exact same 2 iPods) in my M235i (2016). In the M2 (2018), both iPods suffer the same intermittent problems (sometimes it works properly, sometimes it doesn't).

And in my wife's Audi (2017 A4, USB interface), both iPods behave exaclty as they should (start where last stopped - right song, right place in the song. Neither ever exhibits the stutter-start problem).

So - clearly a BMW flaw from my experience. And a new flaw at that - used to work fine (in my M235).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
shavarsean
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335 M Performance

My car is a 2018 M550 and it does it with my iPod Classic and iPhone.. only time the phone does not do it is over Carplay.

Escalating the Issue to have BMW look into it. Very annoying.. happens 2 / 3 times a day.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:33 AM   #8
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My car is a 2018 M550 and it does it with my iPod Classic and iPhone.. only time the phone does not do it is over Carplay.

Escalating the Issue to have BMW look into it. Very annoying.. happens 2 / 3 times a day.
Very interested to hear what you learn from BMW. Torna vincitore!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
Bullygrrl
BMW noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017, 328D sport wagon

UPDATE 7-/12/2018:
Success! I recently had my software re-flashed, and I bought a Y cable (RadTech, ProCable Line-out. 30 pin to USB/3.5mm: RDT POC2152320) 9 bucks on eBay. Now my iPod Classic interfaces perfectly and instantly!

The software update was due to a self-opening tailgate issue (Know issue). IDK if the success was due to the updated software or the cable or both, but it works and I'm happy because now I have loads of music for road trips. So anyone having the same issue, buy the cable, and if that doesn't work, have the software updated next time you bring your car in for service.

Original post:
I just purchased a 2017 M328D sport wagon with iDrive, xDrive, from Bob Smith in Calabasas. It has more bells and whistles than a circus! So it is taking me some time to figure out how it all works... Also my vehicle didn't come with the media manual, so I'll have to have one sent from the dealer- hopefully they have one!

That said, I was told that my iPod (160 gb classic, 4000+ songs ) would seamlessly interface with my vehicle, with just a USB connection. Well I totally fell for that piece of cheese...

So I connected my iPod and it shows that it recognizes and interfaces with the iDrive, and visa-versa, but did not fully connect over 30 minutes of connection and driving the car– I chalked it up to slow interface on initiation... So on Monday, took a two hour drive to Santa Barbara & back, and it never got past "loading". I do expect the interface to be slower than my laptop, but sheesh!!!

Is this something that any of you have experienced? How long did your's take to "load" and be accessible on the iDrive?

Should I give it a bit more time, or should I just kiss it goodbye now? I do love my new car, but my iPod has worked almost flawlessly for years. Seems like the car should be backward compatible with a little old storage device. I don't think that's too much to expect.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Bullygrrl; 07-12-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
aweedman
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I bought a new iPod touch to live in my armrest. It worked great with IOS 10. The IOS 11 update has caused it to take a long time for skipping tracks, initial connect, etc. I haven't gone to 11.3 yet, bet hope that it fixes it when I do.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

I have the same problem with my 18 m2 and a 128gb ipod touch (newest model). I have about 80gb of data on it. Loading is really slow, often times the display is 5+ seconds behind the ipod (like when changing songs). it restart's tracks occasionally, I get small audio dropouts, especially when the display is doing something (like the map running)

I had a 2016 m235i and it was better but still laggy. Before that I had a 335is with no nav and the business radio worked flawlessly with the ipod despite a much simpler user interface.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 01:34 AM   #12
m2-6mt
Rep
Drives: M2

Same issue with my 2018 M2, I use iPod classic 6G and it stutters for the first 30 seconds. Works fine in my MB and Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

There's something with the classics and some newer interfaces. Some work normally and some don't. My Classic that worked on all my previous cars won't work at all in my Golf R Discovery Pro system as it won't recognize it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #14
m2-6mt
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
Had my M2 LCI for a couple of weeks now - love it!

Weird behavior though with iPod classic 160GB. When connected via USB, it eventually works just fine - plays tunes great, shows album artwork, knows about playlists, etc.

However, when I first connect it, and often after then car has been off long enough to "go to sleep", it seems to have a lot of trouble remembering where it was with the iPod. (if the car has been off for only a short time, all seems normal).

In particular, it will indicate "no device connected to USB interface" when I first start the car. If I turn on the Audio, it will play about 1 second of audio (at the start (start - not where it left off) of the track it was playing when I shut the car down (or when I last turned off the audio), and then about 2 seconds of silence. It repeats this stutter-behavior for about 5 or 6 stutters, and then stops stuttering and plays normally - albeit at the beginning of the track rather than where it left off. It seems like it's "too busy" right at first to have the cpu bandwidth to play the track - but after 20 seconds or so, it's ok.

My 2016 M235i did NOT have this problem - so it seems to be either an iDrive 6.0 or an LCI "new feature".

Anybody else experiencing this?

Full disclosure, I run 160GB iPods (several - same behavior on all of them). Each has over 20K tracks - so there's probably quite a bit of data-loading going on when the iPod is first connected to the car.
Have you gotten this fixed?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #15
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

It's an iDrive issue IMO. I'm using the same iPod Nano in my M2 that I have used in my Golf R and previous vehicles and this is the only car that starts at the beginning of my playlists every time I start the car rather than continue from where it left off. Even the Hyundai rental I had for a few weeks prior to getting this car worked perfect. Something's going on with iDrive where it's resetting the the iPod because the iPod by nature will resume where it left off even when you power it down.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #16
westend117
A Priori
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

iPod Classic iDrive failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
It's an iDrive issue IMO. I'm using the same iPod Nano in my M2 that I have used in my Golf R and previous vehicles and this is the only car that starts at the beginning of my playlists every time I start the car rather than continue from where it left off. Even the Hyundai rental I had for a few weeks prior to getting this car worked perfect. Something's going on with iDrive where it's resetting the the iPod because the iPod by nature will resume where it left off even when you power it down.
I've escalated this issue at both the dealer and corporate level and basically it's just "a known issue" that has no stated path to resolution. I have used the iPod in many different makes and models with no issue except with the version of iDrive in my 2018 M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #17
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Reviving an older thread. I just ran into the same issue you guys were having with iPod classics and new iDrive. Wife and I have been using iPod classics with 25,000 songs for years in our BMWs with zero issues. Just picked her up a 2019 X3 and my self a 2020 M4. We had 2016 340 and an M4 before these cars and the iPods worked great. Now they suck and glitch constantly.

Has anyone found a solution other then shit canning the iPod for a flash drive? I tried this recently and that couldn't handle my enormous music library. I'm playing with the idea of "upgrading" our iPod Classic hard drives to large flash storage and getting rid of the HDD. As someone else posted love everything about the newer car except this annoying shit.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #18
rocketman99
Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '24 X1 M35

I had that problem with my ipod classic when I got my 2017 X3. I just went the usb stick route. When I picked up my M2C last year I didn't even bother trying the ipod, just bought a second USB stick instead.
Appreciate 0