BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Wheel treatment, must do

05-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wheel treatment, must do

Ok so I am one to admit that in the past I was too cheap to do something that has turned out to be a phenomenal investment.....that would be treating your wheels.

On my previous M4 I turned down having the detailer prep and coat my wheels..... $350 seemed stupid to invest on the wheels that were going to always be coated in brake dust, road tar, rock chips, etc....... christ was I stupid.

Nick was quite adamant on the importance of coating since I liked the stock wheels and planned on keeping them. Also Gyeon makes a specific wheel coating just for that purpose....I am sure most others do too. Now I thought he was just trying to sap 350 more pig faces out of my pocket but the tone was right and answers were clear so I gave in. Guys listen to your detailers!

We all know how soft that black paint is on BMW wheels and how sooted they get..... well not anymore. Now going on my 6th month, 4500 miles and much of them motoring thru the mountains these things still sparkle with just a water spray and easy wipe. No wheel brush or scrub....just a spray and wipe with a wash mitt using shampoo and no wheel cleaner. This shit is the bomb

He polished them, prepped and coated. Nick it a true artist...... Not a turn n burn drive thru kind of place but a guy that lives and breaths passion for your car and his work......additionally always there to answer my after purchase questions. If your in Charlotte or with in driving distance to Parks Detailing I urge you to contact him. Hell have your car delivered to him..... you won't be sorry. He is with in 2 hrs or so to the Performance center in Greer also for the new delivery guys

Hit me up for anything

http://parksdetailingofcharlotte.com
https://www.suntekfilms.com/Default.aspx
http://gyeonquartz.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Agreed! I also have the brakes and suspension done
      05-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #3
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Was actually thinking of doing this myself and make a weekend project out if it but have no clue what product to use since there are so many coatings out there.

Anyone do this as a DIY project and what ceramic coating did you use??

Why not https://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-cer...-coating.html?

Why not http://ceramic-pro.com/en/shop/produ...wheelcaliper/?

Why not just simply Cquartz?

So many coatings so little time.

Last edited by BLOJOE; 05-07-2018 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:22 AM   #4
swoosh_SE
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 (6MT AW)

I've been using Ammo Reflex and Skin for the very long and harsh winter in Northern Europe. Snow, salt and road grime haven't affected the wheels at all, and it has been really easy to maintain them. Also, it couldn't be easier to put the stuff on yourself.

I'm sure there are more advanced products out there, but Ammo performs really well and you can easily do everything yourself.

https://www.ammonyc.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
I just applied Gyeon Rim before I put my summer set up back on, and so far it definitely seems to make cleaning easier. The wheels also look tremendous - there seems to be a deeper gloss to them all the time. My understanding is that you want to use a wheel-specific coating since they're designed for higher temps.

As far as DIY, the Gyeon was really easy to use. I basically followed this video:

Gave them all a good cleaning, a light polish, wipe down with 50% IPA, then applied the Gyeon. I think I may have gone a little light with it since I still have quite a bit left, but the results work for me. All of that took me a few hours total, and it seems to be time well-spent.
Appreciate 1
BLOJOE78.50
      05-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
I just applied Gyeon Rim before I put my summer set up back on, and so far it definitely seems to make cleaning easier. The wheels also look tremendous - there seems to be a deeper gloss to them all the time. My understanding is that you want to use a wheel-specific coating since they're designed for higher temps.

As far as DIY, the Gyeon was really easy to use. I basically followed this video:

Gave them all a good cleaning, a light polish, wipe down with 50% IPA, then applied the Gyeon. I think I may have gone a little light with it since I still have quite a bit left, but the results work for me. All of that took me a few hours total, and it seems to be time well-spent.
Perfect! Thanks! I'm sooooo going to do this once I get the road rash fixed on one wheel... ...not going to jack it up like that though...

Last edited by BLOJOE; 05-09-2018 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

I used Cquartz UK on the wheels followed an hour later by Carpro Reload when the car was new. Maintenance washes have been a breeze getting the wheels clean since. I usually follow up after a wash with a few quick sprays of Carpro Hydro2 Lite. Doing this has kept my wheels extremely hydrophobic and allows my following cleaning to be even easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 03:26 AM   #8
RN_2021
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I got my wheel faces coated when I ceramic coated my car and cleaning them is super easy now. Just a simple wash, some IronX, brush them real quick, spray it down, and they look good as new AND with the sheen it seemed to have from when I first bought the car. Definitely worth coating if you plan to keep them in the long run
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 02:48 AM   #9
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Coated my wheels with Dlux, also did the calipers, fender liners and engine bay. The fender liners look amazing, nice deep satin black, also a must do with the wheels.
Appreciate 0