BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > DashCams

04-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

DashCams

So why are 90% of dashcams sold in North America designed for RHD Vehicles? All of them.
Bought a F800 Pro and could not get it out of the way properly because the camera is on the drivers side. Called the manufacturer and they admitted that all their cameras are for RHD cars. Not to say you can't use them....most people do.
The only camera I have found is the MINI0906. I used an older model in my JCW and it was close to perfect. the new model is not as feature rich as some of the higher end models but it is discrete.
I saw that a couple of people had added the cameras that fit in a new cowling that wraps the mirror. These do not fit the cars with the speed sign camera so these aren't an option for me....
Any other thoughts?

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
chip_dip19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
So why are 90% of dashcams sold in North America designed for RHD Vehicles? All of them.
Bought a F800 Pro and could not get it out of the way properly because the camera is on the drivers side. Called the manufacturer and they admitted that all their cameras are for RHD cars. Not to say you can't use them....most people do.
The only camera I have found is the MINI0906. I used an older model in my JCW and it was close to perfect. the new model is not as feature rich as some of the higher end models but it is discrete.
I saw that a couple of people had added the cameras that fit in a new cowling that wraps the mirror. These do not fit the cars with the speed sign camera so these aren't an option for me....
Any other thoughts?
I ran into the same problem. I just installed my f800 pro in the middle at the bottom of the mirror base since it was the cleanest spot to install it
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip_dip19 View Post
I ran into the same problem. I just installed my f800 pro in the middle at the bottom of the mirror base since it was the cleanest spot to install it
Yes that is a nice unit. I just wish they would come up with a separate camera and "Box". That way you could bury the box in the glove box and only have the tiny camera on the dash. Once you set these things up you hardly ever look at them again.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Yes that is a nice unit. I just wish they would come up with a separate camera and "Box". That way you could bury the box in the glove box and only have the tiny camera on the dash. Once you set these things up you hardly ever look at them again.
Okay most ppl dont know but most of the dashcam (good ones) are made in Korea, or at least Korean brand products.
Pinevue, Thinkware, Blackvue, all Korean products.

However, thing is that you are going to pay almost double the price of what they sell in South Korea. (Distributor margin, duties and taxes, transportation, etc).
You can buy one from one of Korean website (best known to sell any product) call "Gmarket" which they do have English website that ships internationally. If you buy one from here you will save at least $50 or more.

http://global.gmarket.co.kr/Home/Mai...caAg9cEALw_wcB

Make your search on the tab and you will find it.
However, keep in mind that you could get your product that is in language of Korean. Some product offers option to change the language and some won't haha... But you will get a good price.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I have a Blackvue 750-2ch, works fine. Had my wife stand outside the car while I stuck it to the glass so she insured I had the lens centered under the mirror.

I can't even see the camera from my driving position, it's hidden behind the RVM for me.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
I have a VAVA Dashcam! Lovely piece of kit and cheap as well

If you want you can get it with a discount. Check if this works on Amazon.com.

Buyer get fixed price £85.99 for the Dash Cam
Claim code: VAVA66GO
Code valid time: 10/04/2018 11:00 BST - 31/05/2018 23:59 BST

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

InCarBite just emailed me. They have a new model that will fit the M2 with the traffic sign reader.
It is older tech but fits right in. It is expensive @ $300 with no rear camera..
This likely means that someone in China is building the "boxes". Was thinking if there was a similar cheaper model you could install the "guts" of high end unit with a rear camera if you were really obsessivehttp://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Any other thoughts?
Viofo A119S v2

I tucked it on the right side of the driver side mirror, USB cord exits right out of the top of the mount. It's perfect, you can't even see it from the driver seat.
      05-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Viofo A119S v2

I tucked it on the right side of the driver side mirror, USB cord exits right out of the top of the mount. It's perfect, you can't even see it from the driver seat.
Looks nice but Amazon has dimension that are not correct and the manufactures website does not show the V2.....
Any pics of you install?

Appreciate 0