BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Camber Plates, drive 20k a year, setting advice?

04-27-2018, 01:53 AM   #1
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Camber Plates, drive 20k a year, setting advice?

I drive 20k a year and currently run the 4s on my car for daily driving and have a dedicated set of 19" wheels running OEM sized Cup2 tires for the track (likely will switch to an 18" square setup at some point. I will be installing Ground Control Camber Plates to dial in some camber and help extend the tire life etc. I have read every post I can find and some dial in -2.5 to -2.75 with zero or slight toe and leave them for both track and daily. I would be cool with trying that but don't want to sacrifice my daily tires too much. The others who have reported doing this seem to be using their cars for far fewer miles.

I am seeking advice on the best compromise to not kill my daily tires while getting my desired results on track. I am guessing that I would try -2.75 zero or slight toe in and then maybe dial in a little more negative camber at the track depending on the track, tire wear etc.

Any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

The tie rods connect in front of the axle centerline, so toe variation with camber changes is favorable...meaning changing camber toward a more negative setting results in more toe out.

What I've done in the past on an E46 was to try to find the sweet spot of a street setting for camber and toe, and then move the plates to my track setting, marking both spots on each plate with a tiny punch ding, and seeing how much the toe changes toward toe out.

I was able to set the street setting at -1.5 degrees and set the toe within the factory range (we went just the other side of the middle of the range), and then when moving the plate to -3.0 degrees and leaving the toe adjustment alone, it moved to just the right amount of toe out for the track.

I've not seen anyone post this type of setup on an alignment rack for the M2, but it's worth a shot if you have local enthusiast shop who will work with you on the alignment rack once you explain the plan.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50