BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > First track day with my 18 M2 MT

04-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
First track day with my 18 M2 MT

(This is just a personal experience review of my first track day - hope someone finds it entertaining or helpful)

I am so very pleased with this car after doing my first track day - it's incredible!

HEX Stage 2, CSF FMIC, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Stock Conti's

The weather today was poor (upper 20F to lower 30F), but no precipitation. I had the car in Sport+ and it was doing quite a bit to stop from spinning out as I accelerated out of the corners. I didn't have to guts yet to shut off traction control completely (the snow piles would be more forgiving than a wall, but I wanted to stay on the track for my first event). The car was very well balanced. The brakes are so much better than I expected (stock pads) - I can brake much later than I am used to in a different car. Two straights with a top speed of a bit over 100 for one straight and 90 for another straight - the pads felt like they couldn't any more than that (will get new pads for the next track day). Lap times of about 64 seconds (smaller local track - Dakota County Tech Center in Rosemont, MN). 8.7 mpg including a quick trip to the gas station.

Very happy with the capabilities of this car (and I didn't get passed all day - that feels good)!
Appreciate 2
emargul204.50
sodara11.50
      04-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
TimOudin
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

If you think DCTC is fun, then you really need to get up to Brainerd, June 2-3, with North Star BMW! There’s absolutely no comparison beteeen the two! It’d be awesome to see another M2 there as there’s only two of us so far.

Any questions, hit me up, I’m the driving event guy for the club.
      04-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOudin View Post
If you think DCTC is fun, then you really need to get up to Brainerd, June 2-3, with North Star BMW! There’s absolutely no comparison beteeen the two! It’d be awesome to see another M2 there as there’s only two of us so far.

Any questions, hit me up, I’m the driving event guy for the club.

Thanks! My task for tonight is to plan my next few events (just ordered track pads because I might have messed up my stock pads [shudder, deposits, etc?] and a couple times I felt a bit of fade). I have been to BIR a few times, but it was 5+ years ago with a different car (DSM). Hoping to get there again this year - and hope to see you there! Thanks for mentioning it!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
TimOudin
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Stock pads, probably just deposits/pad transfer. DCTC does introduce some pretty hard braking zones, enough to take OEM stuff out of their comfort zone!

We’re doing an introductory thing for track newbies out at Speedy Race Gear on the 28th. Content may be old news for you but I will be talking on brakes, and there’s free food. Some track junkies from both BMW and Audi clubs will be out who have leads on some of the better events in the area. Info is on the club website if interested.
      06-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
sodara
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

How were the fluid temps on a hotter day? any worries about limp mode?
I'd definitely run different pads and switch to motul 600
DCTC is pretty technical. never been out to brainerd yet, hopefully proving grounds sometime in Sept.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #6
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodara View Post
DCTC is pretty technical. never been out to brainerd yet, hopefully proving grounds sometime in Sept.
After over 50 track days on mine I would tell you to use SRF or Motul 660, track pads like PFC08, SS brake lines, proper track alignment ( GC camber plates are nice)...from there a lot more can be done but this is a good start.
Appreciate 1
sodara11.50
      06-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodara View Post
No issues with fluids at all. For my second event I ran into limp mode due to only half a tank of gas, but it went away after stopping the session. Then I filled up with gas. In the mid 80s (F) no issues either. Running Pagid RSL1s in the front (RSL29s were out of stock at the time of order) and the RSL29s in the rear with Motul 660 Fluid. (I have SS lines but haven't had time to install them yet.) I love the brakes on this car! Now the weak link is the stock Conti's - which I am not that disappointed in yet (until I try something hopefully better). I might get 1 more track day until I have to replace the tires (for a total of 4 track days [11 20-min sessions] and 7,300 miles). Contemplating a set of track rims/tires.

Track Night in America at DCTC has been enjoyable for me - I'd recommend it! Same course layout so you can practice the various corners. I have been in the Advanced group and have thoroughly enjoyed myself - best $125 I can spend! Am hoping to go with the Audi club to Brainerd in August. I ran Brainerd in the past (10+ years ago) with a different car and it is a great track! I might have to venture out of the state next year.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 03:00 AM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
No issues with fluids at all. For my second event I ran into limp mode due to only half a tank of gas, but it went away after stopping the session. Then I filled up with gas. In the mid 80s (F) no issues either. Running Pagid RSL1s in the front (RSL29s were out of stock at the time of order) and the RSL29s in the rear with Motul 660 Fluid. (I have SS lines but haven't had time to install them yet.) I love the brakes on this car! Now the weak link is the stock Conti's - which I am not that disappointed in yet (until I try something hopefully better). I might get 1 more track day until I have to replace the tires (for a total of 4 track days [11 20-min sessions] and 7,300 miles). Contemplating a set of track rims/tires.

Track Night in America at DCTC has been enjoyable for me - I'd recommend it! Same course layout so you can practice the various corners. I have been in the Advanced group and have thoroughly enjoyed myself - best $125 I can spend! Am hoping to go with the Audi club to Brainerd in August. I ran Brainerd in the past (10+ years ago) with a different car and it is a great track! I might have to venture out of the state next year.
What's up with limp mode with a half tank of gas? Is this by design or is a fuel pump problem that would only be noticed in high performance driving?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
What's up with limp mode with a half tank of gas? Is this by design or is a fuel pump problem that would only be noticed in high performance driving?
Most BMW's have that problem. I just learned to keep my tank full. It's because they don't have the ribs that stop the fuel from sloshing back and forth. As far as I know it's nothing to do with the fuel pump.
Appreciate 0