BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > SA Helmet Recommendations

03-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #23
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would share my experiences. A year ago I bought the Bell M.8 Carbon in the size the chart showed, it was comfortable and seemed to fit snug enough. My only issue was the shape of the eye port wasn't the best for my claustrophobia (many days in a gas mask in the Gulf War) so I bought a cheap open face helmet for autocross and set the Bell aside. As I approach my first HPDE day and knowing I will want to do a lot of tracking after doing a couple of M schools (2 day and advanced M) I started doing research on other full face options that might be better. I came across a video on youtube from Northstar Motorsports where they showed how to know if a helmet fits properly. What they show is that when you first get a helmet is should take some effort to get on and off and should be very snug, much more snug than my Bell is. Their point is that as you wear the helmet is breaks in a bit so the comfortable helmet can become too big where the snug helmet will become perfect. Realizing I know had two issues I took their advice and called them for advice on models that fit my size and shape. Bell helmets are great for round heads, in my case I have a egg head so I decided to go with a Stilo ST5. My head size is 61.5 cm so they suggested I go with the 61 but were willing to send me two helmets to compare and send one back which is probably the best way to go if your on the fence. Anyway I got the helmet on Saturday, it took some effort to get on and I could immediately feel that snugness they talked about, the bonus was the shape of the eye port helmet is perfect for my psych issue as it is taller and being more oval the front portion in front of the mouth is much further away so you don't feel like your breathing through the helmet at all.

Sorry for the length but I thought I would share and hope this helps someone in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #24
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would share my experiences. A year ago I bought the Bell M.8 Carbon in the size the chart showed, it was comfortable and seemed to fit snug enough. My only issue was the shape of the eye port wasn't the best for my claustrophobia (many days in a gas mask in the Gulf War) so I bought a cheap open face helmet for autocross and set the Bell aside. As I approach my first HPDE day and knowing I will want to do a lot of tracking after doing a couple of M schools (2 day and advanced M) I started doing research on other full face options that might be better. I came across a video on youtube from Northstar Motorsports where they showed how to know if a helmet fits properly. What they show is that when you first get a helmet is should take some effort to get on and off and should be very snug, much more snug than my Bell is. Their point is that as you wear the helmet is breaks in a bit so the comfortable helmet can become too big where the snug helmet will become perfect. Realizing I know had two issues I took their advice and called them for advice on models that fit my size and shape. Bell helmets are great for round heads, in my case I have a egg head so I decided to go with a Stilo ST5. My head size is 61.5 cm so they suggested I go with the 61 but were willing to send me two helmets to compare and send one back which is probably the best way to go if your on the fence. Anyway I got the helmet on Saturday, it took some effort to get on and I could immediately feel that snugness they talked about, the bonus was the shape of the eye port helmet is perfect for my psych issue as it is taller and being more oval the front portion in front of the mouth is much further away so you don't feel like your breathing through the helmet at all.

Sorry for the length but I thought I would share and hope this helps someone in the future.
Strange about the eye port. The M8 is suppose to have the largest eye port of the Bells not sure about Stilo.

When I tried on my first helmet years ago at OG Racing the guy said it should be snug like you said. In fact it felt a bit uncomfortably snug.

Just want to add that when testing the fit put the helmet on and leave it on for ~ 15 minutes to make sure that it isn't too snug...and yeah it was a bit weird sitting in the shop w/a helmet on for that long.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #25
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I agree that you want to be careful it isn't too snug. The helmet I bought is very snug, it's fine when I'm only wearing the helmet but if I have to wear a communicator earpiece + mic it becomes uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #26
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
I agree that you want to be careful it isn't too snug. The helmet I bought is very snug, it's fine when I'm only wearing the helmet but if I have to wear a communicator earpiece + mic it becomes uncomfortable.
On some of my past helmets the foam is cut out near the chin strap anchor point which is close to the ear. Not sure if that would help provide room to mount an ear piece?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #27
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Strange about the eye port. The M8 is suppose to have the largest eye port of the Bells not sure about Stilo.

When I tried on my first helmet years ago at OG Racing the guy said it should be snug like you said. In fact it felt a bit uncomfortably snug.

Just want to add that when testing the fit put the helmet on and leave it on for ~ 15 minutes to make sure that it isn't too snug...and yeah it was a bit weird sitting in the shop w/a helmet on for that long.

I was able to put the helmets side by side and measure them. The eye ports are similar in size but different in shape and position, the Stilo having less helmet under the opening so that is the difference for me at least. After spending a couple of days in the Stilo it is definitely the helmet for my needs. Passed the M8 on to a guy off of Rennlist and he is super happy with it so all worked out. Shows the importance of trying multiple helmets on if at all possible.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      03-30-2018, 02:23 AM   #28
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
wearing a balaclava also helps absorb some of the sweat and oils and keeps the inside of the helmet in better shape.
Appreciate 0