BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Xpel Full Wrap Not So Full? CeramicPro Coating Not Coated Everywhere?

02-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Xpel Full Wrap Not So Full? CeramicPro Coating Not Coated Everywhere?

Hi there. I’m having my M2 fully wrapped in Xpel Ultimate then coated with CeramicPro. I’m curious:

- Are there any portions of the car that cannot be covered in PPF? I’m especially curious about the GPS fin, the side mirrors, the front headlights and the rear taillights.
- Are there any portions of the PPF-wrapped car that cannot be then coated in CeramicPro?

I ask because the installer I’m working with gave the following notes:

- The rear tail lights will not be covered in Xpel Ultimate PPF.
- The front head lights and side mirrors can either (1) be covered in Xpel PPF *or* (2) coated in CeramicPro.

Is the installer just being lazy, or are the Xpel templates difficult for these portions of the M2? Why would one choose to coat with CeramicPro and not wrap on the side mirrors and front head lights?

Lastly, for warranty, should I be expecting some kind of certificate or something for Xpel or Ceramic Pro? Thanks.

Last edited by cornercase; 02-19-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Deathboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

They should definitely be able to ppf the mirrors. Headlights are a different story some come with a coating from the factory that can delaminate when ppf is removed. My installer doesn't wrap headlights for Porsches because of this. Taillights its not really needed. Yes they should give you a warranty certificate.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Xpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
Hi there. I’m having my M2 fully wrapped in Xpel Ultimate then coated with CeramicPro. I’m curious:

- Are there any portions of the car that cannot be covered in PPF? I’m especially curious about the GPS fin, the side mirrors, the front headlights and the rear taillights.
- Are there any portions of the PPF-wrapped car that cannot be then coated in CeramicPro?

I ask because the installer I’m working with gave the following notes:

- The rear tail lights will not be covered in Xpel Ultimate PPF.
- The front head lights and side mirrors can either (1) be covered in Xpel PPF *or* (2) coated in CeramicPro.

Is the installer just being lazy, or are the Xpel templates difficult for these portions of the M2? Why would one choose to coat with CeramicPro and not wrap on the side mirrors and front head lights?

Lastly, for warranty, should I be expecting some kind of certificate or something for Xpel or Ceramic Pro? Thanks.
Not sure why they wouldn't wrap the mirrors and the headlights.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
Not sure why they wouldn't wrap the mirrors and the headlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathboy View Post
They should definitely be able to ppf the mirrors. Headlights are a different story some come with a coating from the factory that can delaminate when ppf is removed. My installer doesn't wrap headlights for Porsches because of this.
Thank you, both. Bruce, are there any portions of the Xpel template that are missing / difficult to install on the M2? Do you all wrap the front headlights on M2? How about ceramic coating on the wrapped mirrors and headlights? Is there any concern with the headlight delaminate coating that Deathboy mentioned? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

My headlights and mirrors are wrapped in XPel.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      02-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
My headlights and mirrors are wrapped in XPel.
Thanks. Did they not wrap any areas, like the GPS fin?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Xpel

Quote:
Thank you, both. Bruce, are there any portions of the Xpel template that are missing / difficult to install on the M2? Do you all wrap the front headlights on M2? How about ceramic coating on the wrapped mirrors and headlights? Is there any concern with the headlight delaminate coating that Deathboy mentioned? Thanks!
There should be a template for the headlights. BMW headlights aren't that difficult to wrap. The mirrors should have a piece, but you may want to opt for a custom install that gets more coverage, but even the template gives good forward impact coverage.
You can ceramic coat over the film on the headlights and mirrors.

The only ones that are a maybe on wrapping are the new Porsche headlights, they tend to delaminate easy.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There should be a template for the headlights. BMW headlights aren't that difficult to wrap. The mirrors should have a piece, but you may want to opt for a custom install that gets more coverage, but even the template gives good forward impact coverage.
You can ceramic coat over the film on the headlights and mirrors.

The only ones that are a maybe on wrapping are the new Porsche headlights, they tend to delaminate easy.
Thanks, Bruce. I understand that the tail lights won’t be wrapped. Just a little surprised that the company said either wrap or ceramic coat the headlamps and mirrors, not both. And they’re not going to wrap the GPS fin even though they’ll coat it with CeramicPro. Any thoughts?

They also said neither the emblems, front kidney grills nor side grills will be removed, but I’ve seen your and others’ work with attention to detail. I guess the template will be exclusively used. Kinda makes me wish I could work with you all.

Last edited by cornercase; 02-20-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
The headlights and mirrors can be PPF'd. I have it myself.

Anything they don't have a template for, such as the taillights, you can coat in Modesta or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #10
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Xpel

Quote:
Thanks, Bruce. I understand that the tail lights won’t be wrapped. Just a little surprised that the company said either wrap or ceramic coat the headlamps and mirrors, not both. And they’re not going to wrap the GPS fin even though they’ll coat it with CeramicPro. Any thoughts?

They also said neither the emblems, front kidney grills nor side grills will be removed, but I’ve seen your and others’ work with attention to detail. I guess the template will be exclusively used. Kinda makes me wish I could work with you all.
There are guys in your area that can do the type of work that you are wanting.
Check with Envious Detail, see how close they are.

What you are describing is a standard install. There is nothing wrong with that type of install if that is what you want, but you don't have to settle for that. If you want those items removed, then I would find someone that will remove them and wrap those edges. That can be done with a modified template as well, or full custom. As far as the Fin, I probably wouldn't wrap that either, but if you want it, you are the customer and they should be able to accommodate these types of preferences, albeit at more of a premium.

As far as choosing a coated area over a film area, there is no good reason to coat over film if you are looking for the same type of impact resistance that the film offers. "NO COATING ON THE MARKET will give you that."

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #11
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Envious

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1465898

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have full front including mirror caps (painted parts only) head lights A pillars full hood full fender leading edge of roof etc
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      02-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There are guys in your area that can do the type of work that you are wanting.
Check with Envious Detail, see how close they are.

What you are describing is a standard install. There is nothing wrong with that type of install if that is what you want, but you don't have to settle for that. If you want those items removed, then I would find someone that will remove them and wrap those edges. That can be done with a modified template as well, or full custom. As far as the Fin, I probably wouldn't wrap that either, but if you want it, you are the customer and they should be able to accommodate these types of preferences, albeit at more of a premium.

As far as choosing a coated area over a film area, there is no good reason to coat over film if you are looking for the same type of impact resistance that the film offers. "NO COATING ON THE MARKET will give you that."

Bruce
Thanks, Bruce. I didn’t realize those extra steps were more of a custom and non-standard install. I’m in Northern California, but I’ll see how this standard wrap and ceramic coating turns out. I’m excited and was told that I’ll receive the car in 10 days.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
I have full front including mirror caps (painted parts only) head lights A pillars full hood full fender leading edge of roof etc
I do as well and it's all your fault.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:

He he he
Appreciate 0