BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Spied: New BMW M2 prototype testing at the Nurburgring

03-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #177
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

BMW needs to slap the s55 here and call it a day and make a no frills M2 without radar cruise, HUD, DCT, lane change monitoring, no navi, etc. Let's face it 75% + of M3/M4 owners want all this stuff in the car. So if BMW does not offer these options for the M2 it won't cababolize M3/M4 sales no matter how much hp the M2 has.

All the hardcore e46 M3 buyers from yesterday will all be buying the M2. I myself loved the e46 M3 but I missed out on the action because I was still young and in school and could not afford the car. Now that I have my life together, out of school I would love to purchase a 420 hp minimum M2 weighing 2800-3100 lbs.

Look at the cayman gt4 it's as fast as the previous 911 GT3 around the ring. Porsche is starting to throw more engine performance into the cayman that people been asking for a long time. With the GT4 it's still not enough IMO.

Last edited by chmura; 03-26-2015 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #178
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNcOmINg! View Post
I may be mistaken, but I can't think of another production BMW that has ever had a round filler cap!?
Not a round filler door, but my '74 2002tii had a round filler cap.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #179
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
BMW needs to slap the s55 here and call it a day and make a no frills M2 without radar cruise, HUD, DCT, lane change monitoring, no navi, etc. Let's face it 75% + of M3/M4 owners want all this stuff in the car. So if BMW makes does not offer these options for the M2 it won't cababolize M3/M4 sales no matter how much hp the M3 has.

Look at the cayman gt4 it's as fast as the previous 911 GT3 around the ring. Porsche is starting to throw more engine performance into the cayman that people been asking for a long time. With the GT4 it's still not enough IMO.
I would personally love to see this but I don't think it's going to happen. I also don't think we necessarily need the hp/tq output of the s55 on this platform. A more balanced car is what they are after here and an n55+ should achieve that nicely.

I also 100% agree that we can do w/o the options you mentioned and I'm planning to do a stripper M2 build myself. 6MT M2, paint, sound, done. This does assume the performance seats are standard as well as any weight reducing parts, will gladly add those if needed.

Does anyone have an idea of the weight difference between the s55 and n55?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #180
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
I would personally love to see this but I don't think it's going to happen. I also don't think we necessarily need the hp/tq output of the s55 on this platform. A more balanced car is what they are after here and an n55+ should achieve that nicely.
And a detuned variant of the S55 would achieve that. It would be nothing more than a software change for BMW to achieve whatever power figures the M division deems appropriate.

What interest me is the inherent "bull-proofness" and throttle response of that engine vs the N55. The S55 is built from the crankcase up for "M duty" as it were and is a way better motor independent of the power figures.

If I'm buying an M car...with the M BEFORE THE NUMBER 2...I want a bespoke M engine, not a warmed over sedan/SUV motor.

BMW, feel free to charge me a few extra thousands for the S55. I will gladly pay it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #181
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Look at the contouring along the side of the body...wow!
      03-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #182
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Any day now, I'm expecting a video of the car at the Nurburgring.

Either way, I'm just glad we got something new to look at. It was getting a little ridiculous.
We beat that last horse to death, one too many times.

Do you think we'll see a GTS M2, here?
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #183
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Question different gas cap doors ?

Artemis pointed out to me that the M2 test cars have different gas/fuel doors. One square and one round. ???

Square...
Name:  gas cap door square.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  596.1 KB

Round...
Name:  Gas door circular.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  529.7 KB
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #184
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post

Yea, that horse was brought back to life and beaten to death again many times. I just hope we'll keep seeing more mules, and before we know it, it'll be finally released.

Personally, I'm very skeptical of the M2 GTS. I wouldn't be surprised if we are all talking about the replacement for maybe the M235i Racing? Wouldn't make sense for that car to go on when an M2 is out you know?

And if we are talking about a street going version of the M2 GTS, then:
1) It'll prob be limited
2) Be out of my budget
3) Not even offered in the US

So I'm not following it too closely. Like I've said before, I just want metallic paint, 6MT, cloth seats, no sunroof or any other options for that matter. That's it. I'll make my own "GTS"
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 3
      03-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #185
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
I want hydraulic steering and real sound damn it!!
Quote:
Yea, that horse was brought back to life and beaten to death again many times. I just hope we'll keep seeing more mules, and before we know it, it'll be finally released.

Personally, I'm very skeptical of the M2 GTS. I wouldn't be surprised if we are all talking about the replacement for maybe the M235i Racing? Wouldn't make sense for that car to go on when an M2 is out you know?

1) It'll prob be limited
2) Be out of my budget

So I'm not following it too closely. Like I've said before, I just want metallic paint, 6MT, cloth seats, no sunroof or any other options for that matter. That's it. I'll make my own "GTS"

Hells Yes

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #186
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamowe View Post
One more little news: A follower of my Facebook M2 fansite has seen in the bmw plant (paintshop) in Leipzig a couple of BMW M2s painted in estorilblue with the circular fuel caps.
Not EB. Long Beach Blue.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #187
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Those are some wide hips. Like a Brazilian girl's backside.

Look at how low the arches start to flare on the rear. It looks more like the M3 and less like the M4 - a lot less of a sculpted-in look.

03-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #188
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Those are some wide hips. Like a Brazilian girl's backside.

Look at how low the arches start to flare on the rear. It looks more like the M3 and less like the M4 - a lot less of a sculpted-in look.

I think it completely depends on the angle you look at, which is why I find it really interesting. From some angles, it's very pronounced like the F80. In some other angles, it's more similar to the F82.

Either way, I think it looks great and really suits the car somehow.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #189
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:

1) It'll prob be limited
2) Be out of my budget

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #190
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:

1) It'll prob be limited
2) Be out of my budget

Absolutely!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #191
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphil
The baby m always seem to get short changed

No special S engine
No carbon roof
No special mirrors
No power bump on hood

Always feel like they hold back due to not waiting to step on the m4 toes

The body does look bloody good but will it be enough to get me out of my 1m?
I get depressed when someone posts reality.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #192
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
BMW needs to slap the s55 here and call it a day and make a no frills M2 without radar cruise, HUD, DCT, lane change monitoring, no navi, etc. Let's face it 75% + of M3/M4 owners want all this stuff in the car. So if BMW does not offer these options for the M2 it won't cababolize M3/M4 sales no matter how much hp the M2 has.

All the hardcore e46 M3 buyers from yesterday will all be buying the M2. I myself loved the e46 M3 but I missed out on the action because I was still young and in school and could not afford the car. Now that I have my life together, out of school I would love to purchase a 420 hp minimum M2 weighing 2800-3100 lbs.

Problem is you just have people ---a lot of people who are even on this forum, who just want an M, because it's an M. Just to profile and show off and say that they have an M. They want all the lux items, and the convertible.
Let's face it, BMW is also known to attract a certain "crowd", like sport bikes are known to attract the squid crowd.

So, this M2 that you speak of, would be limited in number, and the price would be big...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #193
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post

1) It'll prob be limited
2) Be out of my budget

GTS and M235i racing have nothing to do with each other.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #194
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME
Quote:

Problem is you just have people---a lot of people on this forum, who just want an M, because it's an M. Just to profile and show off and say that they have an M. They want all the lux items, and the convertible.
Let's face it, BMW is also known to attract a certain "crowd", like sport bikes are known to attract the squid crowd.

So, this M2 that you speak of, would be limited in number, and the price would be big...
You mean like 95% of the P GT3 owners that get the full leather, the hifi stereo, the nav, the colored stitching, blah blah.

GT3's resemble a Merc 550 more so than a track weapon.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #195
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
I'm not an expert aero guy by any means, but I don't see what that opening would be for. At least on the bottom of the bumper, the smooths the air going around the wheels, but what would that one by the headlight do?
What it could do is induce extra air flow on the internal side of the wheel arch at a desired location along a desired stream path.

The induced airflow will create a gradient pressure difference between the more stagnant air on the lower inside of the wheel cavity relative to the air flowing above it from the inlet.

This introduction of moving air at the top of the wheel well could effectively pull some of the stagnant (not completely stagnant obviously, but less chaotic) air out from it's original location. The new air inflow will not change the net mass flowrate of air through the wheel well but it could alter the ratio of warmer, more stagnant air to free flowing, "fresh" air as it pushes some of the older, warmer air out.

Thus, at any given time the ratio of fresh/initial air will be greater than if the inlet was not in place. I believe this could be honed in on specific areas such as the breaks if desired.

Fresher air is less hot, so through *forced* convective heat transfer it can pull quite a bit of extra heat energy out of the brakes.

Again the fact that it's a small inlet may not matter because they could conceivably alter the stream path to a point where it optimizes the beneficial effects/introduced negative effects (perhaps drag in this case).

That's my short hand answer from an engineering perspective.

Last edited by Adem1534; 03-26-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #196
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
GTS and M235i racing have nothing to do with each other.
You're missing my point. Scott keeps saying the M2's more hardcore cousin and everyone on this forum automatically assumed he's saying it's an M2 GTS/CSL for the road. He never actually confirmed that. He just said a car with potentially with fixed aero, more aggressive suspension and potentially water injection.

For all we know, that could be the M2 race car. Like I said before, with the M2 coming out, wouldn't BMW want to retire the M235 Racing and replace it with an M2 race car? Food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #197
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
I have said this before and I think there is a chance but it is fairly small. I expect intense aero design like that to be saved for the CSL, but I will stick with my instincts that there is a non zero chance it makes it to the M2.
I'm not an expert aero guy by any means, but I don't see what that opening would be for. At least on the bottom of the bumper, the smooths the air going around the wheels, but what would that one by the headlight do?
They're to cool the unobtanium powered headlights which light up your whole journey from the starting position but can run hot!
      03-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #198
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
What it could do is induce extra air flow on the internal side of the wheel arch at a desired location along a desired stream path.

The induced airflow will create a gradient pressure difference between the more stagnant air on the lower inside of the wheel cavity relative to the air flowing above it from the inlet.

This introduction of moving air at the top of the wheel well could effectively pull some of the stagnant (not completely stagnant obviously, but less chaotic) air out from it's original location. The new air inflow will not change the net mass flowrate of air through the wheel well but it could alter the ratio of warmer, more stagnant air to free flowing, "fresh" air as it pushes some of the older, warmer air out.

Thus, at any given time the ratio of fresh/initial air will be greater than if the inlet was not in place. I believe this could be honed in on specific areas such as the breaks if desired.

Fresher air is less hot, so through *forced* convective heat transfer it can pull quite a bit of extra heat energy out of the brakes.

Again the fact that it's a small inlet may not matter because they could conceivably alter the stream path to a point where it optimizes the beneficial effects/introduced negative effects (perhaps drag in this case).

That's my short hand answer from an engineering perspective.
Meh, I don't see it. If the opening was as big as the GT Concept, then yes, I'd understand. But look at the surface area of the test cars.

It looks more or less the same as the E9x M3. I think it's nothing but just for visual effect and there's no hole behind that camo. Guess we'll see
Appreciate 1