BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coilovers vs AST 5100

04-14-2024, 12:53 AM   #1
ozmartini
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

M Performance Coilovers vs AST 5100

Hey all

I own a basically stock 21 M2C aside from exhaust and exterior mods. My goals are to improve the harshness of the stock ride while also improving handling/grip. This all started after I drove a 718 Boxster S for a week and realized how shitty M2C stock suspension felt in comparison to that; want to make it feel closer to that Boxster if I can.

I've never owned a car with coilovers so I'm very new to this. My car is my daily driver and will be driven in Chicago winters. I don't track my car, but I do take it on road trips for spirited canyon/mountain drives. Will want it to be reliable and last through Chicago winters.

Currently leaning towards MPS given price and reliability. Wanted to know also with both options: what additional things do I have to buy when purchasing the coilovers? Reading that adjustable droplinks seem important- anything else?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 09:49 AM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

I won't touch on the positives/negatives of each kit (I'm sure you have seen the recent posts on them) but will address the other questions. Depending on the kit you go with you need to make sure you have the mounts, springs, and possibly end links covered. Some kits will have all these (if they are needed) and others will be separate. The MPS in particular will have all that you need as they use the stock mounts and end links. Springs already in the kit as well. Camber plates are not included but can be sourced separately if you desire more camber. On a kit like the MPS this is the common setup (our Nitron Road Sport kit is the same way where it mounts up to the stock bits but we also have the option to add camber plates for those that want more alignment options). As you move up to more "performance" oriented kits they may or may not included everything you need so just need to make sure when you are researching what all they include. For instance MCS in my experience you usually piece together a bit - but if you work with a good vendor on them they will typically make sure you have everything you need. Our Nitron kits on the other hand are turn key - they included the camber plates, springs, and the adjustable end links that you need. Not saying this is better or worse - just is what it is

One thing would consider no matter which kit you get is to run a sleeve over the coilovers during the winter. They are readily available and do make a big difference keeping all the crap off of them. Adjustable end links are important if they new kit has a different mounting location. Again some do and some don't. Also if you have an aftermarket sway bar in the mix then that can change as well.
Appreciate 0