BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Going Coilover Crazy

04-05-2024, 01:15 PM   #1
DD07
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking

Question Going Coilover Crazy

Trying to decide on coilover setup on a 2018 M2 and have been researching but still unclear. I probably have missed some useful threads but after many days of screen time to this one topic, I’m caving.

Context: it is a year round daily driver in the north east, want the car to be lower to fix the fitment (I will be using spacers and eventually getting new wheels with proper offset), while also improving comfort over pothole ridden roads. I assume alongside prioritizing comfort, there will still be a general performance/handling/fun and steering feel improvement over OEM. Want to retain stock top mounts for noise reduction.
  1. KWV3 can be adjusted to a lower ride height than MPS. Does this mean, at equivalent lower ride heights, the KWV3 would have more compression length and therefore FEEL better than MPS? Would it NOT hit the bumps as soon?

2. I’m trying to balance performance with reliability/rebuilds. I would go AST 5100 with inverted monotube design but it seems they aren’t winter friendly (a few reports of not lasting one winter) and need rebuilds 20-40% sooner than KW (which are lifetime rebuild warranty). In 2024, can this be confirmed about AST?

3. KW are known for winter/salt/corrosion resistance, are other suspensions options (M Performance, AST 5100, Ohlins, Bilstein), better or worse or the same these days?

4. It seems to be thought BMW would’ve spent more time tailoring KWV2/3s for their MPS and thinking about cabin comfort, NVH, vibrations and their own warranty (with spring rates, rubber parts, etc) vs KW spending less time/care. Is there any tangible evidence or user reports that can confirm MPS has these comfort qualities over other options at LOWER ride heights like 595/600 or 590/595?

5. I love the idea of easy customizing of Bilstein B16 with the twist of a knob front and rear, but nobody seems to mention them?

Any help very appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:40 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD07 View Post
Trying to decide on coilover setup on a 2018 M2 and have been researching but still unclear. I probably have missed some useful threads but after many days of screen time to this one topic, I’m caving.

Context: it is a year round daily driver in the north east, want the car to be lower to fix the fitment (I will be using spacers and eventually getting new wheels with proper offset), while also improving comfort over pothole ridden roads. I assume alongside prioritizing comfort, there will still be a general performance/handling/fun and steering feel improvement over OEM. Want to retain stock top mounts for noise reduction.
  1. KWV3 can be adjusted to a lower ride height than MPS. Does this mean, at equivalent lower ride heights, the KWV3 would have more compression length and therefore FEEL better than MPS? Would it NOT hit the bumps as soon?

2. I’m trying to balance performance with reliability/rebuilds. I would go AST 5100 with inverted monotube design but it seems they aren’t winter friendly (a few reports of not lasting one winter) and need rebuilds 20-40% sooner than KW (which are lifetime rebuild warranty). In 2024, can this be confirmed about AST?

3. KW are known for winter/salt/corrosion resistance, are other suspensions options (M Performance, AST 5100, Ohlins, Bilstein), better or worse or the same these days?

4. It seems to be thought BMW would’ve spent more time tailoring KWV2/3s for their MPS and thinking about cabin comfort, NVH, vibrations and their own warranty (with spring rates, rubber parts, etc) vs KW spending less time/care. Is there any tangible evidence or user reports that can confirm MPS has these comfort qualities over other options at LOWER ride heights like 595/600 or 590/595?

5. I love the idea of easy customizing of Bilstein B16 with the twist of a knob front and rear, but nobody seems to mention them?

Any help very appreciated.
You're going to drive yourself nuts. lol I've been there, trust me.

The KWV3 rates are higher than the MPS, and they have shorter stops, which is why they can go lower. And no, they aren't as comfortable on the street.

Keep in mind that the MPS is recommended to be set at 595/600, but will go 590/595 if you remove the rear adjuster, I've done it with no consequences whatsoever.

595/600 looks ok, but 590/595 looks better to my eye, and yes, I can tell the difference. Very few people go lower than 590/595. Like almost no one.

Nothing wrong with Bilstein, BC Racing, Nitron, etc, but in the BMW community you're going to find MPS as the preferred street suspension, and KW or Ohlins as the preferred race solution...and without a reason to change, that's pretty much how it'll stay.

I cannot find any reason to pay more than the $2480 price for the MPS for a street/canyon driven car.

Once more, with feeling. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 04:43 AM   #3
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

MPS, Bilstein or KW are likely the best options for you, in that order. The northeast corrosion is no joke if you drive in the winter and you want something that will last. MPS is a heavily preferred system on here due to price/availability and some who even got them installed when car was new. Bilstein is an excellent choice that I went with as I have a bias. I ran V3s on my 1M and PSS10s on my M2. I actually quite liked the V3s and would have bought them again but I just feel pricing was getting too high and at that point I'd just go for Ohlins which starts to step into another category.

The warranty of Bilstein/KW is worth something for sure if you plan on keeping long term. But what I've found in the past few years is that PSS10 inventory is not great, often out of stock across numerous platforms and can take forever to get.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 05:27 AM   #4
ozmartini
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

I'm literally looking for the same thing. Was about to pull the trigger on the AST 5100's until I heard about winter reliability. Here in Chicago would be a big problem- is that really true that those coilovers are unreliable?

Also, is MPS known to be less harsh than stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 08:34 PM   #5
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Bilstein pss10 are built to last, easy adjustment and do not require frequent rebuilding intervals like the most expensive setup

I would choose bilstein for your car… if you can find them in stock somewhere
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2298.50
      04-09-2024, 01:36 PM   #6
Mahduece
Rep
Drives: M2C

I’m on ohlins and happy with them. That said I’m a huge ohlins fan and run them on all my bikes (dh/enduro). Ohlins is a premium product, but What sold me on them the most is customer service. I can call them and easily get a human on the phone that will talk to me about any needs, setup, maintenance, custom tuning, etc.

I’m sure the other big named coilovers are good too, but consider adding these to your list. Give them a call and have a chat.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 04:07 PM   #7
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

If you are concerned about ride quality, go with the MPS. If are okay with a firmer ride KW V3 is the next one up. Ohlins R&T if you are looking for a dual purpose setup.

Ohlins might be coming out with something that falls between their Road & Track and TTX. 2 way with springs and top mounts.

PM is you are looking for quotes.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 12:16 AM   #8
ozmartini
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

Does anyone have any input on the AST 5100's? Mostly regarding ride quality and reliability. Leaning more towards MPS now given that it's cheaper and most of what I've read on this forum say that it really improves the ride...but I do wonder what you're getting for your money spending a grand more for AST's.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:20 AM   #9
DD07
Registered
Rep

Thank you for all of your replies. Right now I'm leaning MPS.

Price difference isn't an issue and while I like the rebuild warranty from KW, I'd rather have the ride comfort from MPS. I really like stiff setups on a weekend ride but not on a daily and not on these TERRIBLE roads.

The last thing I want clarification on (and keep in mind I'm a newbie here): at 590/595mm ride height, is there a chance that KWV3 is more comfortable due to it's greater range than MPS at 590/595mm with rear adjuster removed?

Once I get this sorted, it's time to figure out what size spacers I need at a low ride height for the OEM 437M for flush fitment which will become the winter setup, and then buy new summer wheels with flush fitment and no spacers.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:56 AM   #10
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
The last thing I want clarification on (and keep in mind I'm a newbie here): at 590/595mm ride height, is there a chance that KWV3 is more comfortable due to it's greater range than MPS at 590/595mm with rear adjuster removed?
I can't see how the KWV3 would be more comfortable in any situation if the settings are the same, and it's because the spring rate is higher than the MPS. You will not have an issue with travel at 590/595 with the MPS unless you're really hitting big bumps and dips hard or carrying passengers, and then you still may not. I have yet to have an issue and I'm a tiny bit lower than that.

Don't forget I have an MPS for sale with less than 1K on it, if you go that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 01:26 PM   #11
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

DD07 I can throw another wrinkle in finally - Nitron has their Roadsport kits available now. Been in the works for awhile - first got to see them at SEMA and now they are in full production ready to go. They share a damper with the R1 kits but utilize the oem top mount (no camber plates required unless you want to add them). Spring rates are 63 N/mm (~360lbs) front and 90 N/mm (~510lbs) rear. Dampening is such to prioritize comfort while still giving a solid bump in performance. Single dial adjustment (controls both reb & comp), large adjustment range, excellent build quality & durability. Just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:52 PM   #12
Sequence_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
DD07 I can throw another wrinkle in finally - Nitron has their Roadsport kits available now. Been in the works for awhile - first got to see them at SEMA and now they are in full production ready to go. They share a damper with the R1 kits but utilize the oem top mount (no camber plates required unless you want to add them). Spring rates are 63 N/mm (~360lbs) front and 90 N/mm (~510lbs) rear. Dampening is such to prioritize comfort while still giving a solid bump in performance. Single dial adjustment (controls both reb & comp), large adjustment range, excellent build quality & durability. Just FYI.
Have they listed these anywhere? struggling to find any info on them for the m2c
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:37 PM   #13
DD07
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I can't see how the KWV3 would be more comfortable in any situation if the settings are the same, and it's because the spring rate is higher than the MPS. You will not have an issue with travel at 590/595 with the MPS unless you're really hitting big bumps and dips hard or carrying passengers, and then you still may not. I have yet to have an issue and I'm a tiny bit lower than that.

Don't forget I have an MPS for sale with less than 1K on it, if you go that way.
It'll be carrying two adults + two children most of the time, and definitely some big bumps even on higher speed roads. It's a pity but it's reality.

Is there more travel length on the KW vs MPS hitting big bumps while at 590/595 or is every coilover for the F87 M2 the same length?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 09:46 PM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
It'll be carrying two adults + two children most of the time, and definitely some big bumps even on higher speed roads. It's a pity but it's reality.

Is there more travel length on the KW vs MPS hitting big bumps while at 590/595 or is every coilover for the F87 M2 the same length?
I don't think you're a good candidate for 590/595, more like BMW's recommended 595/600.

I can't say the exact travel length, but given the fact that you'll be carrying weight all the time I still suggest the MPS at 595/600. Maybe 600/605.
Appreciate 0