BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What am I Missing? Why used M2s available?

03-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
What am I Missing? Why used M2s available?

Why am I starting to see used M2s with just a few thousand miles (like 4-6k) becoming available after just a year of ownership? Are people upgrading to something else? Is there something wrong with them? With all the praise heaped on the M2, I'm kind of surprised so many are available used. I am still looking for the right one so it might be an opportunity for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I suspect you are simply seeing the normal build-up in the used market. I took delivery of my M 15 months ago and was far from the first in the country. The car has been out for a good long time. People get itchy for the next best thing, people have life changing circumstances like babies or loss of a job. I'm not sure how many M2s have been sold in the US to date or how many are on the used market, but I'd be surprised if it was more than any other car that's been out there for 2 years.

I just did a quick search on cars.com for the Porsche 718 Caymen and the M2; both launched in 2016.

97 718s nation wide
84 M2s nation wide

Pretty similar

Anyone know how the production numbers compare between the two?
Appreciate 4
AndrewC198910931.00
Ian ///M491.00
1M Tex240.00
      03-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay thanks. Was worried there was some issue people aren't openly discussing. Still love my 135is, but waiting for the right M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Why am I starting to see used M2s with just a few thousand miles (like 4-6k) becoming available after just a year of ownership? Are people upgrading to something else? Is there something wrong with them? With all the praise heaped on the M2, I'm kind of surprised so many are available used. I am still looking for the right one so it might be an opportunity for me.
The M2 is a fantastic car, people are likely selling for a variety of reasons (changing needs, etc.) or simply want to upgrade to a newer version of the M2 or even a different car.

For what it's worth, I came from a 135is. As much as I love my M2, and the incremental improvements it offers in performance and handling (and LSD!), I often conclude that I would have been better off just to keep the 135is and spend the extra money on something else.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
97 718s nation wide
84 M2s nation wide

Pretty similar

Anyone know how the production numbers compare between the two?
In the whole US just 84? Thats nothing.

For comparison (maybe not 100% accurate but still):
There are 45 here in Poland in a 38 mil country.
Germany have 470 M2s listed in 82 mil country.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I've noticed this as well, but there still are not a lot compared to other cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I don't think it's abnormal to a few of these cars going on sale. Life throws unforeseen circumstances at some people and others might have the means to upgrade to something better. Also, with the new s55 M2 right around the corner it makes sense that some of the current n55 owners want to sell for max value now, and then upgrade when the new one's released.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Traded-in for the lovely 4 door M3 bitches.

Not everybody likes the rock hard ride.. I personally love it!
Appreciate 3
Aronis2273.00
dmboone254972.00
dharo1215.00
      03-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
Shinobi_Dave
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

After buying mine, I noticed it too. Seems to me like a normal settling out of the market. I think you'll always have a significant population who likes to get the next new hot car every couple years. I'm keeping mine!
Appreciate 1
JYTsky93.00
      03-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
The M2 is a fantastic car, people are likely selling for a variety of reasons (changing needs, etc.) or simply want to upgrade to a newer version of the M2 or even a different car.

For what it's worth, I came from a 135is. As much as I love my M2, and the incremental improvements it offers in performance and handling (and LSD!), I often conclude that I would have been better off just to keep the 135is and spend the extra money on something else.
This has been my concern. I have the Dinan S2 tune which gives me close to the same HP and a little more torque than an M2 with a very similar motor. I do think the M2 handles and looks better. But there is something alluring about my 135is in that it’s high performing but basic. It’s hard to explain but you get it once you drive it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #11
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

There are also a significant number of people who have the means to buy a new car every year, and do, "just because it's time."
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      03-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Dblaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
This has been my concern. I have the Dinan S2 tune which gives me close to the same HP and a little more torque than an M2 with a very similar motor. I do think the M2 handles and looks better. But there is something alluring about my 135is in that it’s high performing but basic. It’s hard to explain but you get it once you drive it.
I had a dinan s2 on my 2012 135i (with the m package, etc.). The M2 is just a better car in so many ways. The handling alone just isn't comparable.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my 135i and it's a great car. The M2 is just unreal.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

I think the car was too hyped personally. Most of the endless praise comes from car reviewers that don't actually own or will own the car. So for a snapshot in time which is a car review it is gods chariot.

Having owned the car for over a year and it being the first BMW I have actually owned I can understand being less than thrilled over the car and have even myself contemplated selling it for something else as it is just missing "something" compared to older BMW I have driven.

Now I am spoiled because everything I shop I have to compare to my Lotus and then realize nothing will come close to the "Feel" that car gives me. But I do feel with this current generation of BMW (M2 included) they have lost some part of their soul. Some models way more than others but something is missing for me so I get it.

With that said, I am sure most of the cars for sale are not due to issues or disappointment I think some of the reasons above make the most sense. People wanting the S55 model, situations changing, moving on to bigger/better things, that new car itch... There are a bunch on the market but it is not a huge sell off, supply has just caught up with demand.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11462.50
Dav3948.50
      03-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #14
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrunner View Post
I think the car was too hyped personally. Most of the endless praise comes from car reviewers that don't actually own or will own the car. So for a snapshot in time which is a car review it is gods chariot.

Having owned the car for over a year and it being the first BMW I have actually owned I can understand being less than thrilled over the car and have even myself contemplated selling it for something else as it is just missing "something" compared to older BMW I have driven.

Now I am spoiled because everything I shop I have to compare to my Lotus and then realize nothing will come close to the "Feel" that car gives me. But I do feel with this current generation of BMW (M2 included) they have lost some part of their soul. Some models way more than others but something is missing for me so I get it.

With that said, I am sure most of the cars for sale are not due to issues or disappointment I think some of the reasons above make the most sense. People wanting the S55 model, situations changing, moving on to bigger/better things, that new car itch... There are a bunch on the market but it is not a huge sell off, supply has just caught up with demand.
Good point about most car reviewers not only test driving the cars for a few days, if that. A long term review would be more telling. Although overall the M2 used market is no different than others. I think part of the reason there may be a lot of them, compared to production numbers, is that many are asking nearly new car prices for 2 year old cars. They are dreaming and thus the cars don't sell. Yes, the resale on the M2 is way above average, but with that many to chose from, the prices are too high.

Your comments make me second guess my decision to get a M2. I just a week ago put a deposit on a 2019 (Comp Pkg). It's not a done deal, but I am planing on selling my pristine lowish mile e46 M3 and get the M2 instead. I'm wondering if I will regret it?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #15
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:

That's a really good point and I think you are on to something. Being around a bunch of excited auto journalists and BMW employees at a press event, it could be easy to get swept up in the hype. It's very different than living with the vehicle and experiencing it in all manner of real world scenarios.

I was finding the car a little sterile and soulless as well. it's also my first BMW so I really wasn't sure what to expect. As soon as I put my catted DP on I was like "Ah, OK, there's the soul I've been missing!"
Appreciate 2
norMcal284.50
      03-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #16
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
Good point about most car reviewers not only test driving the cars for a few days, if that. A long term review would be more telling. Although overall the M2 used market is no different than others. I think part of the reason there may be a lot of them, compared to production numbers, is that many are asking nearly new car prices for 2 year old cars. They are dreaming and thus the cars don't sell. Yes, the resale on the M2 is way above average, but with that many to chose from, the prices are too high.

Your comments make me second guess my decision to get a M2. I just a week ago put a deposit on a 2019 (Comp Pkg). It's not a done deal, but I am planing on selling my pristine lowish mile e46 M3 and get the M2 instead. I'm wondering if I will regret it?
Do the classic Pros vs. Cons list for your e46. The ask yourself if the M2 will answer the "cons" or fall short on the "Pros" you have jotted down for the e46.

To help you get started, what are the top 5 things you hate about your e46 and what are the top 5 things you love?
Appreciate 2
norMcal284.50
      03-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Whew, I thought it was because the sky was falling
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #18
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Traded-in for the lovely 4 door M3 bitches.

Not everybody likes the rock hard ride.. I personally love it!
On a side note, my mom thought the M2 rode better than the F80 ZCP - I guess it's all relative, right?

I love how both ride.
      03-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #19
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
In the whole US just 84? Thats nothing.

For comparison (maybe not 100% accurate but still):
There are 45 here in Poland in a 38 mil country.
Germany have 470 M2s listed in 82 mil country.
Found that strange too, there's about 80 for sale in Canada, 32 mil country.

Crazy, 470 in Germany?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #20
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post

YMMV, no way to tell if you will regret it or not I think you will find lots of people that are 110% satisfied with this car. Just like any car community you will find the blind fanboi, the objective owners and detractors.

I have driven e46 M3 and it is my favorite exterior/interior designed M car. The engine, although down on power, is perfect for the street. I think you will find the M2 fits the bill nicely in comparison but I would do my best to own BOTH if you can I don't think I could give up an e46 if I had bought one.

I think the Comp package car may be the one worth waiting for as it probably addresses some of the shortcomings of the initial offering which feels now more like an experiment I am going to wait and see on this one I am curious about the options/price points.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #21
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a really good point and I think you are on to something. Being around a bunch of excited auto journalists and BMW employees at a press event, it could be easy to get swept up in the hype. It's very different than living with the vehicle and experiencing it in all manner of real world scenarios.

I was finding the car a little sterile and soulless as well. it's also my first BMW so I really wasn't sure what to expect. As soon as I put my catted DP on I was like "Ah, OK, there's the soul I've been missing!"
I think as I stated in another thread, the sound of the engine with stock exhaust was a bit of a letdown to me. Glad to know that there are exhausts/DP changes that can really open up some of the noises the car is capable of making. Now if only we could get rid of electric steering racks!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50
      03-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #22
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Do the classic Pros vs. Cons list for your e46. The ask yourself if the M2 will answer the "cons" or fall short on the "Pros" you have jotted down for the e46.

To help you get started, what are the top 5 things you hate about your e46 and what are the top 5 things you love?
Top 5 dislikes on e46 M3:
  1. It's not fun unless you drive it the way it's meant to be driven. In other words, it takes effort to drive it smooth when driving it "normal".
  2. It lacks serious low end torque by today's standard
  3. At 14 years old one does worry about reliability, no matter how pristine the condition.
  4. Running out of things to do to improve it to my liking
  5. Having to smog it every two years

Top 5 likes on e46 M3:
  1. N/A engine, 8k redline, throttle response etc and close to the perfect car when you do wind it out.
  2. Looks! Absolutely love it. Timeless beauty. IMO it will age as well or better than the 3.0 CSL and the original 6-series
  3. Hydraulic steering and feel in general.
  4. Can still do some work to it myself and has a dipstick ;-)
  5. Value retention, if I don't overdue it with pilling on the miles

My biggest hope with making the switch to an M2 would be to get more use out of it. The problem with my e46 M3 is that while it checks many of the boxes, I have it set up as a HPDE car, but at the same time it is also somewhat of a garage queen. Therefor it is even less suited for DD, which it ins't great at to begin with. Not that I wanted it for that, but I feel the need for a car that I can drive more than just twice a month, between my half dozen track days per year. My hope would be that the M2 would be a better compromise for a second (track car) that is still suited for more daily driving, while it would not be my every day car. Does that make sense?

Quote:
YMMV, no way to tell if you will regret it or not I think you will find lots of people that are 110% satisfied with this car. Just like any car community you will find the blind fanboi, the objective owners and detractors.

I have driven e46 M3 and it is my favorite exterior/interior designed M car. The engine, although down on power, is perfect for the street. I think you will find the M2 fits the bill nicely in comparison but I would do my best to own BOTH if you can I don't think I could give up an e46 if I had bought one.

I think the Comp package car may be the one worth waiting for as it probably addresses some of the shortcomings of the initial offering which feels now more like an experiment I am going to wait and see on this one I am curious about the options/price points.
I agree, keeping both would be the perfect scenario, but the proceeds from it unfortunately would pay for more than half of the M2 and will be needed.
Appreciate 0