BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > MPact 24' HPDE 1 tips/advice

03-17-2024, 12:36 AM   #1
Harry_11K
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 N55

Is anyone going to HPDE this year at pocono raceway?

Some tips would be appreciated for my first time at HPDE 1 level. I was thinking new michlin PS4’s, hawk pads all around, and motul 660 brake fluid.

Suggestions would be great as its my first time and I’d like to be prepared.

Thanks all!

P.S. currently running BM3 stage 2+ on dorch DS2. Thinking about going backwards to stage 1 or 2 for a little less power to really get the hang of track driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 01:43 AM   #2
F87M2
Registered
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I will also be there. Also my first HPDE.

Sub'd for any advice
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 08:14 AM   #3
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

In the context of it being your first time, your plan sounds good and I would get the power to as close to stock as possible. This event will be about having fun and learning the car, the track, and yourself. You're years away from needing more power to progress your skills

What Hawk compound?
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 11:02 AM   #4
Harry_11K
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post
In the context of it being your first time, your plan sounds good and I would get the power to as close to stock as possible. This event will be about having fun and learning the car, the track, and yourself. You're years away from needing more power to progress your skills

What Hawk compound?
Awesome. I was thinking Hawk HPS 5.0
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 02:32 PM   #5
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_11K View Post
Awesome. I was thinking Hawk HPS 5.0
That should be perfectly fine for your first season. Once you gain more experience and can drive the car harder, you must upgrade to a proper track compound on at least the front brakes. When your skills outpace your brakes, you will notice rapid brake pad wear. You might go through a set of front pads in 2-3 track days.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:05 PM   #6
BigJsmall2c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2c

You'll probably be HPDE 1 only and riding around with all the other newbs. Usually not going to be passing or running out too hard. Pads/fluid good. Learning the basics on street tires is best. Experience the limits. Learn to listen and feel what the tires are telling you. It will only make you better.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:56 PM   #7
Harry_11K
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJsmall2c View Post
You'll probably be HPDE 1 only and riding around with all the other newbs. Usually not going to be passing or running out too hard. Pads/fluid good. Learning the basics on street tires is best. Experience the limits. Learn to listen and feel what the tires are telling you. It will only make you better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post
That should be perfectly fine for your first season. Once you gain more experience and can drive the car harder, you must upgrade to a proper track compound on at least the front brakes. When your skills outpace your brakes, you will notice rapid brake pad wear. You might go through a set of front pads in 2-3 track days.
Great advice both. However a question, I’m on PS4’s showing slight dry rot on the outer edges. Would it pass tech or most likely not?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 11:30 PM   #8
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

First event - basically the goals for the event should be developing your comfort level and awareness of everything that is going on. Make sure you can spot every flag every time around. Make sure you know where any and all cars are around you at all times. Don't worry about pace - it's not a race and there is no award for winning the HDPE cup. Relax, get comfortable, and work on building your awareness level. Once you are comfortable with your surroundings the learning curve can start to take off. Head on a swivel - do not get tunnel vision and/or start to drive out of your mirrors. If someone catches you give them the point by when appropriate and keep on doing your thing.

Brakes - keep in mind that using DSC and tripping it frequently can add quite a bit to the brakes (including the fronts). If you are not going to go with a dedicated track pad absolutely keep a close watch on the braking system (including pedal pressure, stopping distance, etc). Should always be doing this but just something to remind yourself during the event.

Tires - PS4's are an excellent learning tire but even if tech passes tires showing dry rot I'm not sure I would still want to run them on the track...

When I first read the thread title I though maybe the Mpact event at COTA. If so was going to tell you that you were more than welcome to take a ride along with me if so (we are sponsoring the Track X event they are having there). If they allow passengers at the Pocono event then you might try to catch a ride with someone with experience if you haven't been shotgun on the track before (and preferably in an M2). This can really open your eyes on what the cars are capable of. Doesn't mean to go try to match that immediately but can give you an idea of how capable these cars are.

And most importantly - do not forget to have fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 11:35 PM   #9
Harry_11K
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
First event - basically the goals for the event should be developing your comfort level and awareness of everything that is going on. Make sure you can spot every flag every time around. Make sure you know where any and all cars are around you at all times. Don't worry about pace - it's not a race and there is no award for winning the HDPE cup. Relax, get comfortable, and work on building your awareness level. Once you are comfortable with your surroundings the learning curve can start to take off. Head on a swivel - do not get tunnel vision and/or start to drive out of your mirrors. If someone catches you give them the point by when appropriate and keep on doing your thing.

Brakes - keep in mind that using DSC and tripping it frequently can add quite a bit to the brakes (including the fronts). If you are not going to go with a dedicated track pad absolutely keep a close watch on the braking system (including pedal pressure, stopping distance, etc). Should always be doing this but just something to remind yourself during the event.

Tires - PS4's are an excellent learning tire but even if tech passes tires showing dry rot I'm not sure I would still want to run them on the track...

When I first read the thread title I though maybe the Mpact event at COTA. If so was going to tell you that you were more than welcome to take a ride along with me if so (we are sponsoring the Track X event they are having there). If they allow passengers at the Pocono event then you might try to catch a ride with someone with experience if you haven't been shotgun on the [...]
Awesome! Appreciate advice man! Yep I’ll definitely be doing new set of tires soon on second thought lol. Forgot MPact expanded but will hopefully find someone for a ride along.
Thanks everyone, excited for my first time!
Appreciate 0