BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Looking for brake options for 18 wheels

10-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #1
Atam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Looking for brake options for 18 wheels

Hey y'all, I have an m2c with the BBK and would like to go with something smaller so I can fit 18s.

I've heard good things about AP brake kit and even some swapping to the blue brakes, but I'd like to know some other good options that don't leave brake dust but has good braking power. Although I don't believe I need the full braking power of the BBK it's always nice to know that the brakes have the ability.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 08:19 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Dust is dependent on the pads. You can get low dusting pads for pretty much any BBK.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4692.50
Atam47.00
      10-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

The APs are an excellent kit for sure. The typical setup with them is either the Ferodo 3.12 or 1.11 pad for track use and the 2500 for street. This is an excellent setup and what we sell on almost all of the AP Racing purchases through our shop. The 2500 is a solid street choice and can even be lightly tracked (so you would have a hard time fading it on the street). It does produce some dust though - as most of your higher performing pads will. There are a few options for lower dust like FaRKle! mentioned - the Carbotech 1521 being one of them. Not going to have the same level of performance of the Ferodo 2500 but the dust will be less. Also as far as stopping power - you are not going to see much of a difference (if any) between them. They are both more than strong enough to out brake street tires enabling the ABS. Fade resistance is where the 2500 will outperform the 1521 - but if that is needed for your street driving manners that is an individual call. Hawk has the ceramic pad shape available to fit the AP fronts as well - another low dust option.
Appreciate 2
Atam47.00
FaRKle!4016.00
      10-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
If we're talking about Essex/AP in particular, there are plenty of good low dust compounds for the front 9660/9668 calipers (like EBC redstuff), but their rear 9449/9451 calipers really only have the Carbotech 1521 or GLOC GS1 so you're really limited in options if you want a matching F/R set.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
OG Shark4692.50
      10-17-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
DLEFTY
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW M2C

Essex / AP front kit, or the Alcon front kit seem to be the two, decide from those. I personally believe the “blue brake” swap is a waste, better sticking with the M2C 2NH brakes…..there really are some good 19” option out there in 245&265 or 255&275 stagger sizes…..and FaRKle has shown 20mm of stagger to move pretty good!
Michelin PSC2
Nankang
RE-71RS
Falken RT660
Pirelli slicks
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 11:30 AM   #6
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atam View Post
Hey y'all, I have an m2c with the BBK and would like to go with something smaller so I can fit 18s.

I've heard good things about AP brake kit and even some swapping to the blue brakes, but I'd like to know some other good options that don't leave brake dust but has good braking power. Although I don't believe I need the full braking power of the BBK it's always nice to know that the brakes have the ability.
You certainly will have more low dust brake pad options with an AP BBK, but typically the low dust pads just don't offer the same braking power as standard pads.

The blue caliper brakes should be the very last option. That said, this brake is perfectly fine for street duty and pad selections are vast and less expensive.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us for an AP BBK quote or low dust pads for your existing brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atam View Post

You certainly will have more low dust brake pad options with an AP BBK, but typically the low dust pads just don't offer the same braking power as standard pads.

The blue caliper brakes should be the very last option. That said, this brake is perfectly fine for street duty and pad selections are vast and less expensive.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us for an AP BBK quote or low dust pads for your existing brakes.
Appreciate 0