06-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #155
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Perhaps he just didn't realise his car had Continentals....
Ouch!
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1937.50
      06-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #156
LBBF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Magic School Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Age certainly plays a factor in this. People that are saying age has nothing to do this are pretty naive. The probability of showing off your brand new sports car (that your parents paid for) increases significantly with someone being a young male. Why insurance rates sky rocket when you are 18-26 years old with a fast car?

I have a 5-year-old son and he is getting a used 5-10-year-old Honda Civic as his first car when he goes to college regardless of how wealthy or poor I am. My parents did the same to me. They purchased my first car for me, a $2500 manual 5 speed 1986 Audi 5000 and I really liked it. After that, I purchased all my cars myself without my parents help.

Of course, there are a lot of responsible young males out there but the probability and statistics are not in their favor.
We would all obviously parent our kids slightly differently and this is certainly not an attack on your parenting but to me, this doesn't make sense.

Why put your son in a car that comparably is less safe in the event of an accident. There's no way a 10 year old civic will withstand an accident as well as a "modern" car.

I would imagine if you taught your child to respect driving, and the road, all while laying out severe enough consequences if they choose not to you would mitigate the chances of them being stupid and irresponsible. All while increasing the chances they survive a major accident in a more modern and safe car.

Then all you have to worry about is the rest of the world. The ones who are texting, smoking, doing their makeup, or even reading while driving. Regardless of how good of a driver you are, you can't always protect yourself from other idiots. This is where the car comes in. An old civic will not be able to withstand an accident like a modern 3 series would be able to.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #157
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBF87 View Post
Quote:
Age certainly plays a factor in this. People that are saying age has nothing to do this are pretty naive. The probability of showing off your brand new sports car (that your parents paid for) increases significantly with someone being a young male. Why insurance rates sky rocket when you are 18-26 years old with a fast car?

I have a 5-year-old son and he is getting a used 5-10-year-old Honda Civic as his first car when he goes to college regardless of how wealthy or poor I am. My parents did the same to me. They purchased my first car for me, a $2500 manual 5 speed 1986 Audi 5000 and I really liked it. After that, I purchased all my cars myself without my parents help.

Of course, there are a lot of responsible young males out there but the probability and statistics are not in their favor.
We would all obviously parent our kids slightly differently and this is certainly not an attack on your parenting but to me, this doesn't make sense.

Why put your son in a car that comparably is less safe in the event of an accident. There's no way a 10 year old civic will withstand an accident as well as a "modern" car.

I would imagine if you taught your child to respect driving, and the road, all while laying out severe enough consequences if they choose not to you would mitigate the chances of them being stupid and irresponsible. All while increasing the chances they survive a major accident in a more modern and safe car.

Then all you have to worry about is the rest of the world. The ones who are texting, smoking, doing their makeup, or even reading while driving. Regardless of how good of a driver you are, you can't always protect yourself from other idiots. This is where the car comes in. An old civic will not be able to withstand an accident like a modern 3 series would be able to.
Write the check !

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #158
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
no coffee yet but you are joking, right?
Come on, you had to ask that??????:happya nim:

Mike

Yes, joking.

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #159
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

its not the car. its not like a few HP made this happen. i tend to believe people that do this stuff would do it in whatever they are driving. Its not like he was driving a 1000 hp build vehicle. m2 is pretty tame and has the tech to keep you safe if you are at all responsible. he would have wrecked a civic or lambo...result was inevitable when you approach the responsibility of driving like he did.

obviously age matters, but its more about life experiences that teach you how to act and the age is relevant because you have more life experiences with age. it just happens that his first set of consequences are severe.
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1937.50
      06-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #160
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

365 hp sports car is very different than a 100 hp Corolla... Had I owned an M2 when I was 20, I doubt I'd be alive right now. No way will my kids be driving anything more than 200 HP. Then again, in 6 years, everything will probably be electric and self-driven.
Appreciate 4
ried791.50
ORIGIN M.3160.50
taibanl280.50
      06-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #161
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Then again, in 6 years, everything will probably be electric and self-driven.
Shame on you for thinking such a thing.

I'm sure all autonomous cars will be perfectly programmed and able to handle an out-of-control M2 approaching sideways at 100+ mph around a blind curve.
Appreciate 2
AndyinHou479.00
3Si216.50
      06-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #162
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Nah. that car's nothing special safety wise. its chassis is actually kind of bendy compared to today's cars. to tesla's credit, the design is old af and it's one of their first cars. good but not great.

the 2 series is actually the more impressive/stiffer chassis.

this is my wheelhouse.

i could go on forever on excruciating specifics.
I am not gonna start an endless argument but you're wrong by saying it's nothing special safety wise. Its chassis is INCREDIBLE stiff and it got the best safety rating of any car ever tested. Just a few weeks ago the Model X got rated the safest SUV on the market. But go on, keep on going with your hater comments

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      06-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #163
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
I am not gonna start an endless argument but you're wrong by saying it's nothing special safety wise. Its chassis is INCREDIBLE stiff and it got the best safety rating of any car ever tested. Just a few weeks ago the Model X got rated the safest SUV on the market. But go on, keep on going with your hater comments
But Tesla is electric WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #164
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
Nah. that car's nothing special safety wise. its chassis is actually kind of bendy compared to today's cars. to tesla's credit, the design is old af and it's one of their first cars. good but not great.
A friend has a Tesla Model S I've ridden in a few times. If one wanted to ding it on something, safety and chassis would not be problems with it. (Body design is a matter of taste).

However, you will never track it (or if you do it will keep overheating) and it isn't going to be as dynamic in the turns since you have a lot of weight low in the chassis with 1200lbs of battery there. He's a super Tesla fan and even he said it handles a bit like a boat. Even if it's not my thing, I have to say it's a great car. Two other people I work with have Model S's and two others have Model X's.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #165
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Quote:
Then again, in 6 years, everything will probably be electric and self-driven.
Shame on you for thinking such a thing.

I'm sure all autonomous cars will be perfectly programmed and able to handle an out-of-control M2 approaching sideways at 100+ mph around a blind curve.
Yup. Just ask Tesla...
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1195.00
      06-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #166
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Basically this crazy sucker flew into the woods so fast by the time he saw the silver car he overreacted loosing control hitting soft-shoulder turning the car on it's side hitting the trees hood-first sliding to a stop further down the road.

The silver car seeing it first hand is truly blessed not to be killed.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2017, 12:46 AM   #167
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
Quote:
A friend has a Tesla Model S I've ridden in a few times. If one wanted to ding it on something, safety and chassis would not be problems with it. (Body design is a matter of taste).

However, you will never track it (or if you do it will keep overheating) and it isn't going to be as dynamic in the turns since you have a lot of weight low in the chassis with 1200lbs of battery there. He's a super Tesla fan and even he said it handles a bit like a boat. Even if it's not my thing, I have to say it's a great car. Two other people I work with have Model S's and two others have Model X's.
4,500 to 4900 lbs ! Tesla is a disgusting fat pig
      06-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #168
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
Quote:

4,500 to 4900 lbs ! Tesla is a disgusting fat pig
Absolutely but it can kill just about anything in its path long enough to embarrass the shit out of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #169
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

LMAO. A 10 year old civic is not drastically less crashworthy than a late year BMW. You have drunk too much forum cool aid. Additionally, the chance of getting into a wreck where you will need the marginally greater amount if protection is significantly greater if there is more car than a young driver can handle.

Heck-even at all levels of HPDE, the instructors teach ADULTS to learn to master a less powerful car before upgrading. In young ones including young adults the brains risk centers are not fully developed until ~25-26 years of age.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #170
LBBF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Magic School Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

LMAO. A 10 year old civic is not drastically less crashworthy than a late year BMW. You have drunk too much forum cool aid. Additionally, the chance of getting into a wreck where you will need the marginally greater amount if protection is significantly greater if there is more car than a young driver can handle.

Heck-even at all levels of HPDE, the instructors teach ADULTS to learn to master a less powerful car before upgrading. In young ones including young adults the brains risk centers are not fully developed until ~25-26 years of age.
You might have lived under a rock for the past ten years. With the advancements in technology and materials engineering there is absolutely zero chance that a ten year old civic performs even close to a modern civic. In both crash prevention and in crash performance.

Edit: If someone goes looking for trouble (doing 100+) on public roads, it won't matter if they are in a lambo or a civic. They will both hit 100, and it's arguably more dangerous in a civic as in no way are they made for those speeds.

I also did my first HPDE at 18. Started on a E92 M3, did one more and was moved to intermediate. So your ADULTS emphasis isn't really needed. Many CCA instructors I know personally enjoy "KIDS" over ADULTS because they often learn quicker, and follow instruction better. (It's not always the case I'm sure).
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #171
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You might have lived under a rock for the past ten years. With the advancements in technology and materials engineering there is absolutely zero chance that a ten year old civic performs even close to a modern civic. In both crash prevention and in crash performance.
True that
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #172
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Excessive speeds and reckless driving on public roads will eventually end up in disaster, just ask pro driver Roger Rodas and our old boy Paul Walker, didn't work out for them either...

Sad sight .. Glad they are still alive. Sucks, but if you live for speed on public and populated streets you should prepare to die, at any time, and don't take anyone along for the ride, either! Speed kills, take it to the track!

Appreciate 1
      06-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #173
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

For the speed and the impact, the M2 looks to have faired reasonably well but the real proof is in the status of occupants -- does anyone have an update on their condition since medphysdave on 6/14/17?

Crashworthiness has improved significantly in the last 10 years and even greater compared to 20 years ago:
http://www.businessinsider.com/euro-...ears-on-2017-2

Most vehicles had to be reengineered to meet the demanding small offset frontal test added by the IIHS in 2012. Many performed poorly and some were not as good as would have been expected -- i.e. the BMW 3 series -- it did only Marginal on the small offset frontal collision until November 2016:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...eries-2-series

The 2 series has been a Top Safety Pick Plus since 2014!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #174
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
365 hp sports car is very different than a 100 hp Corolla... Had I owned an M2 when I was 20, I doubt I'd be alive right now. No way will my kids be driving anything more than 200 HP. Then again, in 6 years, everything will probably be electric and self-driven.
if you are lucky!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #175
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Write the check !

I'm with @chmura on this.. my daughter is in a 10 year old BMW.. not a 10 year old Honda..
The 10 year old BMW is absolutely a more solid car than a 10 year old Honda and perhaps more crashworthy than a 2017 Honda.

Even if could afford to put her in a 2017 BMW... the new car is so much faster.. and has so much more potential for *faster*... I wouldn't pay for a new vehicle and then watch something like this happen.. (Two high school girls died when their Macan GTS crashed into a tree)

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/colli...eens/420425282

PS.. YES.. my daughter (or someone driving it) crashed her first car.. a 2001 E46 325 convertible.. into a red curb hard enough to cause the side airbag to deploy.
I was absolutely happy that she was in an E46 and not say.. an E90 335 convertible which would be even faster going into the curb..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-17-2017 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #176
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Write the check !

I'm with @chmura on this.. my daughter is in a 10 year old BMW.. not a 10 year old Honda..
The 10 year old BMW is absolutely a more solid car than a 10 year old Honda and perhaps more crashworthy than a 2017 Honda.

Even if could afford to put her in a 2017 BMW... the new car is so much faster.. and has so much more potential for *faster*... I wouldn't pay for a new vehicle and then watch something like this happen.. (Two high school girls died when their Macan GTS crashed into a tree)

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/colli...eens/420425282

PS.. YES.. my daughter (or someone driving it) crashed her first car.. a 2001 E46 325 convertible.. into a red curb hard enough to cause the side airbag to deploy.
I was absolutely happy that she was in an E46 and not say.. an E90 335 convertible which would be even faster going into the curb..
Honda has been turning in really good crash results. The IIHS data for especially the last 5 years shows Honda's ACE body structure has performed very well with many more Top Safety Pick Plus ratings than BMW. Crashworthiness is also dependent on weight and size, which is one reason I don't mind too much that the M2 weighs in around 3500 pounds. Smaller cars don't do as well in matchups because of weight -- one of the reasons I talked myself out of a Certified Preowned i3 (with the M2, not to substitute -- just think the tech is cool). An older matchup test from the IIHS shows the weight difference:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...onomy-policies

I personally went for a Top Safety Pick Plus 2017 Honda Accord for my teenager with the Honda Sensing system that will avoid a 25mph rear end collision.
Appreciate 3