BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 3 Months Review; A Young Person's take.

04-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #89
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
The leather; although the quality is better than domestic stuff man oh man is it an eye sore, and gross feeling too. The plastics; what the hell did they do? My E92 dash was awesome, but this looks atrocious. Thank god it feels alright. The mirrors; how much extra does it cost for them to put the M4 ones on, like really? Adaptive sound or whatever it is; Why cant I go into iDrive and turn the bloody thing off? With a hearing test that proved I have over sensitive ears in a tone distinction manner the noise sounds gross, like listening to an exhaust clip through your iPhone. The engine; its a great engine, but I expect more out of a car like this. Burger tuning has stated that its pretty much maxed out on 91 octane which is a very depressing thought. The ride; it feels artificially stiff. Tone it back a bit or please add EDC next time BMW.
From all of the above their is nothing I can say "yes you are right".... It's true ASD is stupid; that is why I turned it completely off with a bypass harness. All the rest does not bother me at all. I lived with a DCT e92 M3 for one week... I like my manual M2 better on every aspect; smaller and more nimble car, nicer dash (a cosy cockpit instead of a e92 straight dash), nicer gearbox....but the M2 engine feels less special... e92 M3 felt like a muscle car and M2 feels like a sports car.

Personally I think USA M lovers will love the e92 M3 more and European M lovers will go for the M2...if they have to choose between the two. Also; you are forgetting that the M4 is the successor of your M3 and that the M2 is the successor of the 1M...
      04-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #90
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Again I'd like to thank all the people who contributed something more than "lol OP is just young and dumb" or "hah you cant complain about the current M lineup, get out of here and get car X."

After this mess of a rant I'm finally in Stage 5: Acceptance. The more I'd try to get the torque induced, redline'd, stomach bursting with butterflies pull feeling out of the car, it simply wasn't there. And I'll admit I was delusional as I thought heading into a torquey turbo'd car; I believed it would be there. But when I listen, set my mind onto it, forget about the mundane of weekday life, I admit... its special. Yea I have my up and down days with it still, and if i'm stuck in traffic or simply using it to get to point A to B its kind of a track no. 6 on "Sticky Fingers". However, when you focus on the moment, live in the present, feel with two hands; its brilliant.

Also to Mr. "Toronto is the greatest city in the world I've been everywhere don't question it" my team is 1-0 in the 2nd round while yours is on the putting green :^)

Anyways the TL;DR is: I wanted cool M cloth sport bucket seats and I feel weird putting aftermarket ones in a brand new car
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 02:15 AM   #91
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Again I'd like to thank all the people who contributed something more than "lol OP is just young and dumb" or "hah you cant complain about the current M lineup, get out of here and get car X."

After this mess of a rant I'm finally in Stage 5: Acceptance. The more I'd try to get the torque induced, redline'd, stomach bursting with butterflies pull feeling out of the car, it simply wasn't there. And I'll admit I was delusional as I thought heading into a torquey turbo'd car; I believed it would be there. But when I listen, set my mind onto it, forget about the mundane of weekday life, I admit... its special. Yea I have my up and down days with it still, and if i'm stuck in traffic or simply using it to get to point A to B its kind of a track no. 6 on "Sticky Fingers". However, when you focus on the moment, live in the present, feel with two hands; its brilliant.

Also to Mr. "Toronto is the greatest city in the world I've been everywhere don't question it" my team is 1-0 in the 2nd round while yours is on the putting green :^)

Anyways the TL;DR is: I wanted cool M cloth sport bucket seats and I feel weird putting aftermarket ones in a brand new car
Wut
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #92
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG, 2015 F82 M4

Quote:

You want something special, get a Lotus Exige S
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #93
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
Quote:

Wut
Me either.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #94
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Me either.
I'm mad at the "young person" title of this thread-- making us look fickle and dumb all in one swoop.

I can barely understand the OP and im 28 LOL

edit- and yes i reiterated the young and dumb observations
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #95
M5XDRIVE
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, E36 328i

Quote:
This car is sexy, its fast, its a joy to drive hard into corners. Its rare, its eye catching, full of torque; what more could a BMW enthusiast ask for? Well let me tell you. Sacrificing an alarming high percentage of my income, i'm ready to nit pick this car through.

The leather; although the quality is better than domestic stuff man oh man is it an eye sore, and gross feeling too. The plastics; what the hell did they do? My E92 dash was awesome, but this looks atrocious. Thank god it feels alright. The mirrors; how much extra does it cost for them to put the M4 ones on, like really? Adaptive sound or whatever it is; Why cant I go into iDrive and turn the bloody thing off? With a hearing test that proved I have over sensitive ears in a tone distinction manner the noise sounds gross, like listening to an exhaust clip through your iPhone. The engine; its a great engine, but I expect more out of a car like this. Burger tuning has stated that its pretty much maxed out on 91 octane which is a very depressing thought. The ride; it feels artificially stiff. Tone it back a bit or please add EDC next time BMW.

There is still plenty of positives to the car, but those were all covered in my initial comparisons.

The reason why I fell in love with BMW is because my best friend had an E46 M3. So many great memories with that machine. Machine feels cold, no it had so much emotion to it, the drive. My E92 was much closer to that, and if it wasn't for the ominous feeling of a fatal car crash creeping upon me, I would have kept. After the shininess has worn off, and the short lived grin of "i got the cool new rare one", the car feels cold and lifeless. It is not worth the financial sacrifice.

If you enjoy driving and lets say for convenience you have $50000 USD to spend I'm sure this is on your shortlist. I didn't go with the GT350 because, this has better build quality, I thought the interior would be "luxurious", the car looks good on the track, a date, and a business lunch. And this is someone who despises that idea. "Wow you drive a BMW you must be successful." No you stupid pleb I like the car itself; its a wonderful piece of engineering not some petty social status to flex on your Instagram. But to hell with all of that, if i'm spending $50000 I want heart beating thrills not social status points for inferiority complexes. And I made the wrong choice at the dollars per smiles department,

But at the end of the day,

They're just cars.

And maybe Im reading too much into it.
People aren't bashing you for being young, it's simply because you don't make much sense. You are comparing an M3 interior to an M2 interior. The higher number indicates higher pricing hence better quality. You also state that you went with the M2 over the GT350 because you "thought" the interior would be better. How do you "thought" before buying a $52,000 car? There are several articles out there that show pictures of the interior and what it is made out of. You are buying a car based on "hope" that the interior might be different? Are you still curious why people are bashing you?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #96
swoosh_SE
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 (6MT AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
I'm mad at the "young person" title of this thread-- making us look fickle and dumb all in one swoop.

I can barely understand the OP and im 28 LOL

edit- and yes i reiterated the young and dumb observations
I'm with you (I'm also 28). Not a single thing the OP wrote in post #1 has anything to do with age. Very confusing.

But then again, confusing, random rants about own preferences seem to be the essence of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #97
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-Tech View Post
You want something special, get a Lotus Exige S
They don't sell Elise/Exige in the US any more, doesn't pass crash test regs.
Appreciate 0