BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 3 Months Review; A Young Person's take.

04-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #23
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
Give the guy a break. He already has to deal with having to live in Edmonton.
That's harsh
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #24
MrSelfDestruct
Rep
Drives: M2

Give the guy a break; he has valid complaints. I have similar dislikes about my M2. However, I quite enjoy driving it.

I also have complaints about my Porsches. In some cases the M2 does things better.

Bottom line - these are first world problems. The M2 is a great all-rounder and a great value. I am pleased with my purchase.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2268.50
      04-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #25
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS+1 View Post
Quote:
That's harsh
It was a joke. I'm Canadian so I'm allowed to have a dig at him.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 2
VR-Tech117.00
      04-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #26
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

OP, one day when you're older and have more experience under your whipper snapper belt you'll look back at this thread and think to yourself "Wow, was I really that oblivious?". Or you'll be driving a Hyundai Genesis and never look back.
Appreciate 3
Kid Eh569.50
VR-Tech117.00
3Si216.50
      04-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #27
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

As a younger guy you want an adrenaline rush, I get it man, testosterone levels are higher when you're 25 than when you're 50.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #28
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
As a younger guy you want an adrenaline rush, I get it man, testosterone levels are higher when you're 25 than when you're 50.
Right, but try telling that to this guy lol

deemo3191748.00
JTO245271.50
M2Dynamic183.50
      04-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #29
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
Am I the only one thinking that you should not be buying anything if it amounts to a huge percentage of your "take-home" (yes, not gross) income?
      04-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #30
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I gotta say, I also got my car in January, and I have not spent ONE SECOND thinking about the leather or the trim. That is for two reasons. I knew what they would be before I bought the car, and more importantly, I didn't buy the car for trim. I know what a sumptuous interior is like--my Jaguar XKR is pretty damn nice inside. But that car has another purpose. THIS car is primarily for driving dynamics, so, as long as the interior isn't drastically shitty (and it is not even close to that), it looks good (and it does) and it sounds good (and it does) then what's left is what really matters.

I'm clearly much older than the OP, but that is what M means to me. Not a muscle car with umpteen interior decorating options, a bunch of electronics and a accordingly high price, not a ridiculously even higher-priced luxury car or, God help us, even a hopped-up SAV weighing 2.5 tons...but a small, tight car the obvious purpose of which is to provide enjoyment in the physical, tactile experience of driving, and driving fast wherever possible.

I could have done with less weight, and rev match I could turn off. And I have tweaked the car to my liking in other ways. But its basic goodness as an M is something that reminds me of my beloved E36 M--where the dollars went where they should always go for a car with a true M mission.
Appreciate 6
ddk632585.00
Kid Eh569.50
VR-Tech117.00
Robin_NL8716.00
reppucci339.50
M2Dynamic183.50
      04-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #31
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
Purchased in late January, I've had the pleasure of spending 3 months with the most beloved Fxx M car, and it has been an eye opening experience. This is the 2nd BMW I've owned, after a year with a rubish 08 E92 M3 with $70000 in total damages on it. I've written my contrasts on that here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7#post21583457

I hope this helps anyone who is unsure of what they're looking for because TL;DR it wasn't for me.

I'm writing this as a young person, who is very fortunate to be in this position and to tell other younger folk or those with less of an income, that yes this car is affordable. But does that mean its worth it? That is for you alone, potential buyer, to decide... but I'll leave my two cents anyways.

Also I should note this car has been in my dreams since its release, but ultimately it was an impulse decision. As I stated above, my M3 went from a used car with 14k worth of repairs on it, to one blessed with a highway tailgater and an insurance company a $1000 too cheap to write it off vs repair it. Add to the total an unlucky handbrake failure and my car albeit repaired was worth nothing by the time winter had come. But fate came my way after a series of unfortunate events and I managed to buy a 3000km used M2 for what I'm willing to wager less than anyone else on this forum got theirs for.

This car is sexy, its fast, its a joy to drive hard into corners. Its rare, its eye catching, full of torque; what more could a BMW enthusiast ask for? Well let me tell you. Sacrificing an alarming high percentage of my income, i'm ready to nit pick this car through.

The leather; although the quality is better than domestic stuff man oh man is it an eye sore, and gross feeling too. The plastics; what the hell did they do? My E92 dash was awesome, but this looks atrocious. Thank god it feels alright. The mirrors; how much extra does it cost for them to put the M4 ones on, like really? Adaptive sound or whatever it is; Why cant I go into iDrive and turn the bloody thing off? With a hearing test that proved I have over sensitive ears in a tone distinction manner the noise sounds gross, like listening to an exhaust clip through your iPhone. The engine; its a great engine, but I expect more out of a car like this. Burger tuning has stated that its pretty much maxed out on 91 octane which is a very depressing thought. The ride; it feels artificially stiff. Tone it back a bit or please add EDC next time BMW.

There is still plenty of positives to the car, but those were all covered in my initial comparisons.

The reason why I fell in love with BMW is because my best friend had an E46 M3. So many great memories with that machine. Machine feels cold, no it had so much emotion to it, the drive. My E92 was much closer to that, and if it wasn't for the ominous feeling of a fatal car crash creeping upon me, I would have kept. After the shininess has worn off, and the short lived grin of "i got the cool new rare one", the car feels cold and lifeless. It is not worth the financial sacrifice.

If you enjoy driving and lets say for convenience you have $50000 USD to spend I'm sure this is on your shortlist. I didn't go with the GT350 because, this has better build quality, I thought the interior would be "luxurious", the car looks good on the track, a date, and a business lunch. And this is someone who despises that idea. "Wow you drive a BMW you must be successful." No you stupid pleb I like the car itself; its a wonderful piece of engineering not some petty social status to flex on your Instagram. But to hell with all of that, if i'm spending $50000 I want heart beating thrills not social status points for inferiority complexes. And I made the wrong choice at the dollars per smiles department,

But at the end of the day,

They're just cars.

And maybe Im reading too much into it.
I had a 2011 E92 M3 (purchased new) with extended leather and the leather carbon fiber trim. I like the M2 interior. I'm not sure why people bash it so much. My M3 had the same synthetic material on top of the dash. It had more leather and it was nappa leather versus Dakota leather but honestly the m2 interior is more than adequate.

Have you seen the Porsche standard interior? Not too much different from the m2 ....

Love my M2 ....
      04-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #32
MrSelfDestruct
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
I had a 2011 E92 M3 (purchased new) with extended leather and the leather carbon fiber trim. I like the M2 interior. I'm not sure why people bash it so much. My M3 had the same synthetic material on top of the dash. It had more leather and it was nappa leather versus Dakota leather but honestly the m2 interior is more than adequate.

Have you seen the Porsche standard interior? Not too much different from the m2 ....

Love my M2 ....
Excellent point about Porsche standard interior. I agree. However, Porsche has many upgrade options I wish were available on the M2. I also understand why BMW has not made similar options available for this particular vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #33
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I genuinely have no idea what that ramble fest was. By the way is "gross" coming back as a term amongst the young? Never heard it in the context of a car other than when a drunk friend well....you know.

Like sooooo grosss dude like reallly??? Serioussssly!!!! Like come onnnn!!! This car is grossss!!! Ewwwww!!!
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      04-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #34
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
For the money you pay for the car the interior is a bummer.
this guy gets it

while the review was a mixture of late night restlessness and taking the piss out of the car; the interior is my biggest gripe. But I was also tempted to play a bit of devil's advocate and stir up some discussion.

Anyways, many of you have commented that I may be looking for something more luxuries. But thats not the case. I'm upset because the interior is not sporty enough. I want to feel a bit stiff getting out of the car while I can. I would be 100% more happy with the base cloth seats from the M4 than the things stuck in there. Alcantara would be beautiful, one could dream for a Recaro BMW collab on this car. I myself am quite quirky where I want something either super plush and fancy (hence my adoration of the timeless E92), or very minimal and 'racey'. But that might the rashness of youth.

Thankfully the cars in high demand and someone else will likely enjoy the car at this point; i've found a nice euro spec E36 M3 which has more of the characteristics I want at this point in life. I'm still quite a few years away until I yearn for something C63esque.

I appreciate everyones read and input.
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #35
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I may be born and raised in hell but to me but it beats living in the centre of the universe
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #36
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Quote:
I may be born and raised in hell but to me but it beats living in the centre of the universe
Truest thing you've said all day. Well done.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #37
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-Tech View Post
At OP, please define what you think defines an M car?

After you do so will may have a better way inigma decode what expectations you may have for a vehicle
I think in an ideal world, the M car is the road machine BMW has to produce, so they can go to the races. The thought of the car should take your mind daydreaming about speeding down rural German twistys on a cool day. And to me the M2 is in a weird purgatory between a byproduct of homologation and monotonous DD. Some of you may be quite content on the practicality scale but I yearn for the former. The glorious S54 & S65 felt uncompromised and made by true enthusiasts. The N55 simply doesn't match up. Sure the dynamics are there in the M2, but that is but a piece of the puzzle.
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT

Last edited by mWHO; 04-20-2017 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #38
Em-Two
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
For the money you pay for the car the interior is a bummer.
this guy gets it

while the review was a mixture of late night restlessness and taking the piss out of the car; the interior is my biggest gripe. But I was also tempted to play a bit of devil's advocate and stir up some discussion.

Anyways, many of you have commented that I may be looking for something more luxuries. But thats not the case. I'm upset because the interior is not sporty enough. I want to feel a bit stiff getting out of the car while I can. I would be 100% more happy with the base cloth seats from the M4 than the things stuck in there. Alcantara would be beautiful, one could dream for a Recaro BMW collab on this car. I myself am quite quirky where I want something either super plush and fancy (hence my adoration of the timeless E92), or very minimal and 'racey'. But that might the rashness of youth.

Thankfully the cars in high demand and someone else will likely enjoy the car at this point; i've found a nice euro spec E36 M3 which has more of the characteristics I want at this point in life. I'm still quite a few years away until I yearn for something C63esque.

I appreciate everyones read and input.
It was a good read but aren't seats easier to change than driving dynamics?
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      04-20-2017, 12:10 AM   #39
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
I think in an ideal world, the M car is the road machine BMW has to produce, so they can go to the races. The thought of the car should take your mind daydreaming about speeding down rural German twistys on a cool day. And to me the M2 is in a weird purgatory between a byproduct of homologation and monotonous DD. Some of you may be quite content on the practicality scale but I yearn for the later. The glorious S54 & S65 felt uncompromised and made by true enthusiasts. The N55 simply doesn't match up. Sure the dynamics are there in the M2, but that is but a piece of the puzzle.
I have no idea what those two sentences mean, taken together. Your writing style is...different.
Appreciate 2
Kid Eh569.50
3Si216.50
      04-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #40
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPurple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
Right, but try telling that to this guy lol

Is that SakhirM4 ? :
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:26 AM   #41
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Purchased in late January, I've had the pleasure of spending 3 months with the most beloved Fxx M car, and it has been an eye opening experience. This is the 2nd BMW I've owned, after a year with a rubish 08 E92 M3 with $70000 in total damages on it. I've written my contrasts on that here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7#post21583457

I hope this helps anyone who is unsure of what they're looking for because TL;DR it wasn't for me.

I'm writing this as a young person, who is very fortunate to be in this position and to tell other younger folk or those with less of an income, that yes this car is affordable. But does that mean its worth it? That is for you alone, potential buyer, to decide... but I'll leave my two cents anyways.

Also I should note this car has been in my dreams since its release, but ultimately it was an impulse decision. As I stated above, my M3 went from a used car with 14k worth of repairs on it, to one blessed with a highway tailgater and an insurance company a $1000 too cheap to write it off vs repair it. Add to the total an unlucky handbrake failure and my car albeit repaired was worth nothing by the time winter had come. But fate came my way after a series of unfortunate events and I managed to buy a 3000km used M2 for what I'm willing to wager less than anyone else on this forum got theirs for.

This car is sexy, its fast, its a joy to drive hard into corners. Its rare, its eye catching, full of torque; what more could a BMW enthusiast ask for? Well let me tell you. Sacrificing an alarming high percentage of my income, i'm ready to nit pick this car through.

The leather; although the quality is better than domestic stuff man oh man is it an eye sore, and gross feeling too. The plastics; what the hell did they do? My E92 dash was awesome, but this looks atrocious. Thank god it feels alright. The mirrors; how much extra does it cost for them to put the M4 ones on, like really? Adaptive sound or whatever it is; Why cant I go into iDrive and turn the bloody thing off? With a hearing test that proved I have over sensitive ears in a tone distinction manner the noise sounds gross, like listening to an exhaust clip through your iPhone. The engine; its a great engine, but I expect more out of a car like this. Burger tuning has stated that its pretty much maxed out on 91 octane which is a very depressing thought. The ride; it feels artificially stiff. Tone it back a bit or please add EDC next time BMW.

There is still plenty of positives to the car, but those were all covered in my initial comparisons.

The reason why I fell in love with BMW is because my best friend had an E46 M3. So many great memories with that machine. Machine feels cold, no it had so much emotion to it, the drive. My E92 was much closer to that, and if it wasn't for the ominous feeling of a fatal car crash creeping upon me, I would have kept. After the shininess has worn off, and the short lived grin of "i got the cool new rare one", the car feels cold and lifeless. It is not worth the financial sacrifice.

If you enjoy driving and lets say for convenience you have $50000 USD to spend I'm sure this is on your shortlist. I didn't go with the GT350 because, this has better build quality, I thought the interior would be "luxurious", the car looks good on the track, a date, and a business lunch. And this is someone who despises that idea. "Wow you drive a BMW you must be successful." No you stupid pleb I like the car itself; its a wonderful piece of engineering not some petty social status to flex on your Instagram. But to hell with all of that, if i'm spending $50000 I want heart beating thrills not social status points for inferiority complexes. And I made the wrong choice at the dollars per smiles department,

But at the end of the day,

They're just cars.

And maybe Im reading too much into it.
This TOTALLY has to be CosmosMpower Ghost writing !

Well. Just in case I'm wrong.. I *seriously* think that at @mWHO should quickly turn his M2 into an M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #42
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I have no idea what those two sentences mean, taken together. Your writing style is...different.
Proofreading now I mixed up the terms 'former' and 'latter'. But regardless if you think of it on the M3 spectrum the E30 was the closest to the 'race car' and the F80 is the most comfortable and friendly; ie. DD ready. I wished for the M2 to be much closer to its grandfather as opposed to its modern big brother. Is that comprehendible?
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #43
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Proofreading now I mixed up the terms 'former' and 'latter'. But regardless if you think of it on the M3 spectrum the E30 was the closest to the 'race car' and the F80 is the most comfortable and friendly; ie. DD ready. I wished for the M2 to be much closer to its grandfather as opposed to its modern big brother. Is that comprehendible?
I can drink to that !
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:37 AM   #44
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
I genuinely have no idea what that ramble fest was. By the way is "gross" coming back as a term amongst the young? Never heard it in the context of a car other than when a drunk friend well....you know.

Like sooooo grosss dude like reallly??? Serioussssly!!!! Like come onnnn!!! This car is grossss!!! Ewwwww!!!
Appreciate 0