BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Valet tipping etiquette

04-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #23
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

I never ask for preferential service my cars are not at that level, $3 to $5 depending on service is it for me. Never below 20% on food/drinks unless the entire service , chef, waiter, bar service totally sucked, but bringing my car back 3/5 bucks is more than enough even if they run to get it. Average $30 an hour at a busy spot is good money for non skilled labor.
      04-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #24
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
It's incentive to get a better job. Which I'm hoping most of them eventually do
So they can dress better, maybe? SMH ...

Almost all people with this attitude (and others) have probably never worked in a service industry -- which, I might add, is where many new jobs are coming from in this country. It can be lucrative -- quite lucrative -- and there are plenty of people out there who enjoy the work and don't want to do anything else. I'm not saying that most valet staff fall into that category, but those who I've known do it because it's a good gig to have compared to a lot of others at its level.

The tipping model is flawed, to be sure. But there are those who far prefer that over a set wage in certain types of jobs -- valet being one of them. What it is is incentive to learn how to be of good service to others, which is a valuable skill in pretty much any profession.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #25
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
It's incentive to get a better job. Which I'm hoping most of them eventually do

Almost all people with this attitude (and others) have probably never worked in a service industry -- which, I might add, is where many new jobs are coming from in this country. It can be lucrative -- quite lucrative -- and there are plenty of people out there who enjoy the work and don't want to do anything else. I'm not saying that most valet staff fall into that category, but those who I've known do it because it's a good gig to have compared to a lot of others at its level.

The tipping model is flawed, to be sure. But there are those who far prefer that over a set wage in certain types of jobs -- valet being one of them. What it is is incentive to learn how to be of good service to others, which is a valuable skill in pretty much any profession.
On top of what VM said which in my personal experience rings 100% true, you've gotta respect people who hustle. Don't care what the job is, do it well and take pride in it. I know valets, shoe shine guys, doormen, who are older guys who just enjoy having something to do, being around people and talking to their regular customers, and do a really good job.

Spend some time in Asia and your perspective will shift. I met one guy in Shanghai who owns a tiny little shop. Literally all this guy does all day every day for his entire life is make scallion pancakes. That's it. His whole life he's done nothing else. Another guy I saw in Tokyo his spine was permanently fucked up from spending 60 years bouncing on his side on a giant rolling pin to make noodles. That's all he's ever done. They make next to nothing but are literally the best in the world at what they do. I'm not comparing that to parking cars, but at the same time prestige of job does not have to equal merits of respecting the person doing it.

My father's a physician now but he spent summers as a kid working in a tire factory to help put food on the table. I never judge anyone doing any job no matter how bad it seems to me beyond are the working hard and taking some pride in whatever they're doing.
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
YWGT3362.50
      04-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #26
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
That's fine and all but how does that justify $10-20 to move my car 50'? There's some artistry and artisanal value in the examples you named above. There isn't one iota of artistry or artisanal value in moving a car.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #27
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Which gets back to my point that the whole tipping culture is insane, boggles my mind how it came to this. Just pay the man ffs.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Which gets back to my point that the whole tipping culture is insane, boggles my mind how it came to this. Just pay the man ffs.
All it takes is to go to a nice restaurant in Europe vs in the US. Tip based wages certainly make for a rewards based service. Valet may not be the ne plus ultra of the model, but I'll take someone relying on my tip well before a well paid service person who gives two f's if I enjoy my experience.
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50
      04-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #29
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
That's fine and all but how does that justify $10-20 to move my car 50'? There's some artistry and artisanal value in the examples you named above. There isn't one iota of artistry or artisanal value in moving a car.
Dude you are missing the entire point of the thread. I am not talking about giving my car to anyone else to drive. OP asked about parking it himself. In situations where the valet lets me break the rules and do what I want, and doesn't lay a finger on my car, I pay for the ability to do that. The more outside the norm what I want is from what the standard procedure is, the more I pay. OP was asking what others do, that's what I do. What you do has zero bearing on my view of this. If I can't park my car myself and they won't let me do as I want, then it's $5 no more.

Think the whole point of the discussion was not to focus on normal give the guy your keys and watch him drive off in your car. Anyone who wasn't raised in a barn should know that's anything up to $5 depending on the place and the quality of service. For this outside the norm situation OP didn't know what to do and wisely polled the group rather than make an ass of himself.

My point with those examples which are "menial" jobs by western standards is that no matter what you do, do it well. Valet parking included.

Last edited by BEM-S4; 04-19-2017 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #30
Vitacura
Ich Liebe mein BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i CV, 23 X1

When valet has to park my car or drive to a garage, I usually tip $5.
Here in Tampa where I may want to keep the car upfront near the entrance for example, Berns/Ocean Prime restaurants I am wondering if $20 is customary.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #31
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Dude you are missing the entire point of the thread. I am not talking about giving my car to anyone else to drive. OP asked about parking it himself. In situations where the valet lets me break the rules and do what I want, and doesn't lay a finger on my car, I pay for the ability to do that. The more outside the norm what I want is from what the standard procedure is, the more I pay. OP was asking what others do, that's what I do.
Yeah, there's a reading comprehension problem going on in here.

But I appreciate everyone's responses, regardless.
      04-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #32
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

I have close friends that did valet while in high school. Nothing wrong with that. I was being facetious but perhaps you misconstrued. And good catch. I do it intentionally because I hate sterotypes and presumptuous salesmen. It's an easy way to filter the shitty dealerships. I worked sales for a long time. A person's appearance is not an indication of wealth.
      04-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #33
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
I have close friends that did valet while in high school. Nothing wrong with that. I was being facetious but perhaps you misconstrued. And good catch. I do it intentionally because I hate sterotypes and presumptuous salesmen. It's an easy way to filter the shitty dealerships. I worked sales for a long time. A person's appearance is not an indication of wealth.
It's also an easy way for those types of people to not take you seriously.

Newsflash: Those salespeople are not necessarily being presumptuous. They are judging your potential based on how you present yourself. Good salespeople do this well. Good judges of anything related to people do this well.

Here's an example: If I'm interviewing two males for a job, and the only real difference between the two is one is wearing an off-the-rack Armani suit while the other is wearing a well-tailored Jos A Bank suit, guess which one I'd hire? Jos A Bank man.

Presentation matters, no matter your resources. You don't have to wear your resources on your back (sic) to be taken seriously. But you do have to show others who don't know you from Joe Schmo (sic) that you have your sh** together.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #34
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M BE4ST View Post
I think those of us that have worked for tips before may be a little more generous.. a dollar is not a tip for anything.
Well, pouring a pint of beer deserves no more than a dollar.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #35
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

Newsflash: Those salespeople are not necessarily being presumptuous. They are judging your potential based on how you present yourself. Good salespeople do this well. Good judges of anything related to people do this well.

Here's an example: If I'm interviewing two males for a job, and the only real difference between the two is one is wearing an off-the-rack Armani suit while the other is wearing a well-tailored Jos A Bank suit, guess which one I'd hire? Jos A Bank man.

Presentation matters, no matter your resources. You don't have to wear your resources on your back (sic) to be taken seriously. But you do have to show others who don't know you from Joe Schmo (sic) that you have your sh** together.
A Jos A Bank man? Really. Do you give him a bonus if he's wearing a Timex?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #36
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:

A Jos A Bank man? Really. Do you give him a bonus if he's wearing a Timex?
Ed Snider the billionaire owner of the Flyers among other things wore a Timex every day of his life.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #37
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Ed Snider the billionaire owner of the Flyers among other things wore a Timex every day of his life.
Oh, crap. I wasn't trying to disparage Timex at all. Sorry. I was just trying to draw a comparison with Jos A Bank suits. Both are fine products for their purposes, but certainly not considered high-end in terms of being well dressed.

In my experience, there is no correlation between how one dresses for business and their ability and results. So, to use what suit (or watch) a candidate is wearing as critical hiring criteria not the most important thing. Some of the smartest and most successful people I know are not fine dressers.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #38
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:
Oh, crap. I wasn't trying to disparage Timex at all. Sorry. I was just trying to draw a comparison with Jos A Bank suits. Both are fine products for their purposes, but certainly not considered high-end in terms of being well dressed.

In my experience, there is no correlation between how one dresses for business and their ability and results. So, to use what suit (or watch) a candidate is wearing as critical hiring criteria not the most important thing. Some of the smartest and most successful people I know are not fine dressers.
Don't confuse how one dresses with what one is wearing. Let me explain. I hire people regularly. To build on VM's example, I'd hire someone with perfectly polished $100 Rockports on versus someone coming in for an interview with $2k Santonis thatbwere scuffed to hell. Forget the fact that I want people who are hungry and ready to work as opposed to fat and lazy, there's an attention to detail that's important to most jobs. People aren't; in my experience, careful in one aspect of life and careless in others.

You don't need to spend $10k to look good. My brother wears custom Brioni head to toe every single day and looks like shit most of the time. You can do just fine at suit supply if you take care of your shit.

And lots of really really smart people, like top 1% of 1%, dress like shit and can't carry on a conversation. But It doesn't matter. The rest of us "normal folk" have to look borderline respectable and sane.
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11113.50
Viffermike1753.00
      04-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #39
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:

Presentation is a factor, not the factor. But car buying is not a job interview. I don't feel the need to impress at a car dealership, unlike a job interview. People buy exotic cars in jeans and polos but can't buy fords in the same clothing?
      04-19-2017, 11:45 PM   #40
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

$2 bucks max. I'm a really stingy guy when it comes to parting with $$ on things I don't care for. If a valet doesn't like me cause I didn't give him another couple bucks I really don't care. It's not like they'll still remember after an hour.

The only time I valet is if I'm staying in a hotel where cheaper parking is a long walk. Nobody touches my ride but me.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      04-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #41
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'm split on this idea. While I agree with you, I have noticed in places like Europe, where tips are not customary, a lot of waiters/waitresses don't give a shyt about providing good service. Tips incentivize people to work harder.
Appreciate 2
Violator4587.50
paliknight2186.50
      04-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #42
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

Quote:

The more I think about it, the more I think that tipping a valet is dumb from go. That's not really a "level of service" type or job in the first place. They can't really go "above and beyond" or check back with you like a restaurant server. They just park your car. That's it. Makes no sense to pay extra for NOT completely fucking it up. They should be paid a real wage and call it a day.

I partially agree with this. It would be better in a lot of ways to just get paid an actual wage, but there are definitely things a Valet can do to go above and beyond.

For example, I always sprinted to get the car and got it back to the customer as fast as possible, especially in the cold or in non favorable weather. Also, I always turn on headlights for customers when it's dark so they won't forget to, I never adjust the seat or mirrors and leave it to their personal settings, and when I Tell them if i have the parking brake on or not, and I Leave the AC, Radio, etc. exactly how I found it and never mess with it. And If you hold the car door for the customer it helps a lot on tip, esp. with the elderly.

Some of my co-workers were really shitty and didn't do those things and got shitty tips. The running to the car is a big one, but most of these things are really little in the grand scheme of things and Valet probably would be better off paid a flat hourly rate.
      04-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #43
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Yeah, there's a reading comprehension problem going on in here.

But I appreciate everyone's responses, regardless.
No comprehension issue at all, just a somewhat tangential conversation. To bend the rules and allow you to self-park, I think a $20 is appropriate, but others have said that already. Now can we get back to bitching about tipping valets in general? lol

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #44
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'm split on this idea. While I agree with you, I have noticed in places like Europe, where tips are not customary, a lot of waiters/waitresses don't give a shyt about providing good service. Tips incentivize people to work harder.
I call bullshit.

Service sucks everywhere, tipping is expected in the states and in Canada, there's no fuckign way you can leave a bar or restaurant without tipping and not be just about lynched.

Europeans just don't give a fuck in general as they don't work anywhere near as hard as in the US, Canada or Australia (for better or worse).
Appreciate 0