BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Wash, Dry and Polish 101

04-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Wash, Dry and Polish 101

I'm no expert when it comes to washing by hand but with this car I would like to get into it. I've heard many talk about two bucket method and big red mitt etc. Can some share what they do and what they use? Like a Stage 1 kit for a hand wash, how they do it and what products used.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I'm no expert when it comes to washing by hand but with this car I would like to get into it. I've heard many talk about two bucket method and big red mitt etc. Can some share what they do and what they use? Like a Stage 1 kit for a hand wash, how they do it and what products used.
Hand wash:

Needed: Pressure washer, foam cannon, 2 buckets with grit guard and wash mitt, drying towels

One bucket should have water and the other can have a soap solution...

1. Rinse car with pressure washer to clean loose dust and dirt.
2. Foam cannon every panel (optional, but saves time)
3. Go over the car with a wash mitt in straight lines front to back (no circles)
4. Squeeze out excess water and dirt in the bucket with water.
5. Dunk in the other bucket of soap and repeat until all panels are washed.
6. Rinse again
7. Dry

Tons of soap options, but Adams products have been solid. Their H20 Guard and Gloss is awesome for drying and shining at the same time.
Appreciate 1
quikM2371.00
      04-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
salmonbum
Banned
Rep

In each bucket, use a grit guard. After each soap pass with microfiber mitt, put it in water bucket and scrub the mit on grit guard. Dirt will fall off and sink to bottom. Basically rinsing the mitt after every pass.

I use a 3 bucket method. 3rd bucket is wheels only, which is where I start. It consists of a mitt, brushes, lug brush, etc. These tools never touch paint. I do each wheel and wheel well one at a time before I start the car.

Improper drying is what also scratches a car. After my soap and rinse, I do a final rinse with di-ionized water. This way I never have to touch paint to dry. I will use my air compressor to blow water out of cracks. If you don't have air, yous the water sheeting method (goggle) which will remove most water. Then use a damp microfiber, folded to give you 8 fresh sides. After each pass ring out and goto new side.this will tarp any missed dirt in micro and switching each pass helps to keep that dirt where it belongs.With this method I would use a microfiber per panel.
Appreciate 1
quikM2371.00
      04-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Hand wash:

Needed: Pressure washer, foam cannon, 2 buckets with grit guard and wash mitt, drying towels

3. Go over the car with a wash mitt in straight lines front to back (no circles)
6. Rinse again
7. Dry

Tons of soap options, but Adams products have been solid. Their H20 Guard and Gloss is awesome for drying and shining at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonbum View Post
In each bucket, use a grit guard. After each soap pass with microfiber mitt, put it in water bucket and scrub the mit on grit guard. Dirt will fall off and sink to bottom. Basically rinsing the mitt after every pass.

I use a 3 bucket method. 3rd bucket is wheels only, which is where I start. It consists of a mitt, brushes, lug brush, etc. These tools never touch paint. I do each wheel and wheel well one at a time before I start the car.

Improper drying is what also scratches a car. After my soap and rinse, I do a final rinse with di-ionized water. This way I never have to touch paint to dry. I will use my air compressor to blow water out of cracks. If you don't have air, yous the water sheeting method (goggle) which will remove most water. Then use a damp microfiber, folded to give you 8 fresh sides. After each pass ring out and goto new side.this will tarp any missed dirt in micro and switching each pass helps to keep that dirt where it belongs.With this method I would use a microfiber per panel.
What would be a good starter kit of products? like 3 or 4 of the essentials nothing crazy? i have the full front end XPEL and then the cquartzUK sealant on the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Hand wash:

6. Rinse again
7. Dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonbum View Post

What would be a good starter kit of products? like 3 or 4 of the essentials nothing crazy? i have the full front end XPEL and then the cquartzUK sealant on the whole car.
I use

Exterior: Adams shampoo for soap, sonax full effect wheel cleaner, microfiber wash mitt (unsure of brand), and Sonax polymer net shield as a sealant (may be optional since you have cquartz on there, but certainly can't hurt). I've also used 1z Glanz wax and Meguiars (*gasp*) NXT Tech wax as alternatives. The nxt is cheap and works and smells great! Waxes are shinier, but not as hydrophobic or long lasting as the sonax PNS, which is not as shiny but lasts for 4-6mos easy.

Also use Adams quick detail spray for spot dirt removal, etc.

I use Adams H20 Gloss and guard (water activated protectant) and waffle weave towels to dry the car.

Adams VRT for black trim and tire dressing.

Interior: 1z Cockpit premium interior detail spray and have leather masters stuff for upholstery, but haven't used them on the M2 seats yet.

My car is a few months old and is also ceramic coated and xpeled so I haven't been that diligent with the detailing yet. I have used the above products on a black car with very good results.

This is at 5yrs/57000mi:

[IMG]http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/...pss4ksraun.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I got this kit by ordering it from costco. Come with a ton of stuff, but you will need a second or third bucket. Picked those up at a hardware store. It only comes with one mitt so I bought a 2 pack from amazon so I could have one dedicated for wheels. Also not sure if this foam gun works with pressure washer but will work with regular hose.

https://www.costco.com/Chemical-Guys...100291210.html

From costco (in store) I also got these kirkland MF towels 36 pack. The online store only has the 324 count... https://www.costco.com/.product.100341124.html

I also got some Optimum no Rinse from amazon that I keep in a spray bottle for a quick clean or bug guts or bird or whatever. I also use the ONR if I am going to do a no rinse wash if the car has minimal dirt. Look up on youtube how to do an ONR full car wash if this interest you.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep

Dose anyone have a product they feel works well on the Dakota Leather interior? it's coated in like urethane or whatever so I am not even sure if it needs a leather care product or plastic care product...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Dose anyone have a product they feel works well on the Dakota Leather interior? it's coated in like urethane or whatever so I am not even sure if it needs a leather care product or plastic care product...
It doesn't...just calls for a wipe down with a damp cloth. As you'd written, the urethane coating prevents products from penetrating
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
It doesn't...just calls for a wipe down with a damp cloth. As you'd written, the urethane coating prevents products from penetrating
Mine on the driver side left bottom bolster doesn't seem to be holding up so well. Not really sure what to do but it seems odd to have so much wear and tear on it already and not even really sure there is a product that can help. Has anyone had any luck with a product on Dakota leather? Maybe mine didn't get much coating in that area as a factory defect? It's weird.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 04:55 AM   #10
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That's a problem that affects most 2 series, the leather gets a lot of wear there with entry & exit from the car.

What I did on my 228i and will be doing on my M2 will be coding in the seat moving on door opening and turning the engine on. This moves the seat back for entry & exit which reduces the wear slightly.
Appreciate 0